not cleaning the main trunk

leofry

Feb 12, 2009
bardstown kentucky
Real Name
john rogers
ok for you that are using the ram air system or a similar system. the Ram air does not teach you to cut into the main duct line .. whats the thoughts on this ? do you not believe. it needs cleaning ?

am not arguing am just curious

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
It all depends on the condition of each house differently. Whether it has floor vents or ceiling vents. How old the unit is, whether or not it was neglected, etc.

I rarely am able to tap into the main supply line or trunk. But I have good feedback on my customers being happy with the job.

Cat 3

Dec 19, 2014
Real Name
Kevin West
We always get the main trunk line, hook up negative air at or near the plenum, then clean with reverse ball or air whip from the other end. It add time to the job but we get a lot of referrals from heating companies because they know we are thorough. I have found once you educate clients on the difference between a ram air type set up and a true negative air process and explain to them that we can get most of the system they almost always take a deep breath and then pay my rates.

Reactions: ronman

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
A negative air system that taps into the main trunk line will remove a lot more soil and dbris that Ram Air will not. No argument there. The question then becomes, "Is it necessary to remove that additional soil?"

The philosophy with Ram Air and similar sytems - The air handler in the sytem is what would blow any soils out of the ducts and into the breathing air space of the home. Cleaning with Ram Air or similar systems uses the full pwoer of the systems air handler, plus air compressor, plus the vauum of the truckmount to loosen and remove soil. If the soil doesn't come out with the combined power of all 3 forces, it is not likely to come out with the air handler alone after youa re done cleaning.

So, Ram Air may leave some dirt behind. But if that soil stays in the duct work and never comes out, is it really doing any harm?

Maybe it comes out over extended period of time. Maybe there is enough soil and debris to restrict air flow. (Some construction guy left his lunch in the trunk line.) How clean do the ducts need to be? That is the difference in philosophy.

Reactions: ronman

Cat 3

Dec 19, 2014
Real Name
Kevin West
I can tell you I used to use Ram Air and a heating company came in after we cleaned ducts to do some sort of repair and I got a call from the home owner very upset because the heating company noted they need to clean the ducts after opening the trunk line and I was extremely embarrassed and now always clean the main trunk as you never know who may inspect it after you are done. We all advertise duct cleaning and home owners assume you clean all the ducts, not just 15' into each supply.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
A negative air system that taps into the main trunk line will remove a lot more soil and dbris that Ram Air will not. No argument there. The question then becomes, "Is it necessary to remove that additional soil?"

The philosophy with Ram Air and similar sytems - The air handler in the sytem is what would blow any soils out of the ducts and into the breathing air space of the home. Cleaning with Ram Air or similar systems uses the full pwoer of the systems air handler, plus air compressor, plus the vauum of the truckmount to loosen and remove soil. If the soil doesn't come out with the combined power of all 3 forces, it is not likely to come out with the air handler alone after youa re done cleaning.

So, Ram Air may leave some dirt behind. But if that soil stays in the duct work and never comes out, is it really doing any harm?

Maybe it comes out over extended period of time. Maybe there is enough soil and debris to restrict air flow. (Some construction guy left his lunch in the trunk line.) How clean do the ducts need to be? That is the difference in philosophy.
Yes .... Full of contaminants after the blower still in the main supply. That air passes over that crap.
On the cold air return side .... still filthy means for replacing filter often as it gets dirty very quickly because mains were left untouched.
Loads of contaminants left still in main cold air too Scott. Again the air they breath passes through that crap.

Reactions: ronman and leofry