Northstar burner | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Northstar burner

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Just bought a van set up for a family member to start a cleaning biz. Truckmount runs good, but doesn't have any HX or heater. I think the guy might have kept or sold the heater to someone else. This family member lives 10 minutes from Northern Tool. To me it seems logical to get the diesel heater Northern offers for 1500 to use as his heater. However the guy at northern tool was no help in telling me if it will work in a carpet cleaning set up. Two questions. 1) Is it possible? 2) How hard is it?

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Yes it can be done. Not hard to do but a Little Giant is easier to install. Little Giant needs no power at all or any venting.
Northstar will need to be plugged into a 15 amp circuit to run or plugged into a big ass inverter that will run off your van. Most likely your van will have to run to give power to the inverter so heater will run. Will need a 6 to 7 inch round vent to vent the smoke out of the van.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
What model truck mount is it ?
Avenger 210 is the truckmount, but I think whoever had it before modified it alot. All that is on it basically is an 18 hp motor, 36 blower, and 5 CP cat pump.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Yes it can be done. Not hard to do but a Little Giant is easier to install. Little Giant needs no power at all or any venting. Northstar will need to be plugged into a 15 amp circuit to run or plugged into a big ass inverter that will run off your van. Most likely your van will have to run to give power to the inverter so heater will run. Will need a 6 to 7 inch round vent to vent the smoke out of the van.
Once the Northstar is lit it doesn't stay lit like a lil giant?

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Flow switch will turn the burner on and off. There will be a spark between two electrodes while switch is on but no diesel/kerosene fuel flowing until the flow switch senses flow then it will turn the fuel on and you got fire. Person can put a computer on it and have more control over the heater if it has a Beckett burner but I don't think it is necessary. If you provide good power to the heater you shouldn't have any problems.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Flow switch will turn the burner on and off. There will be a spark between two electrodes while switch is on but no diesel/kerosene fuel flowing until the flow switch senses flow then it will turn the fuel on and you got fire. Person can put a computer on it and have more control over the heater if it has a Beckett burner but I don't think it is necessary. If you provide good power to the heater you shouldn't have any problems.
Is there anything else I will need to buy besides just the burner? Sounds like you might know of some things. Can you please list them?

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Is there anything else I will need to buy besides just the burner? Sounds like you might know of some things. Can you please list them?
You will need a jumper hose from pump to heater. Keep the hose no smaller than 3/8. You can put pressure washer quick connects on if you like.

You will need to change out the flow switch to a lower flow one if you want the heater to fire with an upholstery tool .

You can put a check valve on the inlet of the heater to keep hot water from coming back to the pump and melting it.

You can also install a safety valve so if the heater builds up too much pressure it will pop the valve instead of blowing your coil.

End of hose coming from pump should be first flow switch, second check valve, third saftey valve then attach hose to inlet of heater.

Should be able to find a picture in an old thread on TMF.

Dultmeier or Kleen Rite should have the parts.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
You will need a jumper hose from pump to heater. Keep the hose no smaller than 3/8. You can put pressure washer quick connects on if you like. You will need to change out the flow switch to a lower flow one if you want the heater to fire with an upholstery tool . You can put a check valve on the inlet of the heater to keep hot water from coming back to the pump and melting it. You can also install a safety valve so if the heater builds up too much pressure it will pop the valve instead of blowing your coil. End of hose coming from pump should be first flow switch, second check valve, third saftey valve then attach hose to inlet of heater. Should be able to find a picture in an old thread on TMF. Dultmeier or Kleen Rite should have the parts.
That's definitely a lot for somebody new to burners to figure out. Wouldn't happen to have some pics would you? Sorry for asking for so much, but man you are helpful! Also do you think if I ran kerosene it would have less soot?

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
definitely will work but diesel heaters are kinda messy. I would just go with a little giant and propane.

The northstars are great for open layout pressure washing set ups.

If the person your helping is going to be servicing any townhomes or parking in a somewhat less ventilated area while cleaning on any jobs then I wouldnt go with diesel. Usually just a big city thing but our trucks sometimes have to park in a shared driveway area and you dont want that exhaust from diesel getting in peoples windows

the price is good on them though, a #4 little giant is about $600 more

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
definitely will work but diesel heaters are kinda messy. I would just go with a little giant and propane.

The northstars are great for open layout pressure washing set ups.

If the person your helping is going to be servicing any townhomes or parking in a somewhat less ventilated area while cleaning on any jobs then I wouldnt go with diesel. Usually just a big city thing but our trucks sometimes have to park in a shared driveway area and you dont want that exhaust from diesel getting in peoples windows

the price is good on them though, a #4 little giant is about $600 more
Totally agree. I would not want diesel either in that situation. Propane would be better

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
That's definitely a lot for somebody new to burners to figure out. Wouldn't happen to have some pics would you? Sorry for asking for so much, but man you are helpful! Also do you think if I ran kerosene it would have less soot?
I went out an looked at my old Northstar and I don't have the fittings together anymore to take a picture. Old phone broke that had the pictures.

Probably looking around $200.00 or more if you go down and buy all parts, brass fittings to put it together and a jumper hose.

I would use a good pipe dope or high quality Teflon tape the yellow stuff.

Only thing I can offer you is a bracket to hold some of the weight of the fittings. I can build you one to fit the North Star.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
I can build it all but you would be paying shipping twice on some parts because I don't have the check, valve, safety valve so I would have to order them but I can get the hose made, brass fittings and stuff.

Kerosene is a cleaner burn if you can get a good price on it.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
The one thing about the northstars is everytime I see one in a carpet cleaning truck its a huge mess, soot everywhere around the vent.. sometimes all over the place

in general I love diesel but its a dirty fuel

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
The one thing about the northstars is everytime I see one in a carpet cleaning truck its a huge mess, soot everywhere around the vent.. sometimes all over the place

in general I love diesel but its a dirty fuel
Yes it can be a mess. Especially if the heater is malfunctioning or doesn't have a proper fitting vent. Windex with ammonia in it or any cleaner with ammonia it will clean the soot better than other cleaners I have found. Might be something better that will clean it but I haven't found anything

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
I can build it all but you would be paying shipping twice on some parts because I don't have the check, valve, safety valve so I would have to order them but I can get the hose made, brass fittings and stuff. Kerosene is a cleaner burn if you can get a good price on it.
Wouldn't happen to live in Georgia would you lol? I think if I just had a picture of all the parts, I could show my local pressure washer guy, and he could help me. My family member lives beside a gas station that sells kerosene for 3.50-4.00 a gallon. At that price, and if the fuel burns cleaner, I will make him use kerosene.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I have had 3 north tools heaters in the last 10-12 years.....no problem
I haven't run diesel in 10 years only kerosene.....burns hotter and less fuel
Only need to twerk 2 things imo
1. Change the fittings to fit Smaller hose
2. Tweak the fuel flow to around 1/4 gpm
A pressure washer place can do this for
100-150$
3. Of course vent out the side or back
...also get the dc model if you don't won't 120 v

I will never use hx.....ever
Also imo safer than propane and easier
To fuel up

Reactions: Cameron RDS

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
I have had 3 north tools heaters in the last 10-12 years.....no problem I haven't run diesel in 10 years only kerosene.....burns hotter and less fuel Only need to twerk 2 things imo 1. Change the fittings to fit Smaller hose 2. Tweak the fuel flow to around 1/4 gpm A pressure washer place can do this for 100-150$ 3. Of course vent out the side or back ...also get the dc model if you don't won't 120 v I will never use hx.....ever Also imo safer than propane and easier To fuel up
What part do I need to tweak the flow? Pic please :)

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
I have had 3 north tools heaters in the last 10-12 years.....no problem
I haven't run diesel in 10 years only kerosene.....burns hotter and less fuel
Only need to twerk 2 things imo
1. Change the fittings to fit Smaller hose
2. Tweak the fuel flow to around 1/4 gpm
A pressure washer place can do this for
100-150$
3. Of course vent out the side or back
...also get the dc model if you don't won't 120 v

I will never use hx.....ever
Also imo safer than propane and easier
To fuel up

?
What part do I need to tweak the flow? Pic please :)
Can't get a pic right now
But it is called a fuel flow regulator?????
I have never messed w it myself
Just call a local pressure washer place to change it out.....
He said I cud change it myself but had him do it for around 100$
If you will send your cell # I'll try to get a pic tomorow

Reactions: Cameron RDS