Noobs, know when to run away......very, very fast | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Noobs, know when to run away......very, very fast

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I got a call to "freshen up" a living room and half set of stairs in a marina, lake front holiday/weekend home. Home is in the 1.2/1.5 million range I would guess. I quoted her about $150 to freshen it up.
Alarm bell number 1.
Can I 'Just" flick over a cushion, it had a small spill on it for the same price?
Sure.
She called today and gave me the garage door code as she will not be there.
Alarm bell number 2
Just leave me a bill and I will send you a cheque sometime next week.
Sorry, we dont do that but I can call you for a credit card number.
Alarm bell number 3
Well, how do I know you will do a good enough job.
You already told me it just needs a freshen up and thats what I quoted you, how can I not do a good job? More to the point, how do i know you will pay me?
Alarm bell number 4
I want all the furniture moved and the cushion done both sides, and make sure you get all the dog pee out of the carpet.
Well, thats not what we discussed, whats the issue with the cushion.
Dog peed on it too, both sides. But I wont be paying you any more, I am on a tight budget with two homes to look after.
OK, I think you need to reschedule for when you can actually be there, so shall I just cancel for now?
Thats what we did, and I am more than OK with it. Even when new to this business I would have done the same thing. Its just not worth the grief.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Yeah, I'm new at cc and I would have stopped her between alarm 2 and 3 number 4 would have been walk away. Especially the urine surprise and won't be paying anymore for it part.

Sent from my SM-G900T using TMF Forums mobile app

timmoore

Mar 20, 2013
murfreesboro tn
www.tlcjanitorial.net
Real Name
Tim Moore
Business Location
United States
I hate when their second home is $1.5 mil and they lay that poor old me routine. Then, get rid of one of your homes and live within your budget like I do.
You mean you only live in one 2 millions dollar home and don't have a second one

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
My mind would have stop processing her voice after alarm2. Im COD unless its a contracted account. First time customer, forget about it. Only my interior decorators can pay later for res. Good call.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
It sounds like you handled it exactly as I would have.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I'm too nice of an idiot:mad:, and stuff like this has happened to me. I'm going to a "little" water extraction today for a lady that is just like your description here. She has all this stuff (houses, airplane, property, vehicles, doctors office, etc.) and she his literally in debt up to her eyebrows.

I get more and more strict on my prices every time she calls, hoping that she won't call back, and she still does. Every other carpet cleaner must reject her calls.

Wish me the best

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I'm too nice of an idiot:mad:, and stuff like this has happened to me. I'm going to a "little" water extraction today for a lady that is just like your description here. She has all this stuff (houses, airplane, property, vehicles, doctors office, etc.) and she his literally in debt up to her eyebrows.

I get more and more strict on my prices every time she calls, hoping that she won't call back, and she still does. Every other carpet cleaner must reject her calls.

Wish me the best
As long as you get paid and work to your terms its all good.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
Its funny, because a few weeks ago we were called out to urgently (today please) clean a basement that had flooded and dried out. So I thought ok then and we turned up. It was a sewer back up and the owner wanted to be really cheap and just have it cleaned. His agent was on site as he lives in another Town and this is another lake home. So against my instincts we cleaned it and then couldnt get anyone on the phone to pay, no cell service. Added to this, we got stuck on the drive because it had been raining for two days and it was dirt. Ended up cost $30 to get a Guy working nearby with a back hoe to pull us out. Anyway, I lifted the price by about $150 because of the bad feeling I was getting. Eventually he sent me a cheque for about a $100 less, stating thats what he was quoted by the guy that couldnt make it out! So I ended up making ab $20 on the deal. But I wont do it again, well until the next time.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Its funny, because a few weeks ago we were called out to urgently (today please) clean a basement that had flooded and dried out. So I thought ok then and we turned up. It was a sewer back up and the owner wanted to be really cheap and just have it cleaned. His agent was on site as he lives in another Town and this is another lake home. So against my instincts we cleaned it and then couldnt get anyone on the phone to pay, no cell service. Added to this, we got stuck on the drive because it had been raining for two days and it was dirt. Ended up cost $30 to get a Guy working nearby with a back hoe to pull us out. Anyway, I lifted the price by about $150 because of the bad feeling I was getting. Eventually he sent me a cheque for about a $100 less, stating thats what he was quoted by the guy that couldnt make it out! So I ended up making ab $20 on the deal. But I wont do it again, well until the next time.
This happened to me once on a install but I found out what was happening after about an hour. Guy called me desperate to get his house installed. The guy who was doing the job walked off. I thought why would someone walk off during a job. So I gave him a price of 6.00 a yrd. To install everything. He said that's great. So I got started. I had just finished the hall when he walked up and said "we have to talk about your price". I stopped and squared off with him and said come again.he said he looked it up and installers get between 3.00 and 6.00 a yrd. So I'm going to give you 3.00 a yrd. I said really. He told me the other guy was getting 80.00 a day to carpet this house. Now I know why he walked. So I said well then you better get him back. We got into it and he wasn't budging. So I said know problem. I began to Uninstall and roll up the hallway. He said what are you doing? I said that I was leaving and I was undoing my work. He stopped me and said ok ok. So I wrote up a contract and made him sign it something that I should have done from the begining. There was a hole lot of crap that went on with that job but it's way to much to list. But anyway from then on I get people to sign and initial on everything. There is always the other guy story. I say what does he have to do with me? His price was lower but who showed up when you needed him most?

Sent from my SM-G900T using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: Bexiesbruv

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
I got a call to "freshen up" a living room and half set of stairs in a marina, lake front holiday/weekend home. Home is in the 1.2/1.5 million range I would guess. I quoted her about $150 to freshen it up.
Alarm bell number 1.
Can I 'Just" flick over a cushion, it had a small spill on it for the same price?
Sure.
She called today and gave me the garage door code as she will not be there.
Alarm bell number 2
Just leave me a bill and I will send you a cheque sometime next week.
Sorry, we dont do that but I can call you for a credit card number.
Alarm bell number 3
Well, how do I know you will do a good enough job.
You already told me it just needs a freshen up and thats what I quoted you, how can I not do a good job? More to the point, how do i know you will pay me?
Alarm bell number 4
I want all the furniture moved and the cushion done both sides, and make sure you get all the dog pee out of the carpet.
Well, thats not what we discussed, whats the issue with the cushion.
Dog peed on it too, both sides. But I wont be paying you any more, I am on a tight budget with two homes to look after.
OK, I think you need to reschedule for when you can actually be there, so shall I just cancel for now?
Thats what we did, and I am more than OK with it. Even when new to this business I would have done the same thing. Its just not worth the grief.
I don't like anything about this discourse. I wouldn't rescedule with her. This is a bad prospect.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
On another one, and several years ago, I sat in a local restaurant for three days and several hours each day waiting for the owner to turn up and pay me the $720 I billed him for cleaning the restaurant carpets. Every hour or so I would get up and loudly ask the server if he had turned up yet to pay me. After about 3 hours on the third day he arrived, took me in the back got about 15k (it was a massive roll of 100's) out of his pocket and paid me off. Two weeks later he was out of business and disappeared. A friend told me the rumor was he was running from the Greek mafia (didnt know there was such a thing) who had financed him, and how lucky I was to get my money.
And of course there are a few that are still on the books as bad debts because they haven't paid.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I don't like anything about this discourse. I wouldn't rescedule with her. This is a bad prospect.
Yeah I agree and no, I wont reschedule her if she calls, which I dont think she will. She likely realises she has been found out and will go con someone else.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
On another one, and several years ago, I sat in a local restaurant for three days and several hours each day waiting for the owner to turn up and pay me the $720 I billed him for cleaning the restaurant carpets. Every hour or so I would get up and loudly ask the server if he had turned up yet to pay me. After about 3 hours on the third day he arrived, took me in the back got about 15k (it was a massive roll of 100's) out of his pocket and paid me off. Two weeks later he was out of business and disappeared. A friend told me the rumor was he was running from the Greek mafia (didnt know there was such a thing) who had financed him, and how lucky I was to get my money.
And of course there are a few that are still on the books as bad debts because they haven't paid.
I ain't trying to fuk with you! Guy gets run out of town by the mob but you still manage to lean on him to get what's coming to you. Yer a bloody thug! ;)

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
What does 'freshen up' even mean? It's so vague and outside my process. Trying to understand what the customer wants when they say these words is next to impossible. Since they don't know the cleaning process, per se..... But they may have an idea based on seeing your demo, videos or marketing materials.

So the idea of 'freshen up' makes a mockery of your process in a sense, they want you to lower your price but keep the same quality cleaning.

Or if you agree to remove some cleaning steps to lower the price, it could come back to bite you since the result may not be what the customer is expecting.

It's a no win situation for both parties to 'freshen up'. I would clarify to the letter in a signed off work order before starting so both parties can reach their expectations.

Surprises, aka urine, red stains, odor, burn marks, bleach marks, etc. should stop the current work and a new work order should be agreed to. Surprises are just rude, border line lying. 'oh I did not know that was there'.
yeah right.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
I ain't trying to fuk with you! Guy gets run out of town by the mob but you still manage to lean on him to get what's coming to you. Yer a bloody thug! ;)
If you saw me, you would realise just how funny that is! Just trying to feed my family.
This one is a classic:
We owned a Dollar Store. I caught a shoplifter. Followed her outside and she was getting in the passenger seat of a car. Her friend started to back out of the spot and I opened the door and she stopped. Asked her to get out because I suspected she had taken stuff without paying. She refused told me to f off and tried to shut the door. I rammed my leg under the front wheel and told her friend if she moves, she will likely break my leg and then shes in real trouble. The thief got out. I called the cops. They turn up and tell me she can press charges ON ME for harassment. No matter she has over $150 of Dollar store crap in her bag! Anyway, the cops got her to pay me in return for me not pressing charges (which they told me I couldn't actually do). So they conned her, I got paid and three months later I shut down the two stores we had.
I really could write a book but bare in mind this is over the course of the last 14 years.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
What does 'freshen up' even mean? It's so vague and outside my process. Trying to understand what the customer wants when they say these words is next to impossible. Since they don't know the cleaning process, per se..... But they may have an idea based on seeing your demo, videos or marketing materials.

So the idea of 'freshen up' makes a mockery of your process in a sense, they want you to lower your price but keep the same quality cleaning.

Or if you agree to remove some cleaning steps to lower the price, it could come back to bite you since the result may not be what the customer is expecting.

It's a no win situation for both parties to 'freshen up'. I would clarify to the letter in a signed off work order before starting so both parties can reach their expectations.

Surprises, aka urine, red stains, odor, burn marks, bleach marks, etc. should stop the current work and a new work order should be agreed to. Surprises are just rude, border line lying. 'oh I did not know that was there'.
yeah right.
Agreed. There are certain phrases that new clients use from time to time that really combat my senses. "Freshen up", "just the traffic areas", "just into the room a little"...etc.