No wonder new carpet is wearing out so fast...

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I did a repair today in a house with fairly new carpet. The carpet was less than 2 years old. I cut out the piece where I needed to patch and thought to myself “wow, this carpet is really worn down”. Then I cut the donor piece out of the closet, carpet that has never been walked on and it was just as thin. Here’s a picture of the donor piece. From bottom to top it’s only 1/4 inch with the pile making up between 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. For as thin as the carpet is I was surprised how well the repair came out.

ABAEB784-AD70-47F1-A322-99B4C72E6DE5.jpeg

0234C2DD-6819-4A1E-996C-A2D42998BFAD.jpeg

37D297F3-1A78-43BF-8448-F150ED36A8D5.jpeg

0D39983B-7C60-4806-B575-C5634AB00036.jpeg

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Not thickness buddy. Density. Thickness can give illusion of nice carpet freshly installed. But crushes potato chip flat in a year. Density is amount of fibers or tufts and face weight.

Instead spread fibers. I've seen carpets gap as much as a quarter. Not as in quarter inch. But you could literally place a quarter in the center and not cover a fiber. We dubbed it "fuzzy linoleum" Stuff is garbage. It's good for a flip or to freshen up for a sale where there's not much to be made on the house.

Reactions: sbsscn

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
I have a long time client, a landlord. Talk about cheap carpet, When I need to do a patch, of couse I get a donor piece from a closet. Brand new, it falling apart and powdery, loosing face fiber.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I have a long time client, a landlord. Talk about cheap carpet, When I need to do a patch, of couse I get a donor piece from a closet. Brand new, it falling apart and powdery, loosing face fiber.
Welcome to my world. It comes off the roll that way from day 1. Cheap ass mills latex sucks.

Reactions: Rick J

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I did a repair today in a house with fairly new carpet. The carpet was less than 2 years old. I cut out the piece where I needed to patch and thought to myself “wow, this carpet is really worn down”. Then I cut the donor piece out of the closet, carpet that has never been walked on and it was just as thin. Here’s a picture of the donor piece. From bottom to top it’s only 1/4 inch with the pile making up between 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. For as thin as the carpet is I was surprised how well the repair came out.

View attachment 90854

View attachment 90855

View attachment 90852

View attachment 90853
Todd they bought cheap builder grade carpet. We used to sell it 15 bucks a square yard installed w/ 5/16 rebond pad. Builders will throw it in bedrooms upstairs to off set the cost of doing hardwood downstairs in $500,00+ homes. Looks nice new to smitten prospective homeowners then flattens out while that builders been paid and long gone. Then you have the rental owners and folks with no money rounding out the ones buying it.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States

View attachment 90854

View attachment 90855

View attachment 90852

View attachment 90853
I support your statement 100 % , I've cleaned similar quality of carpet one month after installation . It was matted down, it looked 10 years old...
I teared up carpet after I moved in my summer house recently. Allegedly carpet was only 8 years old and yes, it looked pretty good in reality, good light reflection with nice wear and tear. It wasn't the best grade but there is no comparison with your case. My point is that even 10 years ago manufacturers were making better quality than nowadays....

20200417_183604.jpg
20200417_183721.jpg

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I dont think the manufacturing has changed so much, But I do Believe quality/quality control has played a huge role (profit). engineers are doing tons of calculations getting closer and closer to borderline of tolerances and what visually looks good at show room.
using lower quality materials to substitute performance. ive noticed that some backing are stiffer to make the carpet appear acceptable, but the fillers used breakdown quick, ever noticed that fine sand or powder?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I dont think the manufacturing has changed so much, But I do Believe quality/quality control has played a huge role (profit). engineers are doing tons of calculations getting closer and closer to borderline of tolerances and what visually looks good at show room.
using lower quality materials to substitute performance. ive noticed that some backing are stiffer to make the carpet appear acceptable, but the fillers used breakdown quick, ever noticed that fine sand or powder?
It's all the above. But yes quality control is absolute sht. Manufacturing too has followed suit into said sht. So it's all relative now. The mills bar is set very low. Latex on the face fibers, broken primary, delaminated secondary. The whole process start to finish sucks.

Reactions: sbsscn

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
This is what we recieve. I dont remember but I probably chopped it for seams or melted tape over the cracks. Either way even as heavy as it was. It still wont hold up. The rest of it will eventually fail.
Screenshot_20200419-123039_OneDrive.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Rick J and sbsscn