thumper@twow.com

Sep 19, 2010
Yorba Linda
www.mjmcarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
mike mitts
Business Location
United States
2nd job today. 5 rms and stairs and hall. Phone quote was $320.00. Ok I get there the husband shows me around and 3 of the rooms are urine farms. Ok an extra $90.00 for pp and odor treat. "Oh the last guy just 6 months ago only charged me 80.00 for the same thing and im pulling out the carpet next month." I just got so pissed I told him I will save you lots of money and not do it at all. Or you can call mr. 80.00 back and have him do it. So I walked it. He calls 5 min. Later..come back...I trust you to do a giid job. "DRINK MY DUMP-TANK. I dont trust a lier like you as a customer." It took over 40 years to do that and im glad I did. Just had to vent....have a nice day everyone.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
2nd job today. 5 rms and stairs and hall. Phone quote was $320.00. Ok I get there the husband shows me around and 3 of the rooms are urine farms. Ok an extra $90.00 for pp and odor treat. "Oh the last guy just 6 months ago only charged me 80.00 for the same thing and im pulling out the carpet next month." I just got so pissed I told him I will save you lots of money and not do it at all. Or you can call mr. 80.00 back and have him do it. So I walked it. He calls 5 min. Later..come back...I trust you to do a giid job. "DRINK MY DUMP-TANK. I dont trust a lier like you as a customer." It took over 40 years to do that and im glad I did. Just had to vent....have a nice day everyone.
I had a similar situation a few months back, but I was giving them an in-home estimate and this person was being referred to me by a long time client. They wanted a considerable amount of cleaning including a huge wool area rug. My estimate came close to 500. for all of it and believe me, that was very reasonable. They told me the last guy had done the same job for 180. Honestly, the rugs alone were worth more than that. I stuck to my guns and they never did hire me, but I left the door open. All I can say about that other guy is that he clearly did some permanent damage to the family room carpet which was the main reason they were looking elsewhere. There is also a good reason why they didn't call that last guy back in your case as well. I'm certain of that.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
About 2 years ago I was setting up on a job with an agreed price and the customer added on rooms. I gave him the price and he said, the last guy didn't charge that much, picked up the phone and called a carpet cleaner in front of me. I packed up the van without saying a word, left the front door wide open and bailed... I gone.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Yeah, just remember in some people's eyes we are still peasants of the free world.

I did a job for a Bosnian yesterday on his rental, carpet was trashed, 5 rooms for $240. Said he would only pay it because he cant find anyone else short notice.

I spent 3 hours pulling every stain except ONE damn gum spot. He had already paid and was gone but I got a call this morning saying he will never use anyone but me again.

So sometimes these pay off.

Vizip

Mar 11, 2016
Real Name
Rami Nader
Wow, I hope it didn't end that harsh. Aren't you worried about your online reviews when you respond to customers like this?

thumper@twow.com

Sep 19, 2010
Yorba Linda
Real Name
mike mitts
Business Location
United States
I am very concerned with reviews. Some times though you have to go POPEYE on a prick. (I can stands no more). If the dweeb does give me a bad review I would definitely certify couple of letters from an attorney and take mr. 80.00 to court. (It pay to pay a yearly fee to online attorney. They send scarey letters.) Ive never had to do anything like that yet but theres allways a first I guess. I new when I called him on his b.s. I could have handled it better but he was over the top. When he called me 5 min. Later im glad still I told him I dont trust him as a customer and didn't go back to di the job.

thumper@twow.com

Sep 19, 2010
Yorba Linda
Real Name
mike mitts
Business Location
United States
I think a small % of people think we are "slag crap". Hell I'm not ashamed of who and what I am. I'm a cleaner and I'm damm proud of it. People trust me everyday with with 10s of thousands of dollars worth of carpet upholstery drapes rugs etc.they have worked their ass off to pay for.
I do not take there trust lightly and they know it. I can and WOULD definitely bet big money that the same applies for every soul on Rob's forum..just being here proves you care.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
About a month ago I went to a house that was over 7 million, they had hallway and a stairs and a huge wool area rug that is about 400 sqft. Over the phone I told them the minimum of 140 for the hallway and the staircase and another 35 for the area rug which I was told a normal size. So when I got there the hallway was huge and so as the area rug, I did not say anything and started to work, eventually I usually tell them at the end of work that I will charge you 175 this time as a first time customer but on my next visit this would be 325 not 175. But any way, in the middle of the job the guy comes and says that he has 8 dining chairs, I look at them and tell him that it would be 20 each, he finds this expensive and shows me a quote from another company that they priced him 15 each, when he gave me the quote sheet I was boiling inside not to burst out, I looked at the quote carefully and noticed that the other company quoted him 450 for the hallway, the area rug and the staircase, I told him well sir see they priced you lower on the dining chairs but the hallway, stairs and the area rug 450..... so over 5 bucks per chair I didn't cleaned his dining chairs and he lost me as a cleaner and I put a block on his phone. Don't want to be in his house and don't need shit customers like that.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
About a month ago I went to a house that was over 7 million, they had hallway and a stairs and a huge wool area rug that is about 400 sqft. Over the phone I told them the minimum of 140 for the hallway and the staircase and another 35 for the area rug which I was told a normal size. So when I got there the hallway was huge and so as the area rug, I did not say anything and started to work, eventually I usually tell them at the end of work that I will charge you 175 this time as a first time customer but on my next visit this would be 325 not 175. But any way, in the middle of the job the guy comes and says that he has 8 dining chairs, I look at them and tell him that it would be 20 each, he finds this expensive and shows me a quote from another company that they priced him 15 each, when he gave me the quote sheet I was boiling inside not to burst out, I looked at the quote carefully and noticed that the other company quoted him 450 for the hallway, the area rug and the staircase, I told him well sir see they priced you lower on the dining chairs but the hallway, stairs and the area rug 450..... so over 5 bucks per chair I didn't cleaned his dining chairs and he lost me as a cleaner and I put a block on his phone. Don't want to be in his house and don't need shit customers like that.
Very generous of you to start working on that.

Would like to think I would have shared my surprise with how big the area and rug is and then charge accordingly.

My problem seems to be not knowing how long a job will take and also needing to become more efficient to make more money in shorter amount of time.

I think sometimes there is perceived value in high prices.

Reactions: Fedri

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Very generous of you to start working on that.

Would like to think I would have shared my surprise with how big the area and rug is and then charge accordingly.

My problem seems to be not knowing how long a job will take and also needing to become more efficient to make more money in shorter amount of time.

I think sometimes there is perceived value in high prices.
It's a rare situation but I always do that and tell them at the end on my next visit it would be this amount. And this is only for the new customers. I was trying to get this customer as a regular customer with a 7 million dollar home but he ended up being a cheap ass.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Just out of curiosity, why didn't the price change on the initial walk through?

Also anytime a customer shows me a receipt from another customer I ALWAYS use this line, "My competitor knows best what their services are worth"

Usually gets the point across quickly. This isn't McDonalds, we aren't all the same. My $80,000 van, mount and equipment set up damn well better be higher priced than a guy doing it out of the back of his rusty ass SUV or encapping only with a CRB

• Love
Reactions: smartcarpetcare

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Fedri, I always make sure to state "For a standard sized hallway/bedroom with normal soil levels the cost is...." phone quotes are rough quotes, and although we try to keep within it the reality is we can't properly judge a job over the phone every time.

Then if I come across a massive room or really nasty carpet I inform them that it's above "standard" and usually tack on a 10$ fee. It's not much, but if I charge 45$ per bedroom and come across a living room sized master(I charge 60 for a living room) I don't feel bad doing it for 55. It's still a deal for them. Let's face it, lots of people only clean the carpets every few years, even if you do a splendid job they might not remember you simply because its been two+ years.

A roofer for example would not give you a deal if once they got on the roof he found out you need wood sheeted under the shingles because it was rotten. He will explain to you why the quotes no longer accurate and bill accordingly. Even if he thought he might get more work from you from later. Professionals charge what they are worth imo.

Reactions: Fedri and J20770

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Fedri, I always make sure to state "For a standard sized hallway/bedroom with normal soil levels the cost is...." phone quotes are rough quotes, and although we try to keep within it the reality is we can't properly judge a job over the phone every time.

Then if I come across a massive room or really nasty carpet I inform them that it's above "standard" and usually tack on a 10$ fee. It's not much, but if I charge 45$ per bedroom and come across a living room sized master(I charge 60 for a living room) I don't feel bad doing it for 55. It's still a deal for them. Let's face it, lots of people only clean the carpets every few years, even if you do a splendid job they might not remember you simply because its been two+ years.

A roofer for example would not give you a deal if once they got on the roof he found out you need wood sheeted under the shingles because it was rotten. He will explain to you why the quotes no longer accurate and bill accordingly. Even if he thought he might get more work from you from later. Professionals charge what they are worth imo.
agreed, I need to be little more tough on these suckers, after all I am feeding a family.