No more color sealing for me!

fboet

Aug 24, 2006
Miami, Fl.
Real Name
Frank Boet
Business Location
United States
I've had two clients call me within a year that the grout color sealing has not held up. One I returned $1,500 because the color sealing was wearing out in a few areas and looked horrible. The other one was a reclean becasue it got soiled within a year and I had to retouch some color loss. I have done about 20 color sealing jobs with just 2 complaints. It appears to me these two clients used harsh cleaners on the floor. Because of the uneven floors and high grout lines, color sealing can wear out on those high areas, plus I don't have the confidence that the client will properly take care of their floors. So I'm done!

Reactions: Jose Holguin

fboet

Aug 24, 2006
Miami, Fl.
Real Name
Frank Boet
Business Location
United States
There are no warranties by manufacturers. The warranty, if you choose to imply one is from you, the cleaner. I have a client who we color sealed the grout two years ago and their floor look brand new. However, the problem is with clients or their "cleaning ladies", that don't properly clean the floors. I can not take that chance anymore. Grout sealing is a tedious, back breaking job and I would hate to have to refund the money 9 months later.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
There are no warranties by manufacturers. The warranty, if you choose to imply one is from you, the cleaner. I have a client who we color sealed the grout two years ago and their floor look brand new. However, the problem is with clients or their "cleaning ladies", that don't properly clean the floors. I can not take that chance anymore. Grout sealing is a tedious, back breaking job and I would hate to have to refund the money 9 months later.
So moving forward...how do you clean it off if the customer is done with it? Do you have to strip it?

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
Is color sealing more profitable than carpet cleaning for you?

Those 2 clients that wore off, how did you "prep" the grout channels to receive the seal?

Do you recall, Was the grout sanded, unsanded or epoxy?

Which brand of color seal did you use?

Did you leave your client with a $2.99 gallon of ZEP neutral cleaner?

Do you offer a 6/12 Month "Service Agreement" at 33% of the initial job cost?

Reactions: Gasoline

Jpais

Feb 5, 2012
Texas
Real Name
Joseph Pais
Business Location
United States
What product are you using?

Always always always make them sign off on what is expected of them to maintain the floor and all kinds of jargon so they can't complain when they didn't follow the directions you left... Also I highly recommend selling a warranty if you believe in the product

Blacktiedetailing

www.crsurfacecare.com
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2011
Las Vegas
WWW.CRSurfaceCare.com
Real Name
Jeff Kondra
Business Location
United States
I've had two clients call me within a year that the grout color sealing has not held up. One I returned $1,500 because the color sealing was wearing out in a few areas and looked horrible. The other one was a reclean becasue it got soiled within a year and I had to retouch some color loss. I have done about 20 color sealing jobs with just 2 complaints. It appears to me these two clients used harsh cleaners on the floor. Because of the uneven floors and high grout lines, color sealing can wear out on those high areas, plus I don't have the confidence that the client will properly take care of their floors. So I'm done!
I do them but dont push it. If done right, they will last for 5+ years. Did you follow all the steps?

Clean first with grout cleaner?

2nd, Acid wash the grout lines?

This is a must for the color seal to adhere to the grout. As I type this, I am standing on my kitchen floor which I color sealed 8 years ago, have cleaned it many many times and still looks new...

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
Without formalized training why would one expect there to not be hack jobs out there?

The 3 biggest factors that determine color seal durability are

1. Preparation
2. Using a quality product
3. Proper maintenance that YOU must ensure via service agreement

Last edited:

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Without formalized training why would one expect there to not be hack jobs out there?

The 2 biggest factors that determine color seal durability are

1. Preparation
2. Using a quality product
3. Proper maintenance that YOU must ensure via service agreement
Well in that Case...Strike Three..I'm OUT!

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
Wasnt kipp the colorseal god ?
Maybe he could shed some light on how long they last or expected to last

He wasn't in business long enough to see for himself, either time..., but did say that his brother has been doing them for 10 years and his customers haven't had any problems.