No fuel. (I think) | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

No fuel. (I think)

Discussion in 'Ask Our Repairmen' started by carpetcarebend, May 17, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. carpetcarebend

Sep 19, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I need a little help. My machine stopped in the middle of a job. It will idle and sounds normal but when I throttle up or put a load on it it dies. I figured fuel filter under van. Replaced and same thing. Replaced the fuel pump with one rated the same and now nothing. There is a clear filter at the unit that is usually full of fuel when things are good and its not filing up. Could there be a blockage down in the fuel tap?

2. smart n kleen

Premium VIP

Mar 12, 2010
    oregon
    Ratings:
    +4,849 / 37 / -0
    Check the air cleaner

• Like Like x 1
  3. ColoradoCleaner

ColoradoCleaner Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Male
    Denver, CO
    Ratings:
    +3,131 / 40 / -0
    Check for fuel flow at the carburetor. Pull the hose off and turn the machine on - be sure fuel pump comes on. Fuel should flow out. It's possible also the carburetor got clogged up somehow, but unlikely if you have a fuel filter.

If you have good fuel flow definitely check air filter, or try to run engine without the filter to confirm that's not the problem.

• Like Like x 2
  4. PistolPete

PistolPete Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +440 / 0 / -0
    Do the above tests for fuel flow to check that the new pump is working. (I assume its a pump under the van?)
    Is there another fuel pump on the engine? My Kohler was doing the same thing before I added the under van pump.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PhilipW

PhilipW Active Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Male
    Owner/Operator
    South Carolina
    Ratings:
    +245 / 0 / -0
    If your inline filter is not filling (should be at least maybe half full) there is no need to check carburetor or anything else at the motor, the problem is fuel delivery. Check the fuel pump on the machine, and if it is not pumping then that's the problem. If it's not getting fuel, there is a blockage somewhere, maybe a screen on the fuel tap line or a kink somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Serving the greater Charlotte area
    Ratings:
    +844 / 2 / -0
    You might want to check into this:
    You may have a pinhole air leak somewhere in your fuel line. If you put a check valve just above the tap on the gas tank you're older weaker fuel pump won't have to try to pull fuel through that whole line every time you try to run it. This happened with our older Kohler motor and the check valve fixed it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Top Poster of Month

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,386 / 86 / -0
    Great advice above. Please let us know what you find.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Ara Klujian

Ara Klujian Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
    Moderator Premium VIP

Jun 19, 2008
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    Ratings:
    +726 / 3 / -0
    All you need is one fuel filter. The filter should placed after the fuel pump if its an electric pump. When a filter is placed before the pump it can overwork the pump and cause it to starve. Try running with one filter and see what happens.

9. JDARNOLD

JDARNOLD Active Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Male
    Service Manager ACE Services
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Check the spark plugs, I'll bet you they are black. If so change them. Then just start the unit without the air filter, if it starts and runs correctly then replace the air filter also

10. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator Top Poster of Month

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +27,386 / 86 / -0
    Heed this advice asap!

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...