Nicotine? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. mikevee

mikevee Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    In a heavy smokere housem moved a couch and revealed this. Is it nicotine or? I cannot tell what it is. How can I remove it. It is much more yellow in person.

20170420_140742.jpg

Its

2. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,714 / 0 / -0
    It's sure looking like heavy filtration soiling from air flowing under the couch, and the yellowing is likely the oil from the cigarette smoke. From the rest of the room's color, though, it almost looks like there has been a bleaching effect too. I'm almost afraid you can remove the yellow, but what's left behind could still be significantly different in color from the rest of the room.

@Scott W ...? @SAA ...?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Spazznout

Premium VIP

Feb 13, 2011
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +5,890 / 101 / -0
    agree, not sure I would invest to much more time or effort in this one. It may be time to advise replacement when it becomes possible.

4. mikevee

mikevee Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Got the yellowing out. There was some bleaching. Was soooo nasty seeing the water come through the sight tube..

Thanks!

20170420_145632.jpg

5. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,446 / 11 / -1
    The black along the baseboard is defintiely filtration soiling.

If i understand the photo, the yellow area was under the couch. I am trying to think why nicotine would do that under the couch but not in the open areas. Knowing if the couch was raised above the carpet or if it had a skirt that went right down to the carpet level would aid in understanding how the air flowed.

My impression is that some contaminant, maybe a gas, was trapped under the sofa. There are some types of flooring (particle baord and OSB made using adhesives from foreign sources) that can off-gas. Also rarely but sometimes the cushion under the carpet can off-gas. (This used to be pretty common in the 1980s and early 1990s but cushion maufacturers made changes).

It does not take a lot of yellowing to look bad on a white carpet. It might never be seen on some colors of carpet.

Test a small area. Use a solution of Fab-Set, anywhere from 8 to 32 ounces per gallon of water. Spray it on, brush it in and wait 15 to 20 minutes. If the yellow is due to off-gassing, this often corrects the problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mikevee

mikevee Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Scott. I never did figure out what it was. But I presprayed with Bio boosted with peroxide. Then brushed a good amount of time. And Rinsed very slowly with dry slurry.
    Will try the fabset next time as I do cary it on the truck. Under the cushions had terrible nicotine staining, what lead me to think that was it. I then was thinking that is could have been wood related from the subfloor adhesive!!!

Whatever it was, its mostly gone. Lol

PS. Your bonnets will ship first thing tomorrow. Its my first day off in weeks.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,563 / 11 / -0
    rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, degreaser, citrus or delimoline to boost if you have any,,,

easy peasy

• Like Like x 1
  8. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,563 / 11 / -0
    sometimes the ac air flow just makes it way under the sofas and chairs and the heavy nicotine air goes with it and drops its load under the furniture.. Back when we were young everyone smoked. so we did more nicotine jobs back then than we do now days...

Mikevee just pm me bro, Ill hook a brotha up!

9. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,563 / 11 / -0
    when I see these , I think to myself Happy Birthday,, I would charge 200 bucks to clean that area on top of the regular carpet cleaning charges,,,,,

10. mikevee

mikevee Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately it was a week paying job. I did these promo ads when I first started so she got a hell of a deal... I didnt put and expiration on the coupons haha. Lessons learned as a rookie.
    But job took me 1 hour and made $200 so wasnt to sad.

11. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,563 / 11 / -0
    I have people who keep my flyers for a decade and of course I honor them too,,, if they kept it that long,, I can honor that !

• Like Like x 1