Next Rug Cleaning

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
I picked up this 11x14 rug which has slightly visible urine stains along one long edge and about a foot in from the edge. It has no labels to identify its construction material. My rug cleaning experience is minimal and so is my fiber burn ID'ing of material, but it melts to a brownish-gray bead (blue base/oranged tip flame) and does float so it's suggesting olefin. The rug edge sputters when burning and has an acrid smell so I'm figuring acrylic.

This is not as quick of a question as I had hoped to pose, but would I have reason for concern of any other natural fibers being present that could create a problem with shrinkage? I did a number of burn tests and did sense a burned hair smell in the rug edge but never saw any ash. I might be overly cautious which could be properly classified as paranoia. I'm still trying to build my business and one bad review might sink me, or at least torpedo. I figured I'd be using minimal moisture on most of the rug but will have to work the urine-stained areas more and will be more wet. I don't know if that's a Bozo No-no or not- uneven wetting effecting rug shape. I plan on drying it as quickly as possible w/fans and dehumidifier.

I still have a lot to learn, obviously, but greatly appreciate the advice I've received here thus far. Thanks in advance for any input.

IMG_4263.JPG

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
I didn't use a flash on the label pic so as to not wash it out; also proper orientation got tweaked on attaching. As always, many thanks in advance!
IMG_4267[1].JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I didn't use a flash on the label pic so as to not wash it out; also proper orientation got tweaked on attaching. As always, many thanks in advance! View attachment 77952

View attachment 77954
Pictures of the back help the guys with what advice to give you on attacking it. Good on you for testing the fibers first before asking. That will help the rug guys in what advise to give you also. I have little experience in rug cleaning. Ill let those that do it on a regular basis advise you from here. Good luck :)

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
Pictures of the back help the guys with what advice to give you on attacking it. Good on you for testing the fibers first before asking. That will help the rug guys in what advise to give you also. I have little experience in rug cleaning. Ill let those that do it on a regular basis advise you from here. Good luck :)
Thank you, keep it clean. I'm not convinced I should even be doing rugs at this stage with limited knowledge and equipment, but it's hard to say "no". Might be a situation where the hard thing is the right thing, but I seem to be dealing with synthetics so I find some comfort in that.

Thanks again for your advice.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I'm not much help but the tag you took a picture of is just a tag from a moving company, not from the rug manufacturer. Thanks for posting and helping others learn too.

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
I'm not much help but the tag you took a picture of is just a tag from a moving company, not from the rug manufacturer. Thanks for posting and helping others learn too.
Too funny- Allied Movers. The tag is even more worthless than I thought!

Thanks Smtwn!

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
Quick follow-up to all of this. Would Pet Zone be a good option for the urine present in such a rug?

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
Quick follow-up to all of this. Would Pet Zone be a good option for the urine present in such a rug?
I would find a GOOD local rug plant, they always cut Deal for carpet cleaners. I use to strain with cleaning my own rugs, but now I make a good profit for pick up and delivery! They charge me $1.25-$1.50 per square foot and guarantee urine removal! They also do a ton of repairs, new fringes, new backing etc etc.... I am happy to charge $4.00 per square foot! Even the local Stanley Steemer bring ALL of there rugs to this plant! Last time I was there Steemer just dropped off 15-20 rugs! Not small ones either!

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
I would find a GOOD local rug plant, they always cut Deal for carpet cleaners. I use to strain with cleaning my own rugs, but now I make a good profit for pick up and delivery! They charge me $1.25-$1.50 per square foot and guarantee urine removal! They also do a ton of repairs, new fringes, new backing etc etc.... I am happy to charge $4.00 per square foot! Even the local Stanley Steemer bring ALL of there rugs to this plant! Last time I was there Steemer just dropped off 15-20 rugs! Not small ones either!

That sounds like great advice, Dafloorman. I can relate to the straining part; presently my two car garage has been tied up for the weekend, covered by a tarp and rug with fans running, and with my lack of experience figure my results will be subpar. I dread every rug job.

I appreciate your input!

Jul 22, 2006
Florida
I have been looking for a good rug plant that I could take rugs to. Just curious where your is.
I am in Port Saint Lucie. Thanks

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
I have been looking for a good rug plant that I could take rugs to. Just curious where your is.
I am in Port Saint Lucie. Thanks
Hey Scuba! I love your area! Unfortunately the plant is in Oakland Park, it still may be worth your while.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
That sounds like great advice, Dafloorman. I can relate to the straining part; presently my two car garage has been tied up for the weekend, covered by a tarp and rug with fans running, and with my lack of experience figure my results will be subpar. I dread every rug job.

I appreciate your input!
Yes sir, we basic rug cleaners do not have the means or space for the equipment these plants have. One machine they recently purchased was a little under 100k!

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
North Carolina
www.shopcleansource.com
Real Name
Amy Barnes
Business Location
United States
The first time you run into one of the increasingly-popular viscose/Model/Tensel rugs, especially the viscose-wool blends, you will think twice about how "easy" it is to clean rugs...

:inpain:

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Your burn test does seem to indicate olefin and acrylic. Good Job.

When the edge binding is made of a different material than the face fibers, the two materials may react differently to moisture and heat. The result is usually edges that curl up. Two ways to handle this. Option #1 is to clean with low moisture such as Encapuclean O2 or Brush Pro dry powder. Keep moisture away from the acrylic edges. Option #2 is to pull the rug taut and use weights to hold all the edges in place during cleaning and drying.

There can be cotton in the foundation, but it does not look like that to me from the photos.

A friend who I consider one of the top rug people in the world (Lynn Tall) recently moved from Port St Lucie to Boston. She worked at a rug washing plant in Fort Pierce. They can probably work a deal with you.

We had great results in our recent rug washing class in Austin Texas. Joe Roberts and Mike Reed of Austonian Rug Washing both helped Doug Heiferman and I teach this class. Our next one is in San Diego Nov 7th - 9th.