Newbie WD ?'s | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Newbie WD ?'s

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
You show up to flood, water has already been stopped.

Have them sign something saying we can bill their insurance ?
Does anyone have an example of what to have them sign? or just keep it basic?

At that point they probably dont know who there home insurance is through I am guessing.

What has hurt me is I always try and sub these out, the flood guy gets there and he asks them:
Who is your home insurence through,
Person of the house says I dont know, let me call my insurance guy..
Next thing we know the insurance guy tells them to kick us out and use his guy instead.
I hear the them say " we can actually do that, he is just telling you that because he gets a kick back for everytime his clients use his flood guy "

Only had a couple go through, how do you guys get around this, do you have them sign, then just get to work, then after a couple days ask for there insurence info?

Then I call the insurance company and send them the xactimate bill?

Does the claim increase there monthly home insurance?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States

At that point they probably dont know who there home insurance is through I am guessing.

What has hurt me is I always try and sub these out, the flood guy gets there and he asks them:
Next thing we know the insurance guy tells them to kick us out and use his guy instead.
I hear the them say " we can actually do that, he is just telling you that because he gets a kick back for everytime his clients use his flood guy "

Only had a couple go through, how do you guys get around this, do you have them sign, then just get to work, then after a couple days ask for there insurence info?

I accept the call after hours on residential after I confirm that we require $200 cash nonrefundable upon arrival.

Why? Because I don't give quotes or play the kickback adjuster game at 2 am. If they don't like the terms I roll over and sleep like a baby (which makes no sense if you have ever had a baby).

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States

To answer all of your questions completely would require a multi day course as well as a lot of time in the field with practical stuff.

You are gonna be stuck in the position you are until you do go and learn to take on a flood from start to finish. Good chance its NOT the insurance co or agent getting the kickback. Most likely the very guys you called in to help you, are the ones that are getting a kickback and use the agent as an excuse. The law states homeowners get to use who they want and kickbacks to Ins. Agents are illegal in most if not all states.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
What Spazznot said is true, its illegal for them to kick you out. I operate mostly as a first responder, sucking up water until the insurance company gets their restoration team there to do the drying and demolition work.

That works for me as I charge them $150 an hour for the extraction and they pay cash upfront for the first hour.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Preferred vendor programs cannot, as I understand it, MAKE a customer use the service provider suggested by the insurance company. Like a health insurance plan, rates may be lower if you use 'their guy', but legally the homeowner can choose whomever they want to do the work.

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
Preferred vendor programs cannot, as I understand it, MAKE a customer use the service provider suggested by the insurance company. Like a health insurance plan, rates may be lower if you use 'their guy', but legally the homeowner can choose whomever they want to do the work.
This IS correct, and well explained. Just like your car insurance has "recommended" body shops, that will half ass your body work and charge the insurance half compared to the guys who do it right and charge double.
Insurance is insurance.

And just because its illegal for kick backs etc doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I am just trying to hear what y'all do to get past this?
Show up make them like you, then say ok sign here we will get started.
They say
"oh well we should call our insurance company"
and you say,
na dont worry about that we will deal with all of that, sign here?

I know I will just prep them and say, "when you call your insurence they are going to try and get you to use there guy, but just like the car insurance industry you can choose who you want and you dont want them to use there guy as they send out guys who are going to most likely half ass it and charge them less."

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
This IS correct, and well explained. Just like your car insurance has "recommended" body shops, that will half ass your body work and charge the insurance half compared to the guys who do it right and charge double.
Insurance is insurance.

And just because its illegal for kick backs etc doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I am just trying to hear what y'all do to get past this?
Show up make them like you, then say ok sign here we will get started.
They say
"oh well we should call our insurance company"
and you say,
na dont worry about that we will deal with all of that, sign here?

I know I will just prep them and say, "when you call your insurence they are going to try and get you to use there guy, but just like the car insurance industry you can choose who you want and you dont want them to use there guy as they send out guys who are going to most likely half ass it and charge them less."
My most reputable water damage companies in this area do the following:

1. They make the customer aware that, at the end of the day, THEY are responsible for the bill. THEY are the company's customer. The company doesn't work for the insurance people, they work for the person who has experienced the loss.

2. They offer to handle the first part of the paperwork, including all documentation of work performed, but make the customer aware that if the insurance doesn't cover it, then the customer will be responsible for the remainder of the bill. This puts the relationship where it belongs - in the hands of the homeowner, not the insurance adjuster.

3. If the client later says "I like your work, but insurance has now told me to use so-n-so", then the company thanks them kindly, shakes their hand, and invoices them for the work already done. Since all of this was laid out beforehand, there is NO reasonable expectation that they're working for free.

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
ok how much do i have to pay to get that sign here sheet from one of you?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Dri eaz used to have forms in their webb site for free, work authorization and so on. Just have to fill in your company name and such

Reactions: OneBlueSummer

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
I have not done water and flood work since 2011 when I was still an employee. When I get calls from customers with floods I set them up with my flood guy and he pays me a kickback $250-$1000 per job depending on the size and scope of the loss.. Sorry I do not have the forms or I would help you out.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Send me a PM

You can run with a job regardless of what an adjuster says. Get a contract with the customer they’re your client.

Depending on licensing requirements and your experience you decide how much service you offer them