(newbie) Sticky carpet after using carpets cleaner

Poofybruno

Aug 22, 2021
Real Name
Peter Smith
Hi,

I will be searching as well but I just finished cleaning our second floor using a Bissell Turbo clean power brush. And I noticed the carpets feel sticky. The researched this in general and looks like this is residue left over from the cleaning mixture correct?
The water tank has a water line then a formula line so measurement is a no brained. Here is what I did, went over the carpet with the cleaning solution back and forth, then back over the same area using the suction. Once I did this I finished off the same area with just clean hot water (I now read I should be using cold water to rinse) to remove as much as the cleaning solution as possible. Now this last step I did on my own because their instructions don't say to do this.

Here are my questions.

- Will rinsing with cold water several times over be bad in that it will soak the carpet too much even though I suck up as much liquid as I can?

- Did I use too much formula even though they have fill marks?

- Regardless do I need to do a final rinse using vinegar and water if I want to eliminate the sticky feeling in the carpet afterwards?

Thanks in advance

• Haha
Reactions: gordon qian

gordon qian

Oct 31, 2019
Real Name
gordon qian
Business Location
Canada
This is why you should hire a professional or at least spend enough money for a powerful newer model one. Now to answer your question:
- imho never rinsing excessively with these carpet cleaners, especially if you let the solution+water sit on the carpet over 5 seconds without vacuum it (the water will seep through, especially if you press on the carpet). Another reason is the lack of vacuum on these machines, you'll be lucky enough to suck back 70% of the solution+water (professionals should be able to suck back 90-95% usually). You can calculate this by measure how much water and liquid detergent you used initially, and how much dirty water is sucked back.
- If you followed the every single instructions properly, then probably not. Keep in mind some manufacturers like to use foamy carpet detergents, which will hinder the machine's ability to suck up the dirty water (due to foam build up). Again as long as you recovered most of the water on the rinsing step even excessive formula is fine (residential formulas aren't aggressive and very forgiving on the carpet compare to professional formulas).
- We have no idea unless you provide more info and data about your procedures. Generally, it is better to rinse with hot tap water without vinegar if you are able to recover most of the water. If the carpet is wet, try sucking it with a dry/wet shop vac (with hose only, no tools attached).

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the reply.
So what do you recommend I do now to eliminate the stickiness in the carpet? Will vacuuming really well help get rid of it?
Hire a pro to come in and just acid rinse the carpets

Reactions: keep it clean

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Thanks, any DIY stuff I can tackle?
With covid I'm pretty paranoid letting people in the house since I'm in remission from my lung cancer treatment last year.
Mist with diluted vinegar. Then groom in. Buff with a bonnet.