Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
not only that wonder how man rows it’ll snatch out when doin berber lol
one of the ones I did was a berber and it moved it just fine, i stetched a whole room in about 7 minutes with it,,, i was like hell yeah ,,

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Hey....If you're happy with it and your customers are happy, that's all that matters. Like I said, I would have to use one to see for myself and to change my perceived belief.
It just looks like it's doing more harm than good.
I had the same issues, i coulndnt conceive of it working the way it does but as you move down the wall you are pulling about 2 inches to the wall and the wrinkles disappeared behind me... its kind of a mini power stretcher and when you move the carpet moves behind you.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
I use to throw these jobs to a buddy of mines, but since he hit the lottery last year for 1 million, he stopped doing this kind of work! The pain would be moving all of the furniture, correct?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I use to throw these jobs to a buddy of mines, but since he hit the lottery last year for 1 million, he stopped doing this kind of work! The pain would be moving all of the furniture, correct?
You can get away with putting all furniture on sliders and shuffling them around. Its easier in furnished rooms to use crab stretcher. No pole to maneuver around. The pain is planning the restretch in ways it wont pull off of doorways or if possible not need to break seams. In which said plan always changes as you get into it lol. Straight forward ones like this are cake work. This one i did empty was too small of a room to work around.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
You can get away with putting all furniture on sliders and shuffling them around. Its easier in furnished rooms to use crab stretcher. No pole to maneuver around. The pain is planning the restretch in ways it wont pull off of doorways or if possible not need to break seams. In which said plan always changes as you get into it lol. Straight forward ones like this are cake work. This one i did empty was too small of a room to work around.
Thats always been my tool of choice for the most part besides a power stretcher. I just always have to remember to bring screws to screw the tackless down since the newer homes have those crappy floors and the tackless pulls out.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Thats always been my tool of choice for the most part besides a power stretcher. I just always have to remember to bring screws to screw the tackless down since the newer homes have those crappy floors and the tackless pulls out.
Yeah osb decking is terrible for holding nails. I use ringshank nails just to eliminate bringing in screwgun (one less tool to carry in) Crab stretcher will definitely find a weakness and rip it out thats for sure.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
You have to get a lift buddy, and buy some premium sliders,, they make the biggest heaviest stuff move like butter across the carpet. But you can charge a lot if theres furniture ! id rather have furniture because it doubles the job.

Reactions: Dafloorman

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I use a nail bar to hammer in good concrete nails,, if its screwed up I charge for gluing down the tack strip and nailing it later.... wood floors I just use roofing nails,, but I always have the screwgun in the van to put in some security screws to make it strong.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro

It's just a matter of time before Toll Brothers starts using cardboard for their floors.:LOL:

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
We had an old stretcher that had no adjustment. We cut a piece commercial carpet to shape. And pressed it onto the pins. So it wouldnt dig as deep and grab the pad. Youll know when padding starts creeping up onto the tack strip on you. Hate when that happens.
I made one today, I also wrapped it in carpet until I can find a bag to stuff it in so it doesn't rust in the Houston weather

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
my old roberts master and poles prob weighs 150lbs lol still has old steel case. do you use knee pads on carpet?
Man,!! did not realize it was do heavy! I have this one as well and cringe when I need to bring it out. I don't do installs, just restrech, and in usually smaller p;laces.

6 poles, not like the 4 that come with the new ones.

Reactions: MikeGaure

Nick M.

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Nick M.
Get two 5’ titanium poles and the head and heel. The poles will make 20’ fully extended

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
so far it cant tell, eventually I will know that answer but so far on 2 stretches its worked fine , but I did question the non adjustable teeth
Have you/ or do you ever use a stretcher with the cotton head, instead of those teeth?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Man,!! did not realize it was do heavy! I have this one as well and cringe when I need to bring it out. I don't do installs, just restrech, and in usually smaller p;laces.

6 poles, not like the 4 that come with the new ones.
I use them all the time. But i only bring out the box if its a long haul like through courtyards and stuff. But just from driveway into house i carry it in pieces. Or figure out how many feet i need and just bing in a few poles. Lifting that case over and over is brutal.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Just the other day, I was in a vacant home. Part of it was getting new carpet. Installer was there when I arrived.
I asked him about a power stretcher, since I came across one so cheap. Thought he may know someone who may be interested in it.

He told me he never used them!!

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Just the other day, I was in a vacant home. Part of it was getting new carpet. Installer was there when I arrived.
I asked him about a power stretcher, since I came across one so cheap. Thought he may know someone who may be interested in it.

Job security buddy ;). Nothin but job security down the road. Make sure your customer knows if you do repairs if you do. Youll get the call.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States

are you kidding?