NEW TO THE INDUSTRY | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

NEW TO THE INDUSTRY

joshua noonan

Nov 9, 2014
Chanute, KS
Real Name
Joshua Noonan
Hello every one, I have been reading tmf for a couple of weeks now and find it to be very informative and also entertaining at times. In about two weeks I'll be purchasing my equipment and and starting a carpet cleaning business. This is something I plan on starting part time while I work, but hopefully will be going full time real soon. I have been in construction most of my life but have always wanted to own a company, so here it goes. I came across an opportunity to purchase a trailer mounted unit with a steamway mastermatic vx 4100, rx 20, and all the necessary attachments so I went on a couple jobs and decided to go for it. I'm purchasing from a guy that's been friends of the family since I was born and I'm getting his client list so I feel pretty good about it. We will be based in se ks so it's kind of rural but several towns around and cities not to far away. I do have a business degree and plan on my first certification class in feb. I have been doing non stop research about the industry but I know there's so much to learn so all input and advice will be greatly appreciated m
Thanks,
Josh

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
Two ways to learn. Take a ride along. Find someone on here that lives near enough to you that will let you go on a ride along for a day or more. Second way is to hire a half dozen companies to do the minimum at someones home. You will learn what to do but a bunch of what not to do.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Greetings Joshua. Welcome to TMF. Your business background will serve you will in this industry. Think of yourself as in the business of selling cleaning services.

When you purchase your first truckmount, let me know. I try to send out some free cleaning products to new-comers. I will find some items that suit your business and send them along to you.
scottw@bridgewatercorp.net

joshua noonan

Nov 9, 2014
Chanute, KS
Real Name
Joshua Noonan
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to be located in Chanute, KS which is south eastern part but a lot of my work will be Burlington, KS where i' purchasing the company from.

I have been on a few jobs with the guy i'm buying from and then I'll go on another this weekend before taking over all the equipment. I'm stressing a little about how to do the pricing. Currently the guy charges a flat rate fee by the sq./ft. depending on commercial or residential, regardless of carpet type and saturation. I checked with a couple of local companies and one told me it will be anywhere from .30 to .45 depending on the circumstances, and another said they will not give any kind of figure without first making a appointment and looking at the carpet to be cleaned. I understand you really won't know what your getting into without first seeing the carpet but it seems to me a flat rate with the exception of extreme cases would give the customer a ballpark estimate and maybe create less hassle for them. A friend of mine recently got a quote of $325 for a 13x13 room where one of their pets had urinated a couple of times. He declined the cleaning saying he could just put new carpet in for close to that cost. I don't want to undercharge, thats for sure so i'm kind of struggling on what to do here. Thanks guys for all the responses I'll have more questions to come.
Josh

joshua noonan

Nov 9, 2014
Chanute, KS
Real Name
Joshua Noonan
Greetings Joshua. Welcome to TMF. Your business background will serve you will in this industry. Think of yourself as in the business of selling cleaning services.

When you purchase your first truckmount, let me know. I try to send out some free cleaning products to new-comers. I will find some items that suit your business and send them along to you.
Thanks so much, I have been looking at your website quite a bit and look forward to getting up to Kansas City to see all the different products and equipment.

Reactions: Scott W

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
If the travel distances allow and the folks you will be servicing will be medium or high end homes, there is a big sales advantage to getting into the home for the estimate. This allows you to see what other services they may need. It also allows them to meet you face-to-face before they hire you. This can help overcome any trust issues about who they are inviting into their home.

Regarding the price of urine decontamination - even with new carpet, there is cost to remove old carpet and pad, clean the subfloor underneath, replace pad, purchase carpet, install carpet and so forth. New carpet is not as cheap as just the cost of the carpet.

There are also several ways to handle urine contamination depending upon the level of urine saturation, the client's budget and the client's level of tolerance. If they have pets still in the home, they will usually live with something less than 100% guaranteed odor removal. But if a home is for sale, it will need to be cleaned as far as the urine reach which is often below the carpet into the padding and subfloor.

Send an email for the latest edition of my training manual on how to deal with urine contamination - stores.csr@bridgewatercorp.net No charge to TMF members.

Maximum Carpet

May 22, 2014
www.maxcarpets.com
Real Name
Jeff Hasse
Business Location
United States
Take a few IICRC courses. You don't learn a lot about day to day operations, but you learn a ton about the cleaning process. I found it gave me a lot to talk to customers about in a more knowledgeable/professional way and that helps set you apart from the average cleaner.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez

Ima new comer.

mexiclean

Oct 26, 2014
Real Name
Little Bear
Josh
Study Pinks Carpet Cleaning in Riverside Ca.
His name is Troy Meecham and his business model and Marketing is top notch.

mexiclean

Oct 26, 2014
Real Name
Little Bear
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1416030249.660582.jpg

Don't copy the run of the mill Joe's Carpet Care models.

Be different.

joshua noonan

Nov 9, 2014
Chanute, KS
Real Name
Joshua Noonan
If the travel distances allow and the folks you will be servicing will be medium or high end homes, there is a big sales advantage to getting into the home for the estimate. This allows you to see what other services they may need. It also allows them to meet you face-to-face before they hire you. This can help overcome any trust issues about who they are inviting into their home.

Regarding the price of urine decontamination - even with new carpet, there is cost to remove old carpet and pad, clean the subfloor underneath, replace pad, purchase carpet, install carpet and so forth. New carpet is not as cheap as just the cost of the carpet.

There are also several ways to handle urine contamination depending upon the level of urine saturation, the client's budget and the client's level of tolerance. If they have pets still in the home, they will usually live with something less than 100% guaranteed odor removal. But if a home is for sale, it will need to be cleaned as far as the urine reach which is often below the carpet into the padding and subfloor.

Send an email for the latest edition of my training manual on how to deal with urine contamination - stores.csr@bridgewatercorp.net No charge to TMF members.
Appreciate it. Thinking i will be having some travel time though being more rural and i definitely feel the need to eliminate extra expenses on start up so i'm not sure a appointment will be possible always. However as long as I'm not way out of line on my prices i feel the customors will probably work with me.
thanks,
josh

joshua noonan

Nov 9, 2014
Chanute, KS
Real Name
Joshua Noonan
Take a few IICRC courses. You don't learn a lot about day to day operations, but you learn a ton about the cleaning process. I found it gave me a lot to talk to customers about in a more knowledgeable/professional way and that helps set you apart from the average cleaner.
Yes, the first course in my area is Feb. 13 and i'm looking forward to it. I know it will give me a lot of industry information that I currently lack.

Reactions: Scott W

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Yes, the first course in my area is Feb. 13 and i'm looking forward to it. I know it will give me a lot of industry information that I currently lack.
Do you have the manual yet? You can get it at the jondon site.