New to the Game

Mike P.

Aug 1, 2011
ca
Real Name
Mike Phelps
Business Location
United States
Hello everyone, I am about three weeks away from starting my new company and I am looking for as much advice as I can get in regard to what equipment to buy. First, I need to know if the oscillating machines ( for example, The Challenger system) is worth even considering. Next, is the rx20 or the 360,360i the way to go? Any help would be appreciated.

dgardner

Jan 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Dan Gardner
Mike, Welcome to TMF. What is your target customer - residential or commercial? Have you taken any classes yet?

Unless you're planning to do mainly commercial, the OP machines may not be the best to start out with.

Mike P.

Aug 1, 2011
ca
Real Name
Mike Phelps
Business Location
United States
Mostly residential and a few small businesses and maybe a church.

Mike P.

Aug 1, 2011
ca
Real Name
Mike Phelps
Business Location
United States
Yes. I have used HWE before. My business will be fairly small and I was trying to avoid the mounted expensive sytems. I am open to a portable extractor and good rotary tool. This is why I am weighing the option of OP versus HWE.

braddaddy

Dec 8, 2009
Illinois
Real Name
Br@d Bl@ckwell
Business Location
United States
goto your nearest supply house and try the equipment out....

leave the wallet at home

leave the credit card and chkbook home as well....

ride your bike there.... or take public trans....

Tommy C

Apr 23, 2010
Real Name
N/A
Business Location
United States
Congrats on the start up... as a guy in the know told me when I started out... "Prepare for a great roller coaster ride"... and he was right!

But, I would have to say that if you're going porty over TM to save money you probably should also hold off on the Rotovac until you are actually making enough money to pay for one... you don't need one to get clean carpet... it just makes it easier.

Good luck and hang on tight!

Mike P.

Aug 1, 2011
ca
Real Name
Mike Phelps
Business Location
United States
Tommy thanks for the congrats. So, i have enough money to buy a good portable and a good rotovac. My concern is: the right equipment vs the popular equipment?! I really want to do the best job as quickly and most cost effectively as possible. Any more advice would be great. Mike

Tommy C

Apr 23, 2010
Real Name
N/A
Business Location
United States
The right equipment and the popular equipment are going to be pretty much the same... carpet cleaners tend to use what works. A good quality porty and a Rotovac are more than enough to do GREAT carpet cleaning. But, your equipment will only play a backing role (as long as it doesn't look like junk) in your success. Much more important will be how well you use it and how well you present yourself and your company.

If you need porty recommendations, use the search function on this board, search for 'porty' and 'portable', read EVERYTHING you can find, then make a decision... that last one... making decisions, is what being self-employed is all about.

Nick P

Sep 30, 2008
Florida
Real Name
Nick Palumbo
Business Location
United States
Welcome to the forum and good luck!
Nick

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
Great to have you Mike. I think you will find a lot of good knowledgeable people
here . That in itself can be a very nice resource.
I realize you may already have some idea as to what equipment you are going to get but
in any even the most important part of your system as far as hot water extraction is the
extractor itself. Their are several good ones out there and the technology is much better
these days than back when I got started in the 1970's for instance. Some portables are using
the new conical shaped vacuum motors to enable them to be able to clean carpet not only
more effectively but also more efficiently and easily. For one thing some of these extractors
can handle over 100 feet of vacuum hose and still have less than 2 hour drying times.
This makes it possible for you to leave equipment in some cases in your van . In other
cases many leave their units on the porch. This way you are not exhausting humid foul
air into the cleaning area of the house or bldg. you are cleaning. Rotary power wands are
nice but a good high pressure pump with flow like some of the machines you will read about
on the forums are quite capable with just an ordinary stainless steel wand.
. Some use for instance 2 high airflow 3 stages in parallel with a 500 psi pump
with good flow. One uses larger in diameter extreme high airflow 2 stages in parallel with
basically the same pump . They have the auto fill and auto discharge features and some
of the less expensive models will have the same power but no auto features. Really its just
a matter of preference and of course budget. Let me also encourage you after you have done
a lot of research and figure out what you feel will work for you and that is find a good used
extractor. You usually can find one of these quite expensive models I am talking about for
about half the cost of a new one. So that is exactly what I would do. Same really with these
Rotovac power wands. They are nice just getting started I would wait and find a good used
one. A quality wand with a Teflon glide on it can clean any carpet. I have talked too much
here so anyway best wishes in your building a business!

Jan

Reactions: StevenB.