New to the business | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

New to the business

-Woogity-

Jul 7, 2019
Real Name
Holden Erstad
I’m new to the business and am looking at hot water machines to do flat work consisting of gas stations, fast food restaurants, strip malls, and driveways. Would it be more beneficial to buy a hot and a cold unit or simply just a hot machine?

I’d like to put everything in a small enclosed trailer and also get a buffer tank. 35-65 gallons(?).

What do you recommend?

Currently I am eyeing the hot2go with a Honda engine. Model SH40004HH and the Pressure-Pro Model 4012-10G.

Any tips are much appreciated!

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
hotsy are good pressure washers...
northern tools are good .....

definetly get a deisel heater.....

do your research...talk to some pressure washer guys......

most pressure washer guys like 6-10 gpm....
i believe those units you listed were 4 gpm......

-Woogity-

Jul 7, 2019
Real Name
Holden Erstad
hotsy are good pressure washers...
northern tools are good .....

definetly get a deisel heater.....

do your research...talk to some pressure washer guys......

most pressure washer guys like 6-10 gpm....
i believe those units you listed were 4 gpm......
Yes I’ve been told to go higher GPM but not sure how to set up the correct buffer tank while running a hose longer than 150ft for residential.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
you may have to look into reclamation as some cities require this........check the city codes.......
You will probably want to invest in reclamation equipment because the $10,000 fine for allowing your runoff to enter the waterways via roadway drainage is just the beginning of your woes if it happens. If they want to have a hazmat drill at your expense, not only is there a $10K fine, but you can be charged for the cleanup as well and they will assume there are toxic substances so they will break out the hazmat suits at $3K a piece, heavy equipment, and personnel out the yazoo. Your investment in reclamation equipment will look like a very good investment should you ever get busted for a runoff problem.

Further, it is not just city codes you have to worry with, it is EPA as well usually at the local, state and federal levels.

Reactions: -Woogity-

-Woogity-

Jul 7, 2019
Real Name
Holden Erstad
You will probably want to invest in reclamation equipment because the $10,000 fine for allowing your runoff to enter the waterways via roadway drainage is just the beginning of your woes if it happens. If they want to have a hazmat drill at your expense, not only is there a $10K fine, but you can be charged for the cleanup as well and they will assume there are toxic substances so they will break out the hazmat suits at $3K a piece, heavy equipment, and personnel out the yazoo. Your investment in reclamation equipment will look like a very good investment should you ever get busted for a runoff problem.

Further, it is not just city codes you have to worry with, it is EPA as well usually at the local, state and federal levels.
There are no reclaim issues where I’m at. That being said, I think I will invest in reclaim to be the only one that offers it as a greener approach. With the way the world is going, it’ll be mandatory at some point in the near future I’m sure.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If you are a 1-2 man operation 4 GPM is fine with another lower psi pw'er to rinse behind the spinner. Chems and heat to 180° will clean faster with less water than water at crazy heat. You can average $80+ an hour after expenses, easy.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
That can be fairly profitable work. go hot!!! And go is big GPM as you can flow is very important

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Im new as well, but have just started taking on a few commercial jobs(Couple mechanic shops) Have a 4.75GPM machine with a 16inch surface cleaner. The speed in acceptable fopr small areas, but if you are looking at lots of surface work i would DEF recommend looking at 8GPM+. If you have a buffer tank you should use it. They also recommend min of 1 GPM for every 4 inches of your surface cleaner, so that would allow you to get a 20+inch one.

Like i said im no expert, But i can already tell that if i had a smaller set up it would start drifting towards the slower side, and if the jobs i was doing where much larger id probably start lacking in speed with my current sized machine. Even if you just got a 6GPM would probably be a pretty sweet spot for speed/cost for startup.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You can make ground with organization and hose management from the guy not on a tool. This job was a 6.5 floor parking deck done in 4.5 days. The spinner is a 28" with a 4 GPM pushing it and it can out run 2 guys rinsing if it's on a short lease.
20160620_150536.jpg

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
Hot water is good for commercial.. if you get the hot water unit you don’t need a cold water unit. Later on you can purchase a smaller 4gpm 13 hp unit.. Nothing wrong with a 5 gpm unit. Buffer tank is setup regular. Around 2-3 feet from the Pressure washer. It doesn’t matter how much hose you run. Your tank will stay in the same area.

Hoss4x4

Sep 25, 2011
Real Name
Dennis Graham
Business Location
United States
I have a 5 GPM Landa and we use a 35 gallon buffer tank. Most places that tank size is fine, however we did a house a few weeks ago that only put out 2.5 GPM. Take a 5 gallon bucket and measure 60 seconds when you bid a job to see GPM. I don't like to haul big buffer tanks.

Reactions: rob allen