new to internet marketing, suggestions please

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Started in 1981 and have a good customer base which keeps me pretty busy throughout the year but wanted to at least make a presence online. Owner/Operator for the last 20 years and have had no advertising at all. This past year started a website just to have a video to show new customers the cleaning procedure and have general information available to current customers. Then got on Google Search for our service area.

There are two pages of Carpet Cleaners on Google Search in our area and I am at the bottom of page 2 (as I would expect) I contacted Google Ads to see how I could move up. The more I read the more I am confused.

All I want is to move up in the local search. Im not really interested in putting ads all over the internet. I get the idea of how it should be done (Pay per click ads create interest to your Website and scheduling is done online) but the intention of my Website isnt to get someone to book a job (actually there is nothing on my website such as Live Chat or Online Scheduling) its just to have an online presence.

Im not going to get caught up in the PPC bidding war - I dont need a whole lot of new customers - just prefer to get onto the first page. So Im looking for suggestions as to how I should proceed.

Thank you.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
You dont have to have online booking to run adwords campaigns just be ready to answer your phone when it rings.

Just throwing that out there.

But what your asking for is you want to rank organically on page 1. To do this you need SEO.

If you want to do it yourself research it on youtube etc and youll find lots of info on it. You need the correct amount of words per page, backlinks, page titles etc.

Lots of tricks to doing it, and googles algorithm is ever changing.

We pay a company to do it for us and also run our ad campaigns... the way I see it if we spend X amount of $ and the return is good then its worth it.

At the same time we can shut all our ads off and stay busy no problem but we are constantly bringing in new clientele and charging higher rates, weeding out the lower value customers if they cant be converted to paying more for less.

Dizzle Dazzle

Sep 24, 2019
Real Name
Konrad Bilinski
Business Location
Canada
You dont have to have online booking to run adwords campaigns just be ready to answer your phone when it rings.

Just throwing that out there.

But what your asking for is you want to rank organically on page 1. To do this you need SEO.

If you want to do it yourself research it on youtube etc and youll find lots of info on it. You need the correct amount of words per page, backlinks, page titles etc.

Lots of tricks to doing it, and googles algorithm is ever changing.

We pay a company to do it for us and also run our ad campaigns... the way I see it if we spend X amount of $ and the return is good then its worth it.

At the same time we can shut all our ads off and stay busy no problem but we are constantly bringing in new clientele and charging higher rates, weeding out the lower value customers if they cant be converted to paying more for less.
Just curious, how long have you guys been in business?

Toughjobs

Mar 9, 2021
toughjobs.org
Real Name
Drew Spinoso
I should write a book, "Thousand ways to Skin a Cat - How to market your small business!"
The hardest part of marketing any business is trying to not become overwhelmed to the point where one becomes paralyzed. "Baby Steps" is essential! Start with your Website > Set-Up and Optimize Google My Business Profile > Optimizing Website > Add yourself to every relevant directory > Buy relevant Backlinks > Post to your Social Sites > Have system in place for Reviews > Make sure you have a "mailchimp" account and get your email marketing up to speed monthly letting your clients know about all the new "whats happenings" in your town or business and sprinkle blog posts from your website so they click on them.

repspro

Apr 11, 2021
repairsprout.com
Real Name
Bogdan Krstic
Agree with Toughjobs, digital marketing can seem very overwhelming if you're new to it. All the steps they have laid out should be followed.

However, I wouldn't buy backlinks. It's okay if you're paying a professional to build links for you but if you're straight up buying links, you can get penalized. Google has been cracking down on link buyers and sellers since the late 2000s. If you don't know how to buy links, don't even stress learning about it.

Wasquez and mrotto, SEO revolves around three things:
1. User experience - UX
2. Content, which partly falls under UX as well
3. Connections - backlinks

Let's go over each one of these.

1. UX is a valuable metric. It's revolves around user behavior on your website. If a user immediately clicks of your site upon landing on it, that's a bad UX. However, if a user stays on your website for a couple of minutes, visits multiple pages, submits a contact form or watches a video, that's a good UX.

How to improve your UX?
- Have a fast loading time (under 3 seconds)
- Have an SSL (HTTPS URL)
- Great design and navigation
- Mobile friendly design - your website must function properly on mobile as well
- Internal and external linking

2. Although UX is a big player, people won't discover you if you don't have any content on your website. Content is what will rank you in the search engines.

How to come up with content?

Let's say you have a page about mold remediation. Instead of just listing your phone number and address, you want to have content that will both sell the service and answer people's questions.

Use AnswerThePublic software to find people's questions. Here's what we got for "mold remediation".

67f784c2-4827-4af6-9b31-d6639e41e5db.png

Just provide people with answer to some of these questions - filter the most important ones - and be helpful.

When it comes to commercial pages, it's a little bit harder to do this because you have to sell on your page as well. Try doing something like this:

moldremediation.png

I could go on and on. Let me know if you want a more in-depth help on this.

3. Backlinks

Yes, links are important but only for some people.

You may be in an area that's small and doesn't have a lot of competitors. In this case, you could probably rank without any links.

What if you're in a big metro area?

Then you'd probably need them.

Backlinks are connections. The best way to build backlinks is to leverage your existing network and figure out what you could do for them in exchange for links from their websites.

Again, this is also a topic that requires more explanation.

I'd be happy to help you out if you need it though. Just let me know.

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
Started in 1981 and have a good customer base which keeps me pretty busy throughout the year but wanted to at least make a presence online. Owner/Operator for the last 20 years and have had no advertising at all. This past year started a website just to have a video to show new customers the cleaning procedure and have general information available to current customers. Then got on Google Search for our service area.

There are two pages of Carpet Cleaners on Google Search in our area and I am at the bottom of page 2 (as I would expect) I contacted Google Ads to see how I could move up. The more I read the more I am confused.

All I want is to move up in the local search. Im not really interested in putting ads all over the internet. I get the idea of how it should be done (Pay per click ads create interest to your Website and scheduling is done online) but the intention of my Website isnt to get someone to book a job (actually there is nothing on my website such as Live Chat or Online Scheduling) its just to have an online presence.

Im not going to get caught up in the PPC bidding war - I dont need a whole lot of new customers - just prefer to get onto the first page. So Im looking for suggestions as to how I should proceed.

Thank you.
My friend and I are starting a digital marketing company. I would love to talk with you if you still are wanting to boost your online rankings with Google.

We have been working on a specific plan for home service providers.

Plus we need some initial clients to showcase our great work!

A little about our system:

As a carpet cleaner, I got up to 5 figures of monthly revenue in the first 6 months of being open! All through SEO and Google ads. That's it! Seems to work very well!

I would love to talk with you and also talk shop and Wisconsin in general. I am originally from Milwaukee!