New to carpet cleaning and looking for product recommendations | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

New to carpet cleaning and looking for product recommendations

lady tech

Sep 18, 2020
Real Name
Dani Barney
I'm brand new to carpet cleaning and have a tough job coming up next week. White carpet (Nylon) that is soiled in every room with pet stains. Mainly urine and feces stains from 5 dogs. The owners said many of the stains were over a year old. Any product recommendations you have are super helpful!

• Haha
Reactions: Odin

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I'm brand new to carpet cleaning and have a tough job coming up next week. White carpet (Nylon) that is soiled in every room with pet stains. Mainly urine and feces stains from 5 dogs. The owners said many of the stains were over a year old. Any product recommendations you have are super helpful!
How new are you to carpet cleaning? 5 dogs, are you smelling urine? Age of carpet? Have you informed the homeowner that urine left untreated will cause discoloration from the salts and there is no guarantee of 100% removal? Urine salts will also cause delamination of the 2 backings and when you begin your process it could make the delamination worse. Do you have any pics? If the carpet has a Jute backing then maybe you should refer to a more experienced cleaner. If I were attempting this job I would want to pull the carpet back and see the extent of the contamination if it is as bad as you say.

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
I like the Zep products at Home Depot and the Odo bane stuff too

• Haha
Reactions: gordon qian

lady tech

Sep 18, 2020
Real Name
Dani Barney
How new are you to carpet cleaning? 5 dogs, are you smelling urine? Age of carpet? Have you informed the homeowner that urine left untreated will cause discoloration from the salts and there is no guarantee of 100% removal? Urine salts will also cause delamination of the 2 backings and when you begin your process it could make the delamination worse. Do you have any pics? If the carpet has a Jute backing then maybe you should refer to a more experienced cleaner. If I were attempting this job I would want to pull the carpet back and see the extent of the contamination if it is as bad as you say.
I just started doing jobs 2 weeks ago. Yes, I warned clients of delamination and no guarantee of success (I took a CCT class just this week so at least learned enough to say that). Truth be told I'm normally a high paid desk jocky but took a new VP position with a startup about three weeks ago. The owner runs a residential home cleaning company and decided right when I started that he should start offering carpet and window cleaning. Then he flew to Florida and drove a Chevy Van with a Boxxer 318 back to Seattle with him. I'm a stubborn woman so I am going to make this work and I'm going to figure this out, but in the meantime I'm trying to maintain his reputation with his existing home cleaning clients. It's probably a long shot that folks will want to help, but I am open to your thoughts and input if you do. This seemed like the best place to get advice from the pros. I'm a fast learner and want to do right by our clients.

• Wow
Reactions: Johnny Bravo

lady tech

Sep 18, 2020
Real Name
Dani Barney
I just started doing jobs 2 weeks ago. Yes, I warned clients of delamination and no guarantee of success (I took a CCT class just this week so at least learned enough to say that). Truth be told I'm normally a high paid desk jocky but took a new VP position with a startup about three weeks ago. The owner runs a residential home cleaning company and decided right when I started that he should start offering carpet and window cleaning. Then he flew to Florida and drove a Chevy Van with a Boxxer 318 back to Seattle with him. I'm a stubborn woman so I am going to make this work and I'm going to figure this out, but in the meantime I'm trying to maintain his reputation with his existing home cleaning clients. It's probably a long shot that folks will want to help, but I am open to your thoughts and input if you do. This seemed like the best place to get advice from the pros. I'm a fast learner and want to do right by our clients.
Oh and no jute. I did the fiber test and the carpet appears to be 100% nylon.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Strong prespray to do all the rugs once. Lots of flushing and dry strokes. A urine treatment to post treat the spots with then extract them again. Fiber rinse works sometimes in a pinch. Maybe a deodorizer with an enzyme.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Do you even know how to operate the Boxer? Since your in Seattle you could visit Jon Don and get as much info as you can. I would try and see if you could sub this one out and see if you could observe or better yet be a helper. The problem with your situation is that the price of the treatments may not be cost effective. Let's say you have a bed room that has at least 12 urine deposits with a cost of $45 each min would be a cost of $545 plus pad, install and don't forget cleaning after treatments are done. The cost of new carpet would be not be much higher. These things you gain through experience. The total cost of all you will be performing may not be practical for the homeowner. You have different options that you can choose after you make an inspection which could be as simple as applying topical treatments or flush then saturation for each spot and the extreme of replacing pad, flushing carpet with total saturation with extraction then reinstall carpet followed with cleaning and topical treatment. Oh, I almost forgot "sealing the sub floor". Your intentions may be in the right place but you can get in over your head real fast with this type of Pet Odor Job.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
and remember, with the number of spots your working with you need to determine exactly where every single one is. So here is how this is gunna play out.

Mrs client is going to show you 15 spots the dogs have gone. Little does she know that there are actually 23. So you treat the 15 spots and charge her mucho money. then (even if your successful in removing ALL odor from the 15 spots) the next week Mrs client calls because she still smells urine so your treatment didnt work. Well it DID work but you just missed the 8 spots she did not know about. So now what?

gordon qian

Oct 31, 2019
Real Name
gordon qian
Business Location
Canada
grab an uv flashlight (if money isnt an issue you can buy rob allen's uv light) and use it during the prespray so you won't miss any of the urine spot. Keep in mind some urine spots might have already penetrated through the carpet into the padding so don't soak the carpet or else the urine might seep back from the padding.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Get hold of some of TMF products, they work!!

Black label, Unchained is also very powerful.

I would however strongly advice you to take a class and get IICRC certified. Its worth it. Education is always worth it! If you dont like IICRC then at least subscribe to Rob Allens training courses.

Best of luck, CHEERS!!!

lin xin

Oct 19, 2020
Real Name
tongxin
I read all of your post, I think you should use a mop to sweep the trash or use a shovel to clean up the stains older than one year first, then we can use a strong suction vacuum cleaner to clean it. Such as APOSEN Cordless Vacuum Cleaner H250 (Red) has 24000pa Super Suction, it can help you clean the carpet.

• Haha
Reactions: gordon qian

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I read all of your post, I think you should use a mop to sweep the trash or use a shovel to clean up the stains older than one year first, then we can use a strong suction vacuum cleaner to clean it. Such as APOSEN Cordless Vacuum Cleaner H250 (Red) has 24000pa Super Suction, it can help you clean the carpet.
Super Suction? You had me at suction.