New to business trying to decide on portable | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

New to business trying to decide on portable

Cameron14

Dec 30, 2019
Real Name
Cameron Wilhoite
Hi my name is cameron and I am new to the business, I just got done with the carpet cleaning class and I am looking to get started. Getting started on a budget and I am trying to decide what portable to start with? I currently have three brands I am looking at.
1. Nautilus
2 Mytee
3. Endeavor EDIC
Any help or product reviews will be helpful and much appreciated. I’m new so trying to find a good machine. I know the endeavor will do carpet and tile which is helpful the other two I believe I have to get two machines to have the heat for carpet plus psi for tile, unless I had a external heater which adds another plug. Looking forward to getting started just trying to find the best route to go? Thank you

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Heated portables aren't really a big need if you can get hot water to put in them. I have one and most days I can't even get enough power out of a building to kick the heat on in general. I've used a Nautilus though and they're very good machines. The wheels on the handle make it really easy to load and unload from a van or truck.

Cameron14

Dec 30, 2019
Real Name
Cameron Wilhoite
Thank you, is it really hard to run a heated portable in different buildings due to the amps it draws? Does using hot water from a sink work good for your business in cleaning carpets?

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Newer buildings not so much but a lot of the buildings I do portable work in have old wiring and not the best amps. Most hot water heaters are set to 115-125 degrees and I normally clean with around 150-160 at the wand so the difference isn't huge when I can just let my prespray dwell a little longer and scrub the carpet. They probably went over this in your carpet class but TACT is one of the most important things to learn. Temp, Agitation, Chemical, Time. If you have less of one use more of the other 3. Less heat just means more dwell time, maybe agitate with a crb. I know guys here will tell you that you need to CRB every job but I went 5 years without one and did just fine. I do have one now though and it helps a lot on the super trashed jobs.

Reactions: Mel B

Cameron14

Dec 30, 2019
Real Name
Cameron Wilhoite
Thank you that is very helpful, I want a crb just have to see if I can afford one. That is great to know that you can scrub and let them dwell time to help you as you get started. Thank you

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Thank you that is very helpful, I want a crb just have to see if I can afford one. That is great to know that you can scrub and let them dwell time to help you as you get started. Thank you
If I could do it all over again I’d get the Mytee Airhog with the water hog if still available. No doubt about it. If I ever went to doing this part time I’d get rid of the TM and rock this combo along with a swivel wand and various scrubbers. Don’t get any of the heaters they’re not worth the trouble.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Mel B

Jan 4, 2020
Real Name
Mel Bigelow
We have many years on our Mytee with dual heaters, Zero problems
We've always run Cool Down water thru it after use with the heaters so the system doesn't cool down while closed up water tight.
Passed this on to our repair tech with 30 years experience, he was like "Hell, I never thought of that, I'll pass it on to my customers"!

Cameron14

Dec 30, 2019
Real Name
Cameron Wilhoite
Thank you both for the input that really helps. I have been looking at mytee just was not sure on how they hold up and perform. I have found some good deals on them though. Thank you all for the advice, trying to learn what I can.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
It’s a little pricey but we and all top end rug cleaning shops use the Nautilus MXE 500. It has auto fill, auto dump and sucks like a Truckmount. No heat but still a beast!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Reactions: keep it clean

Cameron14

Dec 30, 2019
Real Name
Cameron Wilhoite
Thank you that’s good to know, sounds like I would be better to get a higher psi portable to do tile and just use the crb to help for not having heat. Do you have a good list of chemicals Rob with mix ratios, where and when to use them and so on?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Will the crb make up the difference for not having heat?
Absolutely. I never had a heater. Just whatever came out of the faucet. Sometimes commercial the only heater they have is the small gallon heater under the sink. Which was worthless other then mixing prespray. Now that should be mixed hot btw. Find the chems that work for you and scrub scrub scrub. Then rinse. Ive used crb, oreck orbiter (residential) and a 17" 175. They all work well. Some easier to operate then the other. But all will get it done.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Cameron14

Dec 30, 2019
Real Name
Cameron Wilhoite
Thank you both, I have been looking for a 175 maybe to start until I can get a crb machine. Any good chemicals that work the best for y’all on carpet and tile? Trying to find good chemicals to start with.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
i actually really love vacaways products...
and yes these are made for extraction and scrubbing..no just encap....
I just got a free sample of about 9 products...great stuff...
877/333-9964
this is a pic of the koblenz that is 20 lbs. lighter than most 175...
as it has a polyurethane bottom....at 83 lbs,

Cameron14

Dec 30, 2019
Real Name
Cameron Wilhoite
Thank you I will give them a call and see what they can set me up with, I will check into those machines. Do you have good results with them?

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Thank you both, I have been looking for a 175 maybe to start until I can get a crb machine. Any good chemicals that work the best for y’all on carpet and tile? Trying to find good chemicals to start with.
You’ll have to wheel the portable inside on many jobs so that’s why I recommended the setup I’m talking about. With the Airhog and separate pump you can bring them in piece by piece. Believe me taking a porty upstairs gets old real quick. I have an EDIC and it got to the point where I felt as if that fugger was trying to kill me. You can use just about any portable in a rug shop and get great results. You just shorten the hose to 15feet. What you want out there n the field is versatility. The Airhog has a filter and pump out too. It’s powerful, light weight and versatile. Then you got that separate pump if they still make them. If not available I’d get a separate one.