New Starter - Feedback on my proposed set-up? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

New Starter - Feedback on my proposed set-up?

Castle

Sep 11, 2018
Real Name
John Castle
Hi Guys, I have spent a fair bit of time lurking here, thanks in already for all the good information I have already found.

I am looking to start a new business, I currently work in another industry but want a chance with a business that keeps me active and a bit of autonomy.

Before I pull the trigger I am looking for some feedback on the equipment and what I am trying to achieve. So I will try and keep it simple and to the point. There is a bit of detail.

The market I'm going for will be apartments (residences and large common areas), town houses etc and some commercial. Both carpet and tiles

Initial start-up costs are a big limiting factor but I don't want to be having holes in the services at the start or only being able to do a half job.

I'm OCD when it comes to cleaning and its very important to me that I give a good service to any customers but I will need to balance that against the amount time I spend doing each job

After a lot of reading, including your posts, my thought was to buy a new Rotowash and a cheap 175 and do CRB/VLM cleaning due to lower initial costs, get good at that and then buy a portable HWE unit when I can afford to.

This is what I thought should be my equipment purchases ( I am based in Perth, Australia, so decisions have been made on quality equipment that is also available):

- Good quality 360mm dual motor vacuum (Columbus, Windsor or Taski)

- Rotowash R30B (11.1 inch/300) or R45B Escalator (17 inch/440mm)
  • There are lot of escalators near me and its potentially a huge untapped market but I am concerned about the size of the R45. Though on the forums the guys say 10inch is too small and ideal is between 15inch - 20inch
rotowash.com.au/Pdf%20Models/Rotowash_R30B.pdf
rotowash.com.au/Pdf%20Models/Rotowash_R45B%20ESC.pdf

- 175 with scrubbers and bonnets
  • For additional scrubbing and post vlm drying if needed.

So my questions are:

Does this sound like a good setup, anything missing?

What's the best order to use the machines to achieve the best result?
  • eg Vacuum > CRB > bonnet?

Apparently chemicals are critical for CRB cleaning, what chemicals do you recommend?

Anything else you think I need to know?

Ed Valentine

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan, USA
cross-american.com
Real Name
Ed Valentine
Business Location
United States
I am based in Perth, Australia,

Because of the distance and amperage, hz, etc, I would highly recommend contacting a company we deal with extensively who is located in the UK; SOLUTIONS, Cornwall (01209 204343) . They have sold equipment/cleaning agents in your country and also in New Zealand. In fact, they may be in the process of setting up an office in New Zealand as well.

They would have any details of pros/cons/etc and could answer most of your questions so that you will not have problems as a start up. Tell them I suggested you contact them!

Best;
Ed Valentine

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
The Rotowash uses a tank that can get rather heavy when filled with cleaning solution. The center of gravity is a little off for me. I do prefer the Brush Pro CRBs, but the Rotobrush will do the job fine, just may tire you a little more quickly.

Check with Ben at Tensen's for your encapsulation cleaning chemicals.

Your process is correct for a start-up. It doesn't seem like you will be trying to clean heavily soiled areas, so you should be OK until you get a good portable.

Castle

Sep 11, 2018
Real Name
John Castle
I am based in Perth, Australia,

Because of the distance and amperage, hz, etc, I would highly recommend contacting a company we deal with extensively who is located in the UK; SOLUTIONS, Cornwall (01209 204343) . They have sold equipment/cleaning agents in your country and also in New Zealand. In fact, they may be in the process of setting up an office in New Zealand as well.

They would have any details of pros/cons/etc and could answer most of your questions so that you will not have problems as a start up. Tell them I suggested you contact them!

Best;
Ed Valentine
Cheers Ed, I will drop them a message

The Rotowash uses a tank that can get rather heavy when filled with cleaning solution. The center of gravity is a little off for me. I do prefer the Brush Pro CRBs, but the Rotobrush will do the job fine, just may tire you a little more quickly.

Check with Ben at Tensen's for your encapsulation cleaning chemicals.

Your process is correct for a start-up. It doesn't seem like you will be trying to clean heavily soiled areas, so you should be OK until you get a good portable.
Thanks Scott, I saw Tensens when I was doing my initial research.

What about the CRB size, do I go with the general consensus and get at least the 17 inch?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Cheers Ed, I will drop them a message

Thanks Scott, I saw Tensens when I was doing my initial research.

What about the CRB size, do I go with the general consensus and get at least the 17 inch?
If you anticipate doing a lot of stairs or crowded areas, the 10" will be OK.

The 17" is the all around can be used any place machine. Not perfect for small places, not as fast as it could be for large places, but OK anywhere.

The 20" Brush Pro is for commercial and large open spaces to cover the most ground the fastest.

My jobs are mostly commercial except my own home. I like the 20". But, you will know what type of jobs you will be doing much better than I.

Castle

Sep 11, 2018
Real Name
John Castle
If you anticipate doing a lot of stairs or crowded areas, the 10" will be OK.

The 17" is the all around can be used any place machine. Not perfect for small places, not as fast as it could be for large places, but OK anywhere.

The 20" Brush Pro is for commercial and large open spaces to cover the most ground the fastest.

My jobs are mostly commercial except my own home. I like the 20". But, you will know what type of jobs you will be doing much better than I.
Yeah my concern is getting a small one that limits my ability to do bigger jobs, whereas the more versatile 17inch is going to give me more options at the beginning.

If all goes to plan, at a minimum I would look at getting a 10inch machine further down the track and possibly the biggest if there is a need.

Do you ever use a bonnet post CRB for assisting in drying?

BTW thanks for your answers in this, it helps solidify what I am planning to do.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Scott’s advice is spot on. Heed it.

Reactions: Scott W

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Do you ever use a bonnet post CRB for assisting in drying?
Yes, sometimes we do post bonnet to speed up drying and to pick up any soil that has started to wick. But, not on every job.