New portable owner for tile and grout cleaning... need advice

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Bro there is only 2 ways to scrub grout lines....
imo.....

1. Hand scrub brush...
  2. Or crb. Where the brush gets down into the grout....
A 175 will scrub tile but won't get into the groutlines

It will take a learning curve but you gotta let that crb brush go down into the grout ...

Takes time
But better than back labor on a hand brush
pretty sure in this thread and other places its been said that you can do Tile and grout by; respray, 175 with grout brush, and then portable with wand.

I was kind of hoping this is true so I can try to do tile/grout when starting out with my initial equipment I invest in.

Do I have this wrong? Thoughts welcome.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
pretty sure in this thread and other places its been said that you can do Tile and grout by; respray, 175 with grout brush, and then portable with wand.

I was kind of hoping this is true so I can try to do tile/grout when starting out with my initial equipment I invest in.

Do I have this wrong? Thoughts welcome.
I know of many guys who do it this way because they don't have the heavier equipment to do it. It will work - slowly, but it will work.

The key with tile equipment is efficiency - save steps and time and thus increase profit margin.

Reactions: Select

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
175 wont clean down into grout lines..
.although many have said it would....
so i have gone back 3-4 times to test.....wont work.....

easy test.....purchase a grout brush vs a
4" x 8"(approximate) hand brush on stick.....

scrub the grout lines with both brushes side by side for a comparison.....

same with a crb vs a 175.......
reason
stiff grout brush will suspend the 175 above the grout lines and prevent the brush from penetrating into the grout line

now some are stating that a Cimex with the smaller 6" scrubbing brushes and extra weight will clean grout lines?????
I dont know??
but am guessing it will clean grout better than a 175
but not as good as a CRB....???

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna

reason
stiff grout brush will suspend the 175 above the grout lines and prevent the brush from penetrating into the grout line

now some are stating that a Cimex with the smaller 6" scrubbing brushes and extra weight will clean grout lines?????
I dont know??
Anderson, you seem like a very helpful guy. With all due respect, you might have to take this up with @Mama Fen ^

Also, Im not doubting anyones advice Im just pointing out the differences in what's being stated. Especially in this case because Mama Fen is stating she knows of many guys who do it with a 175 and granted it does take longer cutting into margins, etc.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States

reason

I dont know??
A grout brush will certainly do a better job on grout lines than any sort of pad or brush on a rotary - that's a given. Some guys bother with it, some don't. Personally, I can't imagine doing a tile floor without a grout brush regardless of whether a spinner, Gekko, or 175 is involved.

Reactions: burbuja2 and Select

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
A grout brush will certainly do a better job on grout lines than any sort of pad or brush on a rotary - that's a given. Some guys bother with it, some don't. Personally, I can't imagine doing a tile floor without a grout brush regardless of whether a spinner, Gekko, or 175 is involved.
Interesting. clears things up a little. Rather, adds additional perspective.