New portable owner for tile and grout cleaning... need advice

JDinAZ

Oct 26, 2018
Real Name
Josh DiGiovanni
Just bought a nautilus mx3-500 as I'm looking to start small by doing some residential tile and grout jobs. I also bought a wand - some grout master and - grout brush. I was doing a trial run on my own tile and found that I am going to probably need a better agitation system to really get the grout evenly clean.. what recommendations do you have for agitation? I can use the wand for extraction but should I get some sort of rotary? Not looking to break the bank.. thanks

mbrandt

Apr 5, 2011
Wisconsin
Real Name
Mark Brandt
Business Location
United States
What kind of wand do you have. Also a 175 Roto with brush would work for agitation. Also good cleaning solution and let dwell so it has time to work

Reactions: Scott W and JDinAZ

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
At 500 psi, the unit won't push most tile spinners, so a rotary is going to be your best bet as far as cleaning stone and tile, methinks.

If you're sticking to residential, you might look at a Rotovac 360i with the changeable heads - it's small (12") so it wouldn't be ideal for large flooring areas, but for resi it should be perfect. Plus, you can switch tile and carpet heads on-site to negate the need to carry multiple tools.

You can also use a 175 to scrub, then just use a Gekko-type wand to rinse, but I'm lazy and I don't like lugging around a 175 if I don't absolutely need to.

I bet @Scott W knows some killer setup tricks with this unit!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
With good chems an edging brush, an Oreck with the orange brush and a low end tile wand, there is not much you can't tackle. This Friday night I have a lock in bank carpet and tile job. I will be using 150 PSI like normal and it will turn out fabulous. I can bring a 1000 PSI 2.2 gpm pump and spinner, but it isn't necessary on the vast majority of jobs. Let the chems do the heavy lifting, scrub lightly as needed and rinse well.

JDinAZ

Oct 26, 2018
Real Name
Josh DiGiovanni
What kind of wand do you have. Also a 175 Roto with brush would work for agitation. Also good cleaning solution and let dwell so it has time to work
I got the Westpak tile blaster per recommendation from TMF customer support- i used GM and let dwell 15 with scrubbing, then used the westpak and it was not a huge transformation --

JDinAZ

Oct 26, 2018
Real Name
Josh DiGiovanni
At 500 psi, the unit won't push most tile spinners, so a rotary is going to be your best bet as far as cleaning stone and tile, methinks.

If you're sticking to residential, you might look at a Rotovac 360i with the changeable heads - it's small (12") so it wouldn't be ideal for large flooring areas, but for resi it should be perfect. Plus, you can switch tile and carpet heads on-site to negate the need to carry multiple tools.

You can also use a 175 to scrub, then just use a Gekko-type wand to rinse, but I'm lazy and I don't like lugging around a 175 if I don't absolutely need to.

I bet @Scott W knows some killer setup tricks with this unit!
thanks for the info i appreciate it..

JDinAZ

Oct 26, 2018
Real Name
Josh DiGiovanni
With good chems an edging brush, an Oreck with the orange brush and a low end tile wand, there is not much you can't tackle. This Friday night I have a lock in bank carpet and tile job. I will be using 150 PSI like normal and it will turn out fabulous. I can bring a 1000 PSI 2.2 gpm pump and spinner, but it isn't necessary on the vast majority of jobs. Let the chems do the heavy lifting, scrub lightly as needed and rinse well.
after doing a ton of research last night i ordered the oreck -- i think i got the green brush but i will order the orange tonite if you recommend that one. I did use GM on my own tile when i was trying the setup out and i did not get great results-- i may have under-dosed the solution. Since im just doing residential to start i figured the westpak wand, the oreck and some good chemicals should do the trick.. now im just trying to find my stride in the process as i worked too large of an area and let the chemical dry i assume.. im dealing with a residue on my floors now.
Thank you for the advice i appreciate it.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
You need 2.2 gpm to run a spinner. I do only hard surfaces and T&G cleaning is definitely better with 1000 psi and a spinner. Heat helps too.
Mix the GM at 2 scoops per gallon of hot tap water.
Spray grout lines only, let dwell for 10 mins, then right before rinsing spray a fine mist over the entire area.
Only work areas you can rinse before the chem dries. If it looks like it's drying, apply another mist of GM or even rinse water to keep it wet.
Rinse thoroughly to prevent residue.
Agitation is rarely necessary if you have the right tools.

Reactions: JDinAZ

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The green brush will work just fine. You will feel when it drops in the grout lines, move sloooow with it where it's really needed. I found a white garbage can at the dollar store that the Oreck just fits in the top of. I cut it down and scrub with around the orbiter for virtually zero slinging of solution onto anything, walls, appliances, etc... When you rinse put one jet exactly on the grout line as you pull back and pause with all jets on the perpendicular ones. Hot, low pressure water rinses pretty darn good IMO.
20181105_194619.jpg

Add 2 oz sodium percarbonate to your GM prespray for added radness. A little d-limonene doesn't hurt for greasy kitchens either. Good luck!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
This low end internal jet 8 flow wand with this modded round rubber gasket in place of the stock brush lip is my favorite extraction tool. It is not possible to even move on the floor with a TM, but just perfect with one vac motor on a portable (I use just the single stage motor for tile). It rinses great and leaves the floor wicked dry which seems to damn simple to work, but sometimes less is more.

20181105_211734.jpg

JDinAZ

Oct 26, 2018
Real Name
Josh DiGiovanni
This low end internal jet 8 flow wand with this modded round rubber gasket in place of the stock brush lip is my favorite extraction tool. It is not possible to even move on the floor with a TM, but just perfect with one vac motor on a portable (I use just the single stage motor for tile). It rinses great and leaves the floor wicked dry which seems to damn simple to work, but sometimes less is more.

View attachment 80943
Single stage vs both works better for u?

JDinAZ

Oct 26, 2018
Real Name
Josh DiGiovanni
The green brush will work just fine. You will feel when it drops in the grout lines, move sloooow with it where it's really needed. I found a white garbage can at the dollar store that the Oreck just fits in the top of. I cut it down and scrub with around the orbiter for virtually zero slinging of solution onto anything, walls, appliances, etc... When you rinse put one jet exactly on the grout line as you pull back and pause with all jets on the perpendicular ones. Hot, low pressure water rinses pretty darn good IMO.
View attachment 80942

Add 2 oz sodium percarbonate to your GM prespray for added radness. A little d-limonene doesn't hurt for greasy kitchens either. Good luck!
Pretty handy .. I get my oreck Wednesday I'll have to try this

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You only need one vac motor for tile cleaning period and you don't need crazy lift. You don't even need mad heat after you prespray and wait for it to work for you, but I'm a minority on most phases of cleaning in this industry and I sound like a kook most of the time.... I'm ok with that. Experience can't be bought.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
You only need one vac motor for tile cleaning period and you don't need crazy lift. You don't even need mad heat after you prespray and wait for it to work for you, but I'm a minority on most phases of cleaning in this industry and I sound like a kook most of the time.... I'm ok with that. Experience can't be bought.
I wouldn't call you a kook, Jim. I'd call you a freakin' genius.

At Home Despot, we had three categories of people - "Do It Myself", "Help Me Do It", and "Do It For Me".

It's the same in this industry - and you are the MOST Do It Yourself guy I have ever had the joy to work with. If something doesn't exist, or doesn't quite meet your expectations, you're one of those people with both the savvy and the imagination to make the darn thing on your own.

Nimblybimbly

Aug 10, 2017
Real Name
Nathan Paul
Just bought a nautilus mx3-500 as I'm looking to start small by doing some residential tile and grout jobs. I also bought a wand - some grout master and - grout brush. I was doing a trial run on my own tile and found that I am going to probably need a better agitation system to really get the grout evenly clean.. what recommendations do you have for agitation? I can use the wand for extraction but should I get some sort of rotary? Not looking to break the bank.. thanks
Have you gotten any tile jobs yet? Have a website?

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Bro there is only 2 ways to scrub grout lines....
imo.....

1. Hand scrub brush...
2. Or crb. Where the brush gets down into the grout....
A 175 will scrub tile but won't get into the groutlines

It will take a learning curve but you gotta let that crb brush go down into the grout ...

Takes time
But better than back labor on a hand brush