Jason-1CC

May 8, 2017
Real Name
Jason Shirey
Hello everyone,

I purchased a janitorial/commercial cleaning company last year from some people I know that were trying to retire. We offer janitorial services, carpet cleaning and stripping/waxing/buffing of floors.

I have had many requests for residential carpet cleaning services that I have had to turn down due to my equipment limitations. I'm currently using a portable machine with wand and 25' hoses. I am anxious to learn more and expand my offerings to current and future clients.

Jason

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States
Welcome aboard TMF!

@Jason Miller does all those services as well, our company doesnt do any janitorial work.

Do you have a current budget to upgrade from a portable?

Jason-1CC

May 8, 2017
Real Name
Jason Shirey
I don't have a budget in mind, yet. I just started researching truck mounted equipment so I don't know what is considered budget friendly vs high end. Is it possible to trailer mount a system instead of truck mounting it? I have an enclosed trailer that I wanted to dedicate for carpet cleaning.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Hello Jason, my company is very much like the one you've purchased. All tole been in the industry for 30 years. About four years ago we got into carpet cleaning with a truck mount. If I could offer a piece of advice from having been where you are it would be to go get training. Before you even query about equipment you need formal training. All the best equipment in the world won't matter with out it. I wasn't new to carpet cleaning but didn't realize how little I really knew. Now four years later I do know how little I know lol! But am far better than I was. Besides fiber IDing there's a hell of a lot of chemistry to know. It's cheap now to get education replacing carpet cost far more. I hope for the best for you good luck with all your business!!!

Reactions: ratfool and admin

Jason-1CC

May 8, 2017
Real Name
Jason Shirey
Hello Jason, my company is very much like the one you've purchased. All tole been in the industry for 30 years. About four years ago we got into carpet cleaning with a truck mount. If I could offer a piece of advice from having been where you are it would be to go get training. Before you even query about equipment you need formal training. All the best equipment in the world won't matter with out it. I wasn't new to carpet cleaning but didn't realize how little I really knew. Now four years later I do know how little I know lol! But am far better than I was. Besides fiber IDing there's a hell of a lot of chemistry to know. It's cheap now to get education replacing carpet cost far more. I hope for the best for you good luck with all your business!!!
Thank you for the advice! I have looked into a training session that is within driving distance. I haven't found anything local living in Arkansas. Is there a particular company you recommend for training? I'm willing to invest in training even if it requires flying somewhere for a week. It's a minor investment to learn the best practices for the best applications. :)

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I myself took the iicrc courses. But my advice would be not to bother with them. Although they cover some information they lac a lot. From everything I've read and seen the truck mount certification would be far better. I'm very impartial here but in seeing what is offered there is hands on. There's no replacing putting a wand in someone's hands. Other courses never go to that extent. Truck mount courses are run by people that actually go out to the field and are "real world guys" they can explain some of the issues you'll not see in just a class room course. Pvt Rob Allen and he'll better explain. I've meet rob he seems like the kind of guy you'd want to learn from. My 2 cents anyway.

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
Welcome. there are alot of truckmounts and option you. You could spend 4300 on an electric truck mount up to $20,000 or more .

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
You could get a mytee electric truck mount. An amtex truckmount seem pretty nice especially the prolwer. I have a panther truckmount. Or you could go all out and get a rage or another safire science or whatever you call them. There is this guy in colorado relia truckmounts he has pretty good prices not sure quality. starting at like 5500$ without hoses. If you get a gas powered truck mount plan on having to do more maitanance. But my mytee worked good for 7 years and i still use it all the time for upholstery and car carpets love that thing. I would honestly say that my mytee portable i spent 1500$ has made me $150,000. And it is still works great on upholstery. But my truckmount is so much better and faster i would hate to us my portable on a house carpet.

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
Please put amtex into search function of this forum and have a good read before recommending any brand of truckmount....
Oh i have i was just trying to name some off the top of my head i am truly sorry.

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
You could get a mytee electric truck mount. I have a panther truckmount. Or you could go all out and get a rage or another safire science or whatever you call them. There is this guy in colorado relia truckmounts he has pretty good prices not sure quality. starting at like 5500$ without hoses. If you get a gas powered truck mount plan on having to do more maitanance. But my mytee worked good for 7 years and i still use it all the time for upholstery and car carpets love that thing. I would honestly say that my mytee portable i spent 1500$ has made me $150,000. And it is still works great on upholstery. But my truckmount is so much better and faster i would hate to us my portable on a house carpet.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Welcome to TMF, Jason.

I agree that education is important, both the hands-on kind and the classroom kind. If you know the science behind cleaning, you can generally figure out how to resolve a situation that you have not come across before.

IICRC classes are designed to not push specific products or brands. I think that is important basic foundation. Here is a link to the classes our company offers around the country - http://www.cvent.com/Events/Calendar/Calendar.aspx?cal=ab53c6cb-fee0-44a6-a384-c51a2a4b32c0

Change can be hard to handle when it comes all at once. The organization I work for is one of several that would love to sell you a truckmount. But I suggest you get familiar with running the business you have before you jump into more change. Maybe leave the truckmount until next year.

Truckmount costs will be from about $8000 for an entry level machine with the basics to $25,000 for a bigger machine with bells and whistles and even close to $50,000 for some super machines.

Trailering is an option for some companies. Think about your city or community and the type of jobs you will be doing. Getting a trailer into some areas can be difficult. Also consider if the trailer will need to be insulated or heated to keep your equipment from freezing.

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor
Welcome to TMF, Jason.

I agree that education is important, both the hands-on kind and the classroom kind. If you know the science behind cleaning, you can generally figure out how to resolve a situation that you have not come across before.

IICRC classes are designed to not push specific products or brands. I think that is important basic foundation. Here is a link to the classes our company offers around the country - http://www.cvent.com/Events/Calendar/Calendar.aspx?cal=ab53c6cb-fee0-44a6-a384-c51a2a4b32c0

Change can be hard to handle when it comes all at once. The organization I work for is one of several that would love to sell you a truckmount. But I suggest you get familiar with running the business you have before you jump into more change. Maybe leave the truckmount until next year.

Truckmount costs will be from about $8000 for an entry level machine with the basics to $25,000 for a bigger machine with bells and whistles and even close to $50,000 for some super machines.

Trailering is an option for some companies. Think about your city or community and the type of jobs you will be doing. Getting a trailer into some areas can be difficult. Also consider if the trailer will need to be insulated or heated to keep your equipment from freezing.
I use an enclosed trailer in utah and it seems to work. I put a blanket over my machine in the winter with the heater blowing into it safely of course. I was at interlink salt lake today. Great customer service Brandon is the best.

Reactions: Scott W