new member introducing myself

Bret

Aug 2, 2017
Real Name
Bret Stevens
Hello all, my name is Bret and have been cleaning carpet for ~10 years. Three different companies, none of which I owned. I still work for someone else. I started at Stanley steemer, lol, and then two mom and pop type companies. I've been with the current one off and on for 8 years. He does questionable work, and charges a bit high in some situations. but has been in business for 23 years. Im just not sure I should be repeating some of his practices, so I came on here to learn from others in possible preparation for starting up my own business. El diablos rock! btw and sorry if I did this wrong. the posting thing. Sorry

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Welcome to TMF.

I was a lot like you several years ago. I worked for a company for 17 years that I now see cleaned with technology from the dark ages. I started my own business 6 years ago and have learned more in the last 6 years than I did in the 17 years prior to that. A lot of what I've learned has been from the guys here on TMF.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have. Lots of guys here are willing to help.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Your initiative to come on here and learn speaks volumes. Learning the basics about all the fibers that we see as cleaners and the appropriate chemicals to clean those fibers... Is everything!

I love being a grown ass man that can get paid a hundred plus dollars an hour to do laundry bolted to the floor! What a great job we have!

Reactions: Suction Junkie

Bret

Aug 2, 2017
Real Name
Bret Stevens
Thats what I thought. I know there is a lot more to this than the way I have learned to do it. First at Stanley and then at current employer, both go with the "one size fits all" i.e. 1 chemical cleans all. Same prespray for every type of carpet, furniture, etc. So when you all talk about burn tests and specific fabrics, I know what you are talking about, but have no experience determining those factors. Other than wool of course, only by the smell. So while I like to think I know what Im doing, I have 10+years experience, the reality is I still have a lot of learning to do. Good news is I have a decent foundation, experience is everything. And I get paid hundreds of dollars per hour at my other job, not the carpet gig. I wish lol. And knock on wood, I've never ruined anything.

Bret

Aug 2, 2017
Real Name
Bret Stevens
But honestly I feel bad where I am at currently. I dont like being a part of my bosses scam. Or to word differently, being a party to doing a mediocre job. And just being associated with my boss. He's a unique individual. Still in business, after 23 years, but I dont see how. Other than him being a used car salesman, all talk no walk. But it works for him. Im not a people person, I dont like talking to people, I like to work. So I will need a different approach if I decide to start my own, and I think being more knowledgeable and using the correct chemical for certain things and the like will benefit me in the long run. At least I hope so.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Thats what I thought. I know there is a lot more to this than the way I have learned to do it. First at Stanley and then at current employer, both go with the "one size fits all" i.e. 1 chemical cleans all. Same prespray for every type of carpet, furniture, etc. So when you all talk about burn tests and specific fabrics, I know what you are talking about, but have no experience determining those factors. Other than wool of course, only by the smell. So while I like to think I know what Im doing, I have 10+years experience, the reality is I still have a lot of learning to do. Good news is I have a decent foundation, experience is everything. And I get paid hundreds of dollars per hour at my other job, not the carpet gig. I wish lol. And knock on wood, I've never ruined anything.
I can't tell you how much I understand. You just described me exactly as I was 6 years ago.

I started cleaning carpet 23 years ago. After I had been cleaning for a couple years I thought I was one of the best out there. After I had been cleaning for 5 years I thought I knew everything. At 17 years I thought I had done it all.

Then I quit and started my own company and realized just how little I knew. I now realize this is a never ending learning process. I love this business.

I can tell you will be one that will do good in the business too. I wish you the best of luck and hope we can help you along the way.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Hello all, my name is Bret and have been cleaning carpet for ~10 years. Three different companies, none of which I owned. I still work for someone else. I started at Stanley steemer, lol, and then two mom and pop type companies. I've been with the current one off and on for 8 years. He does questionable work, and charges a bit high in some situations. but has been in business for 23 years. Im just not sure I should be repeating some of his practices, so I came on here to learn from others in possible preparation for starting up my own business. El diablos rock! btw and sorry if I did this wrong. the posting thing. Sorry
Welcome Bret. Sounds like you have more experience under your belt than I had when I started back in 87. :) Thing is, that was NOT a good thing! If you do go out on your own, and it sounds like you're headed that direction, get all the training you can. It's a whole different ball game when you're responsible for everything. Sounds like your boss has been lucky if he's using the same chem on everything. Good thing most fabrics are a lot more resilient than we give em credit for, but when it's your reputation on the line it's better to KNOW what you're doing than to HOPE you know what you're doing. There's plenty available today as to resources and training that could be very valuable to someone starting up. When a customer calls a professional cleaner and they are actually willing to pay a fair amount of money for our services they deserve what we claim to provide. PROFESSIONAL cleaning of their carpets, upholstery, or whatever else that we CLAIM we clean. Sounds like you want to offer a better, more professional, service.

Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
Real Name
Jeff T.
I gotta ask, what's his 'one size fits all' chem? I've got a local company the makes his own shyte. Last week, in one day, 3 out of 4 customers had a bad experience with him...... I love idiots like that..... cause when I show up, my way of cleaning and my system wows them that much more.... life's in the details.....(so is the money)......

Reactions: rob allen

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Staff member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
Welcome Bret!

I hope you learn tons from this fine group of women and men...

~Tiffany

Bret

Aug 2, 2017
Real Name
Bret Stevens
I gotta ask, what's his 'one size fits all' chem? I've got a local company the makes his own shyte. Last week, in one day, 3 out of 4 customers had a bad experience with him...... I love idiots like that..... cause when I show up, my way of cleaning and my system wows them that much more.... life's in the details.....(so is the money)......
Powerzyme by cleansmart. It works pretty good, I have to admit. On carpet anyway.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Greetings Bret! I admire your determination to do the job right even if it means taking some risk and venturing out on your own. When you get into business for yourself. Let me know. Tell me what equipment you have and what market you are targeting for business. I will send you a nice care package.

The forums have some great information. The problem can be that good information is mixed in with some truly wrong-headed comments that will get you in trouble. There is also no opportunity to see how some procedure is done. A short typed out description does not always replace someone showing you how to do a task.

I suggest you get to an IICRC carpet cleaning class for some hands-on demos and some book learning. That education will provide you the foundation to sort the pepper from the rat turds.

Here is a link to an education schedule. You can filter by the area you are in or by the topic such as IICRC CARPET CLEANING TECHNICIAN.
http://www.cvent.com/Events/Calendar/Calendar.aspx?cal=ab53c6cb-fee0-44a6-a384-c51a2a4b32c0

Bret

Aug 2, 2017
Real Name
Bret Stevens
Greetings Bret! I admire your determination to do the job right even if it means taking some risk and venturing out on your own. When you get into business for yourself. Let me know. Tell me what equipment you have and what market you are targeting for business. I will send you a nice care package.

The forums have some great information. The problem can be that good information is mixed in with some truly wrong-headed comments that will get you in trouble. There is also no opportunity to see how some procedure is done. A short typed out description does not always replace someone showing you how to do a task.

I suggest you get to an IICRC carpet cleaning class for some hands-on demos and some book learning. That education will provide you the foundation to sort the pepper from the rat turds.

Here is a link to an education schedule. You can filter by the area you are in or by the topic such as IICRC CARPET CLEANING TECHNICIAN.
http://www.cvent.com/Events/Calendar/Calendar.aspx?cal=ab53c6cb-fee0-44a6-a384-c51a2a4b32c0
Since I have no certification, I can realistically say that I could be a purveyor of such "wrong headed comments". Just saying with total honesty. No point in lying on here. Thank you.

Never got around to it. The cert.