wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I have to say, although I'm unsure I'll ever buy another truck mount, I am impressed by some of the changes Hydramaster has made to their line both aesthetically and functionally. If I did have to buy another truck mount before I retire this could make me repent on some of the things I've said. I still think small engines may be too problematic for heat exchange truck mounts and the engine for me has been the primary source of downtime and repairs on my Boxxer 421 by a very large margin. The extremely high ambient temperatures these machines are exposed to just isn't a good thing for small engines. Most other components with the major exception of the chemical injection system have been pretty rock solid which has been anything but reliable.

I noticed several improvements to the 425 which is very similar in class to the 421 and 423 that are most definitely in the right direction IMHO. The diverter and engine exhaust being put on the left side of the machine away from the front of the van is one of them. The oil cooler hoses are better attached to make changing the oil filter a bit easier too. The more open design of the machine for maintenance is also way better than my 421. In short, I would at least consider buying one of these machines. They did a superb job in redesigning this edition of their truck mounts. My hat is off to them on this one.

I would only add one word of advice to Hydramaster. That chemical injector would do better with a shut off valve on it so it wouldn't take such a beating at higher pressures. I think this should be standard on ALL machines with these injectors on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luky

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I don't know enough about mechanics to comment but every truck mount I've used with a Briggs and Stratton engine seemed to have tons of problrms.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I don't know enough about mechanics to comment but every truck mount I've used with a Briggs and Stratton engine seemed to have tons of problrms.
An air-cooled engine in an enclosed space can get extremely hot. Too hot to be good for the engine. I don't know just how hot one of these things gets inside a van, but I know it can't be good for them. I try to leave my doors or windows open as much as I can especially when the weather permits. It may not be as much of a problem with machines that don't have all the extra stuff on them to heat the water. At least, that's how I see it. I could be wrong. I do know that the ambient temperatures can affect the oil and even synthetic oils have an upper limit of temperature from what I understand. Really, it's amazing they do as well as they do.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Ive had a lot of TMs over the years but after we got our first liquid cooled TM (Performer) we never looked back. Those Nissan engines were rock solid. Then went to Kubota. Never had an issue.

Just got a Titan 575 last spring and it has performed flawlessly. I have taken readings inside the van with all doors wide open. Tuesday was 85 degrees with high humidity and temps in the van got to 146. Wednesday, Thursday and today it cooled off to 50s and temps are at 115.

Reactions: wandwizard

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Ive had a lot of TMs over the years but after we got our first liquid cooled TM (Performer) we never looked back. Those Nissan engines were rock solid. Then went to Kubota. Never had an issue.

Just got a Titan 575 last spring and it has performed flawlessly. I have taken readings inside the van with all doors wide open. Tuesday was 85 degrees with high humidity and temps in the van got to 146. Wednesday, Thursday and today it cooled off to 50s and temps are at 115.
I can only imagine just how hot it gets inside an air-cooled engine. Those fans on the engine just don't seem adequate to really cool the engine well enough under the high heat inside a van. I wonder just how hot they're getting and what temp the oil get up to?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
its easy to find out. Just put a thermometer in the van.

I got one with a sponge cup that attaches to a window and put it on top of the machine. just look at it at the end of a job when its at its peak.

remember, i took those temps with every door open.

Reactions: wandwizard

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
FWIW, I have more years running a slide in while simultaneously running a PTO and hands down have cussed, wrenched and replaced more parts on the slide in.

They still don't have it figured out...
Honestly, I really wanted to buy a slide in when I bought my 421and was really considering it. That little pesky requirement by Hydramaster to also buy a new van with it pretty much put that out of the question for me. Back then a new slide in was just a little over 20 grand I think. I don't know what they are today. Also, it was far more difficult back then to even find a used one, especially one in decent condition. It's about 1,000 times easier today if you're willing to go across the country to get it! :)

Reactions: Jim Davisson

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
One word. Butler
Butler definitely has a great reputation for reliability. I wonder how many places in the country actually do service for them though if you do have a problem? I don't think there is any in Missouri that I know about anyway. Do they only have one location in the entire United States? I've never once heard of any other places to service their units.