New guy needs help please.... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

New guy needs help please....

fantastic floors

Mar 27, 2013
Real Name
tom rebraca
Hello,
New to the business, trying to start up part time and hopfully make it full time, but have been reading on forum for about a month now and here is my first story.

Bought a Master Blend Masterforce 1200 psi portable with no heat so i can do both carpets and tile.

Tried to clean my first room yesterday at home, bedroom that hasn't been cleaned in a while, has a definate dirty traffic area and some stains not sure exactly what they are from.
Here is what i did:
1. Prespray (Steambrite kryptonite) with hydroforce injection sprayer the entire room.
2. Preaggitate with rake and also used a small "brush pro" type unit that is used for dry cleaning.
3. HWE (hot water from faucet no heater) using a wand.
4. In my opinion, results were terrible, the traffic areas didn't come clean at all and the spots didn't budge.
5. Tried another prespray powder (Steambrite Powerhouse) mixed and applied same process.
6. HWE again, not much better.
7. By this time carpet is soaked - put fan down and ran for some time - still this morning carpet is damp. Definately overwet.
8. Portable has 1 - 2stage and 1 - 3stage vac motors - suction with hand over 25' hose end appears good, but then when i checked at bottom of wand it was hardly anything.

Very disappointing first time try. I was expecting to put down prespray aggitate then HWE and at least the traffic lanes come clean. I thought i would have to work on the spots with something else. They have been there for a couple years so don't know if they are set in or not. When i used a spotter for ink they did lighten up but didn't come out all the way.

Have a few pics. Not sure what kind of carpet it is, about 15 years old, i am guessing nylon but not sure.

And with all that being said any guidance would be greatly appreciated. My thought is i should try a different prespray, actually have some Matrix Grand Slam on the way and was going to also try TMF preload.

Thanks everyone for any assitance you can provide. :)

Tom

Attachments

• carpet 1.jpg
    carpet 1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,210
  • carpet 2.jpg
    carpet 2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,205
  • carpet 3.jpg
    carpet 3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,183
  • carpet 4.jpg
    carpet 4.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,202

mahlonzehr

Oct 30, 2009
Walla Walla, WA
www.beautifulcarpetsandfloors.com
Real Name
Mahlon Zehr
Business Location
United States
That carpet is in pretty rough shape to begin with. Hard to tell from the pics but there is a good chance that traffic lane is "shading" or a permanent wear pattern.

Get a Fels Naptha bar, rub an X on the middle of it and extract it thoroughly. If you can't see it than you have a permanent wear pattern.

If you can see the X than rub down the whole traffic lane and extract again.

As far as being over wet, did you use dry strokes? Did you check the wand for obstructions? Both will make a big difference.

However, if you cleaned in the evening, depending on the humidity and the airflow in the room, its not unheard of to be still a little do on the morning. Not ideal but possible. Especially if you presprayed heavily and extracted twice.

No idea what the stains are but looked like it could be coffee or some kind of spill. Try the fels naptha on it. If that doesn't work try an oxidizer like Stain Magic or just get some 40 volume peroxide from Sally's and mix 50/50 with ammonia. Spray it on and let dwell until it the stain is gone.

Might need a red stain remover if its a red dye stain.

Good luck!

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
If it's not too late then get out of this business and find something easier to do.

If it is too late and you need to make it work then try some of nahlonzehr ideas about the X in the carpet. I'm not sure why you'd use a rake and a CRB machine but in either case if it didn't come clean you must find out if it's wear or stained or both. The Fels X (I thought I was the only one doing that) will tell you if it will come cleaner. If the X comes clean every time you do it you it you definately need a better prespray. Good luck.

fantastic floors

Mar 27, 2013
Real Name
tom rebraca
Thanks for both your replies and ideas, i will try the fels. I did use dry strokes but like i said the suction seemed weak to me. All new equipment including wand so i am pretty sure no obstructions, good suction at vac hose end but not at end of wand, i will check again. Any special way to check a wand for obstructions or just try to shine a light down the tube and look? The reason i raked and used CRB machine was to aggitate the prespray into the carpet like alot of people said on this forum helps. Not too late to quit - like i said starting part time - but if every job has results like this one holy cow i will die! Maybe just specialize in tile. :)

Reactions: GaryK57

fantastic floors

Mar 27, 2013
Real Name
tom rebraca
Since your portable as a high psi pump, make sure you didn't have it set too high or it will over wet your carpets. I would probably use about 300.

Thanks Will - I had it set to 500 to begin, then i cranked her up a bit thinking that would help, the second time i went over the carpet i was probably around 600. Not good..... I will back off next time to 300. Thanks.

Floor Tek

Apr 10, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Ryan Timmerman
Business Location
United States
Something you definitely need is more heat. Hotter water works much better and the 120-140 out of the sink isn't enough. Since your machine doesn't have a heater, buy a submersible heater and heat water in 5 gallon buckets before pouring into your machine. You really want to be cleaning with water that is at least 180-200.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using TMF mobile app.

Reactions: GaryK57

mahlonzehr

Oct 30, 2009
Walla Walla, WA
www.beautifulcarpetsandfloors.com
Real Name
Mahlon Zehr
Business Location
United States
If it's not too late then get out of this business and find something easier to do.

If it is too late and you need to make it work then try some of nahlonzehr ideas about the X in the carpet. I'm not sure why you'd use a rake and a CRB machine but in either case if it didn't come clean you must find out if it's wear or stained or both. The Fels X (I thought I was the only one doing that) will tell you if it will come cleaner. If the X comes clean every time you do it you it you definately need a better prespray. Good luck.

I got the X idea from somebody on here, must have been you. Although I had been doing test patches with the Fels before, the X really creates a clearly visible contrast. Great tip.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I agree that heat would be a good help. You can get a bucket heater that will heat 5 gallon bucket at a time. Slow, but will improve the cleaning.

Proper agitation with a Brush Pro or carpet groomer does help. I think the question above may have been 'Why did you use both?' If the proper brushes were used only one method of agitation should have been required.

You did not mention dwell time. Did you allow the prespray 10 minutes or so to work before you started to rinse?

Did you use a rinse agent?

I should also tell you to try one of our Bridgepoint presprays. Flex with Citrus Solv for heavily soiled carpets and commercial carpet, Zone Perfect for moderately soiled residential carpet.

The lighting makes it hard to tell how the cleaning turned out. Some of the problem is probably wear rather than soil. I just dampen my white spotting towel with prespray and wipe the carpet. If the towel comes up soiled, there is still plenty of dirt to remove.

Starting part-time is a good plan. You can learn for a while and see if this suits you as a business you would like to go into. You can also get some training on fibers and methods and learn to have the best process for each situation.

fantastic floors

Mar 27, 2013
Real Name
tom rebraca
Everyone thanks for the information, appreciate it.
Attached are pictures of rinse i used and a towel i put some prespray on and whiped in the doorway where it is still dark.
When i just got home carpet does look better, still not as good as i would like it, but i think now that its drying a bit it is looking better.
Still alot of dirt in carpet i think as evidence by rag test so i don't think prespray worked that well.
I will try the fels Napthia on some of the spots and the traffic area and see how that turns out.
Thanks all.

Attachments

• Rinse.jpg
    Rinse.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 931
  • whipe.jpg
    whipe.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 939

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
I agree with Will on this one. In fact I would use both a immersion heater to preheat the
water + rinsing agent up to at least 100 degrees and then run that through the inline heater.
This should get your cleaning solution up to 130 or so which will make a big difference over
cold water + rinsing agent. The immersion heaters are cheap to buy and the inline heater
might be around $350.00 or so. Of course on other jobs you will normally have warm water
available and wont need to preheat it. 300 psi is a good carpet cleaning pressure for any
carpet extractor. If your wand is a single jet I would use a 03 or 04. Dual jet 015 or 02.
Of course this will slow down the flow which will enable your inline heater to get the tempature
up higher.
Scott made a good point about the amount of rinsing solution. Too much and it leave way too
much chemical residue. 1/4 ounce/gal. or 2 ounces to 5 gal. is the usual dilution for most of
higher quality rinsing agents. This is especially important if as you indicated you are using
a Hydroforce inline sprayer. The prespray prepares the carpet for effective extraction and
the rinsing agent prevents the chemicals and soil from falling out of dillution. With portables
using a rinsing agent is helpful in most cases.

I hope things work out. Most of us made a lot of mistakes when first starting out in this
business. This is usually a good place to come and get advice. Some may be discouraging
but most will want to help you succeed.

Jan Sullins
American Kleen Pro

Reactions: Troyster

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
i don't have an inline heater in my porty instead opting for the dual 3 stage vac motors but have never had a problem gettting anything out but what the other guys with truck mounts can't get out (not true i got lots of stains out they couldn't) I use a prespray of BridgePoint products: Flex Heavy Duty Traffic Lane Cleaner, Boost All & Avenge spotter. I use CleanXtraction through the solution water and never had any problems. i set psi between 300 -350. I'm not familiar with the SteamBrite products but have nothing bad too say about the Bridgepoint products.
image_1348116658550273.jpg

fantastic floors

Mar 27, 2013
Real Name
tom rebraca
Everyone thanks for the good feedback, i was under the assumption using the "cleaning pie" that if you didn't have as much heat you compensate with the other variables. I am using hot tap water which i know isn't as hot as everyone agrees works best, but i should still be able to get the carpets cleaner then it came out. I am convinced the prespray isn't that good and i will try some bridgeport. The rinse that i used does call for 1oz. per gallon, in fact i had to change out the stock .5oz. metering tip that came installed in the porty and put the 1oz. size in. Everyone seems to agree this sounds high so maybe if i use a better grade rinse i can knock down the amount back to at least .5oz. The less chemicals in the carpet the better as far as i am concerned. :)

Reactions: Jan Sullins

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
I just use tap water myself and as you can see by my attachment (average carpet i clean / cleaned waaay worse) that desired results can be acheived. just like washing clothes in cold water produces same results as hot water the key is the power of the cleaning products and using the right combinations for each cleaning job. i cleaned this carpet after the guy went over it with a rug doctor.:) I have a Mytee Hot Turbo heater sitting in the corner gathering dust. after continually blowing out circuits i got fed up and parked it!!