New guy here (again) - I decided to go portable, not with a Bissell!!

Mar 6, 2017
Real Name
Michael Gaskill
So after that blanket party on my other thread, I decided to listen to the pros and completely through the Bissell Big Green idea out the window.

Begin Round 2 -

Here's what I want to do (this shouldn't be dependant on the equipment I use) with my new carpet cleaning add on / service.

I want to offer a FULL service with pricing based off each room, stairs, hallway, and rugs (upholstery down the road). With my house cleaning/maid business I have, I hardly have any upsells. I charge a lot but a lot is included. I know its a different approach but I have seen it work over the last 2 years. I want to follow this business method with carpet cleaning. Just offer a full service/experience with little upsells. Say I charge $30 a room, I want to do as much as I can to the carpet as possible. Pre treatment, shampoo, rinse, protection, stain blocker, everything and anything, just all included. Also, I want to start this with a portable unit that will cost me between under $3,000.

My Questions -

What all could/should I do if I offered a full service like this? What would be the procedure or process I could follow in each home to offer this? Is that even possible? The homes are target are lived in, typically middle to high end customers. I should not run into too many party houses or crazy situations.

What is a good portable to purchase? Or good brand name?

What is a good line of products I could use? Website link or brand name?

Your best stain fighter?

Any other input?

I know this probably comes off as I am lazy as shit and do not want to do my own research but thats not the case. I am doing the research now and this. Truth is, I have my house cleaning business but still working the day job. I am hoping to quit the day job and dive into this carpet cleaning full time. The house cleaning is almost self running and I do not need to put much time into it at all, leaving all day open for carpet cleaning.

Reactions: Robert Woodson

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
If you wanna clean carpets do it the right way. Very hard to get into for under $3k ( the right way). I would get your equip budget for porty up to $5k so you can get a unit that heats, will push a decent psi and you can get the needed day to day equip: hose, chemicals, back up equip, grandi rake, spotter kits, deodorizers, shoe covers.

Sent from my SM-G930P using TMF Forums mobile app

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
If you wanna clean carpets do it the right way. Very hard to get into for under $3k ( the right way). I would get your equip budget for porty up to $5k so you can get a unit that heats, will push a decent psi and you can get the needed day to day equip: hose, chemicals, back up equip, grandi rake, spotter kits, deodorizers, shoe covers.

I would say he needs to up the budget because if you buy cheap on equipment youll be doing a cheap job with crap resultz

Reactions: mikevee
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
So after that blanket party on my other thread, I decided to listen to the pros and completely through the Bissell Big Green idea out the window.

Begin Round 2 -

Here's what I want to do (this shouldn't be dependant on the equipment I use) with my new carpet cleaning add on / service.

I want to offer a FULL service with pricing based off each room, stairs, hallway, and rugs (upholstery down the road). With my house cleaning/maid business I have, I hardly have any upsells. I charge a lot but a lot is included. I know its a different approach but I have seen it work over the last 2 years. I want to follow this business method with carpet cleaning. Just offer a full service/experience with little upsells. Say I charge $30 a room, I want to do as much as I can to the carpet as possible. Pre treatment, shampoo, rinse, protection, stain blocker, everything and anything, just all included. Also, I want to start this with a portable unit that will cost me between under $3,000.

My Questions -

What all could/should I do if I offered a full service like this? What would be the procedure or process I could follow in each home to offer this? Is that even possible? The homes are target are lived in, typically middle to high end customers. I should not run into too many party houses or crazy situations.

Your best stain fighter?

Any other input?

I know this probably comes off as I am lazy as shit and do not want to do my own research but thats not the case. I am doing the research now and this. Truth is, I have my house cleaning business but still working the day job. I am hoping to quit the day job and dive into this carpet cleaning full time. The house cleaning is almost self running and I do not need to put much time into it at all, leaving all day open for carpet cleaning.

Congrats on ditching the Bissel idea, one day you will look back and realize how crazy that sounded.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States

Begin Round 2 -

My Questions -

Your best stain fighter?

Any other input?

Quite easy solution. See @F.O.R Cleaning .He needs to unload his cleaning equipment. No comparison to Bissel...

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
With a rug doctor but I know that doesnt count.

Or Does it?

All of these are rated GOLD, SILVER and BRONZE by the CRI. So that means that they are "Professional" and will clean as a "Professional" machine should right? Right!

http://www.carpet-rug.org/certified-deep-cleaning-extractors.html

So now I ask these questions:

1)- Do you trust the CRI findings?
2)- Do you trust any of these machines to clean carpets successfully?
3)- Is the any level higher than Gold?

Well, there is. And the CRI names it Platinum. That's pretty good, right? Right!

So click here and read on.....

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...rn-consumer-industry-accolades-111594874.html

Now, I know what many of you are going to tell me and trust me, I can handle it. And believe me I am NOT telling him, or anyone else to go out and buy a Rug Doctor to start a business.
But still consider this.......

What do extractors do? As Ed Valentine says, they "Squirt and Suck". And he is correct. That's all they do. The only real difference between our "Professional" extractors is they're bigger, more powerful and more professional looking. But that's it! Like the Rug Doctor, they squirt and suck. Some suck more than others. They still break down and probably more often than a Rug Doctor does. (Think rental market and the abuse from that market)

So to conclude what I am telling you BME is if you did clean carpets with a Rug Doctor then that indeed DOES count. (y)

And for all of the nay sayers out there, consider what the general public thinks about the Rug Doctor.
Most of our former customers bought one because they were fed up with hiring us professionals and getting lousy results. 89% give it a 4 and 5 star rating.

https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...eviewerType=avp_only_reviews&showViewpoints=0

I don't know about the rest of you, but to me that is something to think about.

Reactions: RafaelDavid

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
Or Does it?

All of these are rated GOLD, SILVER and BRONZE by the CRI. So that means that they are "Professional" and will clean as a "Professional" machine should right? Right!

http://www.carpet-rug.org/certified-deep-cleaning-extractors.html

So now I ask these questions:

1)- Do you trust the CRI findings?
2)- Do you trust any of these machines to clean carpets successfully?
3)- Is the any level higher than Gold?

Well, there is. And the CRI names it Platinum. That's pretty good, right? Right!

So click here and read on.....

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...rn-consumer-industry-accolades-111594874.html

Now, I know what many of you are going to tell me and trust me, I can handle it. And believe me I am NOT telling him, or anyone else to go out and buy a Rug Doctor to start a business.
But still consider this.......

What do extractors do? As Ed Valentine says, they "Squirt and Suck". And he is correct. That's all they do. The only real difference between our "Professional" extractors is they're bigger, more powerful and more professional looking. But that's it! Like the Rug Doctor, they squirt and suck. Some suck more than others. They still break down and probably more often than a Rug Doctor does. (Think rental market and the abuse from that market)

So to conclude what I am telling you BME is if you did clean carpets with a Rug Doctor then that indeed DOES count. (y)

And for all of the nay sayers out there, consider what the general public thinks about the Rug Doctor.
Most of our former customers bought one because they were fed up with hiring us professionals and getting lousy results. 89% give it a 4 and 5 star rating.

https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...eviewerType=avp_only_reviews&showViewpoints=0

I don't know about the rest of you, but to me that is something to think about.
When you show up with a rug doctor you are telling a customer. " you can get the sam results doing this yourself with a rental". If your gonna use s self contained pull behind machine go with something like a nobles speed-ex. It looks more professional and will provide better results.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
When you show up with a rug doctor you are telling a customer. " you can get the sam results doing this yourself with a rental". If your gonna use s self contained pull behind machine go with something like a nobles speed-ex. It looks more professional and will provide better results.

I agree 95%.
Again, I hope people who read my post understand that I am not advocating starting a business with a Rug Doctor. I was merely making a point regarding perception along with responding to his comment when he convinced himself that it "Didn't Count" when he cleaned a carpet with a Rug Doctor. (y)

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Oh.....The 5% that I don't agree with you on.....Getting better results with the Noble SpeedX. According to the CRI you will NOT get better results using that over a Rug Doctor. If you did then they would have awarded it the Platinum like the Rug Doctor. They didn't. They awarded it Silver.

I'm just the messenger.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
It sounds like you would really benefit from a ride a long Michael.
Find an owner operator outside your service area ( not competing and runs a porty) and tag along for 6-8 jobs minimum. This can be beneficial if you find an guy who is focused on quality not quantity and low prices.
Cleaning products--- can't go wrong with Bridgepoint/Chemspec/TMF /Prochem.
You can also use the search option on the forum here to research as everything you are asking has been asked no less than a thousand times.
Sounds like you want to do top quality and offer "The Works" on the carpet cleaning. I would suggest charging by the sq ft and starting at minimum .30 cents per and go up from there. Sounds like you can get the work.... just don't know how to perform job properly. Alot more to carpet cleaning than just throwing a bucket of water with some suds into machine then squirt and suck.
You mentioned you are a journeyman electrician and would like to step away from this and carpet clean ... still scratching my head on that one to be honest.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet