New enterprise: Steamers or extractors? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

New enterprise: Steamers or extractors?

Franko

Feb 21, 2019
Real Name
máté
Hi

I'm really interested in car detailing with steam vapor machines.
I would like to be an enterpreneur, to give a very efficient car detailing. I need tools but I dont want to spend a lot if it is unnecessary.

I currently work with a porty extractor with 100 psi and I use only water and a bit dishwashing liquid. It does a good job, but I think it is a bit inefficient, especially when the dirt is thick on the seats. This is why I think a good steamer and a bigger water pressure (200 psi) would speed the process up.

I see there are two kind of steamers: one that blows steam and uses vacuum and one that just blows steam.

Look at that video how fast steam agitates the dirt and it looks seat is clean but after using extractor it seems so much dirt remained in seat. But combining the two method it gives a really fast and effective result.

I was searching and I found that ChiefSteamer 100 and 125 are great tools, I can easily refill them without turning off, and seems very reliable but what about the waste?
It doesn't vacuum it so I need an expensive extractor to do it after steaming.

Maybe vacuum combined steamer machine do these two jobs (steaming and extracting) alone?

There are vacuum steamers and maybe they can do the two jobs alone?

What do you think? Steam is the future and a quality vacuum steamer can replace extractors and simple steamers?

Last edited:

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
This is the second time you've posted the same thing, just to hide a click-bait link. I suggest you stop before a moderator finds you.

Franko

Feb 21, 2019
Real Name
máté
This is the second time you've posted the same thing, just to hide a click-bait link. I suggest you stop before a moderator finds you.
I think you misunderstood this. Another user advised me to create a topic to get more answers!
I deleted the link not to be seemed click.bait..

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I think you misunderstood this. Another user advised me to create a topic to get more answers!
I deleted the link not to be seemed click.bait..
Fair enough. But the question was already answered in that same thread - to wit, hot water extraction with vacuum has a place in auto detailing, as does a true vapor steam machine. Neither one will be a do-it-all machine; each one fills in "gaps" in the cleaning process that the other will leave behind.

A vapor steamer will do well on hard or moisture-sensitive surfaces like dashboard, door trim, or headliner. A hot water extraction process will be better for deep "cushiony" surfaces like carpet and upholstery, where soils may be hidden beneath the surface (coffee spills, ice melt, etc).

In companies that only run one or the other type of unit, HWE units are far more common than vapor steamers. This may change as the technology becomes more affordable, but for now it's still usually cheaper to buy extraction equipment than vapor steamers.

Franko

Feb 21, 2019
Real Name
máté
I just dont know what kind of gap a vacuum steamer fills. It extracts water from carpet behaving like an extractor but it doesn't use sufficient water volume I think so it can't clean perfectly.
Prices: I see quality steamers around 1000$, but extractors starting from 2000.

And a question: after I cleaned it with extractor, is it a good way to use the steamer to dry the carpet within minutes?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Steamer won't dry the carpets any faster. An extractor has actual water volume allowing the dirt and soils to "flush" out.

Even when you watch the video, the guy explains he uses the steamer to BREAK UP the soils, not extract on a cushiony surface like Mama explained.