New CC Business... The Inevitable Dilemma starting out...

Discussion in 'Starting Your Business' started by Kevin Lietz, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Kevin Lietz

Kevin Lietz Active Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Revolution Cleaning
    Ogden, UT
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I know one of the hottest topics in the Carpet Cleaning industry is TM vs. Portable.. everyone has an opinion on the matter, and a strong one at that! Don't worry, This one ISN'T about that (well, sort of).

I am currently fine tuning my budget and business plan for a new venture here in the Northern Utah area. I will be focusing on trying to secure quite a few commercial accounts right out the gate, but will also be doing HWE residentials, as well as Tile and Grout, Auto Detailing, etc. etc. as the business grows and we get our name out there. That's the "gist" of my plan.

So here's the dilemma that I'm having. I'm sure a lot of new CC's experience the same thing. Budgeting wise, I am really having a difficult time justifying the costs... I know I will need a portie for larger jobs that require more hose that my truck can send. That seems to be a given. So if I acquire a used van(2005 ish) and a used TM (like a 4.8 CDS w/salsa package), and then drop another 3k (ish) on a mid size port (like say a Rotovac Ranger as an example). So we are sitting at about 20-23k before I even go into wands and everything else.

My "thought" is... for starting out... spend 5-7k on a used van (they are a dime a dozen in that range in the area), spend upwards of 4-7k on the biggest baddest portie I can find, and be done with it... for now. Then, I can get new wands, etc. etc., and spend the remaining budget I am shooting for (40k total) on things that will help the business grow faster and stronger (website design, a wrap for the van, advertising and marketing materials).

In addition, once the business grows enough (which it will!), I'll be able to afford a fantastic TM on a new van, and use the existing portable set-up for strictly commercial contracts and such.

SO... Here's my questions...

1. Thoughts? Is it a sane battle plan? Would you do it differently with the budget I am looking to hit?
    2. Thoughts on the best portie that will tackle any job (preferably tile and grout too if possible)

• Like Like x 1
  2. envy

envy Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Ratings:
    +559 / 3 / -0
    I never like to direct one way or another because our realities aren't the same. However, I had a tm and a portable and on the two or three calls a year that would require a portable, I usually told the client that we couldn't access their job.

For me it was a huge pain and it was easier to find other work somewhere else than to lug the portable around.

With a 40 K budget I'd be trying to find the cleanest, newest name brand set up I could for around 25-30 and save the rest for your marketing.

Sent from my iPad using TMF Forums

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Anderson

Anderson Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Belton Texas
    Ratings:
    +345 / 5 / -0
    Kevin
    When I started out 16 years ago I tried to get the biggest badest portable...I bought a ninja at that time for 2k.....this went on for about a year and almost went out of business.
    Then sunk another 3500 in a home made super portable with 3-4 cords.......this went on for about a year and almost went out of business.
    As I was looking to add a generator I decided to spend 5k on a brand new namco truckmount.. with hoses real tank and install taxes about 9k.....
    If I had it to do over again I would skip the portable........
    With a truckmount you can clean anything resturaunts apts., rentals..........tile.....
    Namco in houston still has their truckmount for 7k not bad ..good specs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Jose Holguin

Premium VIP

Oct 20, 2012
    Male
    Vail, CO
    Ratings:
    +9,512 / 42 / -0
    Don't see why you need the portable to get started. Newer van, newer tm and you're good. No one will install a cds in a 2005 van btw.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Kevin Lietz

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Revolution Cleaning
    Ogden, UT
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    If I had the money/financing to build out a new truck and TM, I would totally go for it! As far as the Portable is concerned, I'll be starting off with (hopefully) more commercial accounts and doing encap than residential. So the portable is a must with hotels, apartment complexes, businesses, etc.

I'm not wrong on that am i?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Anderson

Anderson Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Belton Texas
    Ratings:
    +345 / 5 / -0
    Portable sounds cheaper to start out but....
    I do all hotels(to 4th floor) apts. resturants, rentals. Commercial
    Everything accept high rises with truckmount.
    Just finished a hotel 3 floors..once you set up you can do each room in about 5-10 min...hose up to 300' length.
    I have even heard of guys doing high rise to 6 floors with a truckmount.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Jose Holguin

Premium VIP

Oct 20, 2012
    Male
    Vail, CO
    Ratings:
    +9,512 / 42 / -0
    Think you are Kevin, you can reach most commercial work with a medium size tm, in the rare instance that you can't, encap it.

Didn't say to go new btw, slightly used. Let somebody else pay the depreciation. Loan on a 2010-2012 van, cash on a $12k tm would be my plan. Sizable advertising budget for me to grow the business exponentially in the first couple of years.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Best in the West

Jan 2, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I have a great setup for sale! It's a 8x12 trailer package put together by The Masters Touch to tackle tile and grout, as well as carpet. It has a Hydramaster 423 TM with less than 500 hours on it, and all the tools to get started(including a Hoss 700 and high quality tile tools). It even comes with a Sandia Sniper 1200 port to get the places the TM can't( though it does need a new solution pump). Going this route would get you up and going with relatively fresh equipment for under 20K. Plus, you wouldn't have to be paying insurance and registration on another vehicle.

9. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP Top Poster of Month

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,228 / 82 / -0
    Personally I would get the best van and TM I could get either going new TM in a low mileage van or a as new as possible complete setup. As far as a portable I would set money off to the side and get one once it is needed. You may find out that you won't need it for awhile and the money is there for when it is needed or it could be used for other things if you really don't need it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Kevin Lietz

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Revolution Cleaning
    Ogden, UT
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Tempting, but unless I want to deal with the wrath of my wife, pulling a trailer with our Cadillac (our family car), I'll still have to get another vehicle.

I'll keep it in mind though!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Best in the West

Jan 2, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    agreed, any deal that involves a woman's wrath is so never worth it :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP Top Poster of Month

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,228 / 82 / -0
    Turn it into a win-win, buy a nice used pick-up truck and tell the wife it is her Cadillac and you will drive the truck :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +9,335 / 11 / -1
    I don't know your target market, but I suspect that the number of jobs that can not be done with a turckmount would be few. You may not need the portable.

If you do decide to good with a powerful portable, I would start with a Nautilus 1200 PSI that can be used on tile & grout, stone as well as carpet and upholstery. There are a couple of models to choose from. https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?search_val=Nautilus+1200

Stop by our location in Salt Lake (Murray) and try out some of the machines either portables or truckmounts or both. I'd be glad to talk in person if you are having trouble deciding.

When you do make your choice, portbale or truckmount, let me know what you got. I will set you up with a starter package of chemicals.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Kevin Lietz

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Revolution Cleaning
    Ogden, UT
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    No worries.. It IS her Caddy. I've been through one ugly divorce too many to argue who REALLY wears the pants in a good relationship :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I could always put a hitch on my Suzuki Swift. Might be good advertising! "Choose me to clean your carpets so I can afford a new truck" lol

15. Kevin Lietz

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Revolution Cleaning
    Ogden, UT
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Awesome Scott! I'll stop by next week :)

16. Best in the West

Jan 2, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    If it makes it any more tempting, I would throw in a nice little 4 wheel drive s10 with the off road package to pull it for $21,000 total :)

17. rob allen

rob allen Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Sep 5, 2007
    Male
    President
    Va.
    Ratings:
    +25,803 / 81 / -0
    Kevin we have a TMF school where we have every method and virtually every type machine available to test out. Might behoove you to go through our boot camp. It would save you lot headaches and unnecessary expensive purchases. You could also learn diverse services to make your business succeed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kevin Lietz

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Revolution Cleaning
    Ogden, UT
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Already in the budget!

Sent from my SM-G900P using TMF Forums mobile app

19. JojoFC

JojoFC Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Male
    Las vegas
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I also just gettin started into the business..simply put, just cant afford a TM. So what i'd suggest if you are getting portable and have 4k to spend is get a portable at around 3 grand, and spend another grand on a good inline vac booster. This booster will help you a lot..and i mean it..a lot. It will let you run a longer hose that will save your back ( try going up and down the stair with that porty 3 times a day ), especially if you're getting a 1200. I just got a mytee air hog 7303. Ran almost 100 ft of hose and got that carpet almost dry by the time i'm finished with the job, without moving my portable one bit. It was sitting at the front door the whole time.
    But...honestly..i'm still waiting and hoping that the day i get a TM will come sooner than later..
    Hope this helps..

20. rescaretech

rescaretech New Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would skip the portable. Focus on the van. If you really need something for commercial carpet I would consider a counter rotating brush (crb) machine.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

• Agree Agree x 1