new carpet cleaner questions!

1callcarpetcleaning

Feb 2, 2015
Real Name
travis vanover
I've got a few questions for carpet cleaners. Last year i started a carpet cleaning buisness not really knowing how to properly clean. the questions i have are if your not familiar with carpet type how do you know what prespray to use?can you get every carpet clean?will and should it still have a dingy look after cleaning?and if so how do you tell the customer their carpet isn't going to come all the way clean? Any help with this would be greatly apprecitated!

mendo83

May 21, 2012
El Monte, California
Real Name
Oscar Mendo
Business Location
United States
A good pre spray like flex with Citrus solve and boosted with citrus solve works on almost all the carpets in a home. I don't use flex but I this a gret product. You might have to try out different pre sprays before making one your favorite. What city are located in?

Pioneer Floorcare LLC

Dec 10, 2013
Palmer, Alaska
Real Name
Scott Turknett
Business Location
United States
A good pre spray like flex with Citrus solve and boosted with citrus solve works on almost all the carpets in a home. I don't use flex but I this a gret product. You might have to try out different pre sprays before making one your favorite. What city are located in?
I prefer biobreak in most residential homes with softer carpets. Flex is a higher ph.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
I'll take this one. In advance of telling you the answers to your particular questions I would mention the search field at the very top of this page. Just type in what you want to know about and leave the other fields blank, hit enter and you'll have reading for days.

how do you know what prespray to use?...
I use one for normal soil levels and one for bad/grungy ones. I don't have different presprays for different carpet types. BTW my normal soil level prespray is below a 9pH so I can use it on wool carpet and most upholstery.

can you get every carpet clean?...
Yes.

will and should it still have a dingy look after cleaning?...
Some do some don't.

and if so how do you tell the customer their carpet isn't going to come all the way clean?...
First off you need to set their expectations. If they have let the carpet get nasty and stay nasty then they need to be told prior to you getting started that this carpet is going to show some wear/stains. Here's how I do it. After the walk through and pricing is all done and I am about to go I say "we need to talk about what to expect." They say something along the lines of "how clean do you think it is going to come." Provided the carpet is the type and soil load that I think will respond to cleaning I say: "I think it will look much much better, I find the only people that are disappointed are expecting brand new." Now I say that with a bit of a tone and look that means are you one of them? Almost everybody says something like; oh no, I don't expect it to look new I just wand most if not all the spots and traffic lanes to look better. I say "piece of cake." The I step towards the door and say I will let myself in and out.

Now if I get a lady that complains about the TLs not looking better I tell them "it's a lot like the bottoms of your socks that you can't get clean and you get to bleach them. I know it's clean I just see the wear difference between the walked on part and the unwalked on part."

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Hey Travis, your question is so broad, you're gonna get some off the wall comments. Are you located to any local dealer that offers the basic carpet cleaning technician class? I strongly suggest that you take that class. It's not gonna answer every question you have, but it will educate you far enough to know where to find the answers to your questions, that you don't get answered in class.

Can you tell us where you're located, and maybe find someone near you who can take you out on a day's worth of work for the best type of education?

1callcarpetcleaning

Feb 2, 2015
Real Name
travis vanover
I would like to thank everyone for the help I apologize for the late reply. I'm located in south Vienna oh, theirs a cleanserve in Columbus about half an hour away I was kind of hesitant on asking other carpet cleaners if I could go out just for the simple fact of competition.

1callcarpetcleaning

Feb 2, 2015
Real Name
travis vanover
South Vienna ohio

Russell Bullock

Nov 11, 2016
Real Name
Russell Bullock jr
I'm in NC and going to start my own cc and air duct cleaning biz. What do you think of a business name as Bio-Steam? Main biz is cc. Bought a dc negative air machine with the truck mount.

Sent from my XT1585 using TMF Forums mobile app

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I've got a few questions for carpet cleaners. Last year i started a carpet cleaning buisness not really knowing how to properly clean. the questions i have are if your not familiar with carpet type how do you know what prespray to use?can you get every carpet clean?will and should it still have a dingy look after cleaning?and if so how do you tell the customer their carpet isn't going to come all the way clean? Any help with this would be greatly apprecitated!

Welcome to the industry! I serve a lot of new startups, with varying forms of equipment and levels of experience, and if you're open to a few suggestions:

1. Self-educate. Take classes, either IICRC or otherwise, to familiarize yourself with terminology, chemistry, and approaches specific to the jobs you're going to do. This improves not only your performance, but customer perception. The Carpet Buyers Handbook is a great website for all sorts of data about carpets, their construction, and fiber types. Go to the local dump and grab some nasty remnants to work on, pull a cushion or two off of abandoned couches before trash day, get yourself into seemingly impossible cleaning situations without the pressure of a customer hanging over your shoulder, heh. It will bump up your confidence and help relieve some "first-time-I've-seen-this" jitters in front of a potential client.

2. Pair up with your local cleaners and get to know them. You guys are not competition, you are a network. Work with them, get a feel for what their daily routine is like, and use that to narrow down the fields in which you want to focus. Commercial? High-end residential? Unoccupied multi-family? Different approaches work on different scenarios.

3. Don't try to be everything to everyone at first. Get really good at one thing, then stretch yourself a bit to accommodate something else. It is much easier to build a good reputation than to repair a damaged one. Become an expert on carpet before you leap into tile. Get great at tile before you wrangle hardwoods. Master hardwoods before you tackle upholstery, etc etc etc. Or whatever order you choose to learn in.

4. Don't fall for the price war trap. If someone near you is offering cheaper prices, you're not necessarily serving yourself or your customers by matching that person. If you intend to offer quality, charge accordingly. There are three options - GOOD, FAST, and CHEAP. You only ever get to be two out of three. Which two do you want to be, and which two do you want your customers to think you are?

5. If you truly mean to get into duct cleaning, do your research. NADCA has very strict guidelines about what can and cannot be done to an HVAC system, and you could land yourself in hot water if you step outside those guidelines. The carpet cleaning industry is much looser in its regulations (outside of warranty issues) and duct cleaning carries a much greater weight of responsibility and liability. I give the same warning to guys who want to offer things like "flea treatments" or "bedbug treatments" - they are encroaching on a territory that could get them into serious legal difficulty. Duct cleaning can be very profitable if it is done properly. If it's not, it can be a tar pit.

Above all, you've taken a huge first step in finding this forum. There are a ton of very knowledgable fellows here, and you'll learn a lot from them. There aren't many places like this, and personally I find this particular forum to be the most consistently useful and informative of the lot. There's no such thing as a stupid question here, except the one you don't ask.

Tony Quart

Jul 12, 2017
Real Name
Tony Quart
Thank you for all the answer. I'm planning to open this cleaning service in near future, and this will be a great way to start.

HiCrestRick

Jan 3, 2018
Real Name
Rick Wilson
I'll take this one. In advance of telling you the answers to your particular questions I would mention the search field at the very top of this page. Just type in what you want to know about and leave the other fields blank, hit enter and you'll have reading for days.

how do you know what prespray to use?...
I use one for normal soil levels and one for bad/grungy ones. I don't have different presprays for different carpet types. BTW my normal soil level prespray is below a 9pH so I can use it on wool carpet and most upholstery.

can you get every carpet clean?...
Yes.

will and should it still have a dingy look after cleaning?...
Some do some don't.

and if so how do you tell the customer their carpet isn't going to come all the way clean?...
First off you need to set their expectations. If they have let the carpet get nasty and stay nasty then they need to be told prior to you getting started that this carpet is going to show some wear/stains. Here's how I do it. After the walk through and pricing is all done and I am about to go I say "we need to talk about what to expect." They say something along the lines of "how clean do you think it is going to come." Provided the carpet is the type and soil load that I think will respond to cleaning I say: "I think it will look much much better, I find the only people that are disappointed are expecting brand new." Now I say that with a bit of a tone and look that means are you one of them? Almost everybody says something like; oh no, I don't expect it to look new I just wand most if not all the spots and traffic lanes to look better. I say "piece of cake." The I step towards the door and say I will let myself in and out.

Now if I get a lady that complains about the TLs not looking better I tell them "it's a lot like the bottoms of your socks that you can't get clean and you get to bleach them. I know it's clean I just see the wear difference between the walked on part and the unwalked on part."
I like the socks analogy!

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
dang, I don't like the "look like new" comment above. I expect it to look like new except for wear and color loss. Almost all the time I can achieve that.

A decent TM, Robs chems and a CRB

Latest posts