New Build and Company, In Need Of A Pro's Advice | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

New Build and Company, In Need Of A Pro's Advice

DaisyFreshOwner

Jun 18, 2020
Gulfport, MS
Real Name
Joshua Seal
OK, so I'm building a trailer mount that I will be using mainly for apartment contracts. Gonna be using a Predator 22hp, a General Pump TSS1021, an 80 - 90 gal recovery tank and running no more than 300' of hose but normally more like 200'.

My question is what size Roots blower should I run?

I live in a high humidity area so I really need to get as much water recovered as possible, but its a brand new company and capital is tight so I can't over spend here.

All you pro's out there that want to teach and look out for the little guy, here is your shot.

Thanks in advance.

DaisyFreshOwner

Jun 18, 2020
Gulfport, MS
Real Name
Joshua Seal
With all do respect, cheap fans are cheap.
If I were to use fans, on an average day I would need twenty or more running all over town. 5-6 apartments a day with a fan in every room then having to go pick them all up just to start the next day. That just isn't feasible.
The right blower motor will eliminate all that.

• Haha
Reactions: Hacky-sack

DaisyFreshOwner

Jun 18, 2020
Gulfport, MS
Real Name
Joshua Seal
A 45? That'll move enough volume of air? I know a fair amount about machinery but I'm useless when it comes to vacuum/blowers.
Thanx for the reply

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Quick question why are you focusing on apts?

DaisyFreshOwner

Jun 18, 2020
Gulfport, MS
Real Name
Joshua Seal
I work as a carpet cleaner now. Been doin it for two years and before that I laid carpet. Since I've been cleaning, 98% of everything I do is apartments. Do what you know and all that. Any advice on additional sources of revenue is always welcome.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Each area is different but always found apt work to be frustrating and end the not all that worth it. Better make sure you have good insurance in place with hoses running inside complexes

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Gulfport, so how much are you going to get for say 2 bed room unit? I'd guess 75 or less.

DaisyFreshOwner

Jun 18, 2020
Gulfport, MS
Real Name
Joshua Seal
Ain't that the truth. 1M minimum just to walk on almost anyone's property. I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
Where do you find the most business

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Your engine size is already determining your blower size. I wouldn't go smaller than a 45 which you can run fine with 22hp.

One thing that really helps with dry times is limiting how much you pre spray, if it's really dirty dont spray more just pre scrub instead.

Also if you get used to always dry passing at 1/2 the speed of your wet pass you'll consistently get good dry times.

DaisyFreshOwner

Jun 18, 2020
Gulfport, MS
Real Name
Joshua Seal
Your engine size is already determining your blower size. I wouldn't go smaller than a 45 which you can run fine with 22hp.

One thing that really helps with dry times is limiting how much you pre spray, if it's really dirty dont spray more just pre scrub instead.

Also if you get used to always dry passing at 1/2 the speed of your wet pass you'll consistently get good dry times.

Yeah I do a complex now that refuses to dry and my boss' equipment is top notch. That place has me in the practice of extracting at half speed and your right, makes all the difference.

DaisyFreshOwner

Jun 18, 2020
Gulfport, MS
Real Name
Joshua Seal
Why don't you put some effort into property management co's that deal in single family homes, townhouses and duplexes. No more base price then try to add on.

I absolutely will.

I work for a really good man that would literally give me the shirt off his back but I just don't feel comfortable asking him the customer acquisition end of things, knowing that I'll be competing with him in just a few weeks. I would never try to snake anyone he already cleans for but any other property on the coast we'll be going head to head on. Maybe its just me but I'd feel sh!tty beating him with his own advice.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Just remember "live by price die by price" the majority of apt complexes are price driven when it comes to cleaning. Independent property mgr's are quality and integrity driven. The only time price comes into play is when it is more cost effective to replace than try to salvage.
When you talk to them don't try to talk price just inform them that you are available when their main guy is busy. It may take some time but it is worth it when you land the account.
These mgr's are responsible for other peoples property and when they find someone they can trust they are extremely loyal. No more price shopping.

DaisyFreshOwner

Jun 18, 2020
Gulfport, MS
Real Name
Joshua Seal
That sounds like great advice, I really appreciate it.

This might be a dumb question but does anyone know a reputable place to buy a remanufactured Roots 45? I can afford to get brand new from PD Blowers, and may wind up kicking myself for not getting the warranty, but I'd really like to save 700-800 bucks on some of theses eBay offers. No way in hell am I going eBay unless someone can swear to the reputation of the seller. Any thoughts?