New addition, used 175

Bill Daviet

May 13, 2006
So I purchased a well used Kent 17” HD 175 rotary from a guy getting out of the floor refinishing business, $250, seems reasonable. I’m hoping to get some work in small commercial accounts using encapsulation with this machine and to add a basic extractor soon. I’m not sure I’ll have the best of any tool in 2018 because we’re in some tough financial straights but I’d like to at least have workable tools for common situations and hopefully upgrade productivity related tools later in the year.

What is the best attachment option on the 175? I think I definitely need a pad driver, and I believe that can be used for both scrubber pads or bonnets? But do I also need a carpet brush?

I’m also not certain of the size brush/pad. Looking at threads I see some recommendations to use 19” though other info on the web says I would need a riser to go over 15-16” even with a 17” machine. I also need to learn how to do hard floors at some point.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I didn’t buy the 175 for residential though one can never say never. But I plan to target mid-high end residential with my other equipment and/or small footprint commercial business with the 175. (For example I cleaned a Mathnasium 2 weeks ago which was maybe $1500 sq feet of glue down carpet tile, I large room).

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
The average 17'' 175 will take a 19'' pad. However some machines have a shallow pad driver. That means that when you put the pad driver on the machine and lower it onto the carpet the driver does not raise the machine enough to drive a pad of any thickness. Now the riser (that's the thing that attaches to the pad driver and then the whole thing attaches to the machine) does come in different thicknesses from less than an inch to like about 3". They come that way to accommodate different uses for the same machine. If all you use the machine for is scrubbing floors you don't need any increased height (from the edge of the housing to the floor) but if you do floors and bonnet cleaning you'll need a riser.

Reactions: rob allen

Bill Daviet

May 13, 2006
Thanks Ken. There is a concrete brush that came with the machine which has a riser attached so I’ll assume its needed to use 19” carpet accessories.

As far as a carpet brush, vs only getting a pad driver, what do people think? Are both needed for scrubbing/encap on commercial carpet or is the pad driver enough? I assume if I get to scrubbing grout at some point I’ll need a grout brush to get into the lowered area of the grout lines.

BonnetPro

Oct 1, 2009
Pa
www.bonnetpro.com
Real Name
John Klucznik
Business Location
United States
You made a good choice. Get a battery sprayer to apply your encap. Dont be tempted by a shampoo tank. Not a good fit with bonnet use. Let your work load determine other equipment purchases. For what you paid you cant go wrong. My wedding gift from my wife to me was a Thoromatic 175 with a tank and front sprayer. I still have it. Its most likely what started Bonnet Pro. Great luck to you with it.

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
yep i’ll use it on trashed carpets, t&g, saltillo

amazingly brush very versatile like a 175!

Even on saltillo, amazing. I think Jeff from Houston told me about this brush, so that is why I am confirming it. For I had to return my Koblenz 13 inch 175 for a replacement, since it arrived last week with a damaged bell and more. I hope to get the new one in a week or two, and then I need to start buying some stuff for it, perhaps this powr-flite blue brush, and/or some others. Thanks.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
So I purchased a well used Kent 17” HD 175 rotary from a guy getting out of the floor refinishing business, $250, seems reasonable. I’m hoping to get some work in small commercial accounts using encapsulation with this machine and to add a basic extractor soon. I’m not sure I’ll have the best of any tool in 2018 because we’re in some tough financial straights but I’d like to at least have workable tools for common situations and hopefully upgrade productivity related tools later in the year.

What is the best attachment option on the 175? I think I definitely need a pad driver, and I believe that can be used for both scrubber pads or bonnets? But do I also need a carpet brush?

I’m also not certain of the size brush/pad. Looking at threads I see some recommendations to use 19” though other info on the web says I would need a riser to go over 15-16” even with a 17” machine. I also need to learn how to do hard floors at some point.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I didn’t buy the 175 for residential though one can never say never. But I plan to target mid-high end residential with my other equipment and/or small footprint commercial business with the 175. (For example I cleaned a Mathnasium 2 weeks ago which was maybe $1500 sq feet of glue down carpet tile, I large room).
Excellent advice given above, you can certainly keep a pad driver, carpet brush, and blue grit brush on your van at all times and it can cover every aspect of cleaning you will run into... Stock up on the pads and bonnets.

Bill Daviet

May 13, 2006
So on the Bonnet Pro page I see something called the multi brush system which includes a combo pad/bonnet driver, clutch, risers and 5 bonnets and 5 pads if I’m reading it right. But I don’t see a place to specify the diameter. Is it one size for all rotaries, or should I be seeking 19” to fit the 17” Kent with a riser? And would the clutch be a universal size?

Sorry for all the questions but I’ve never used a rotary and I want to be sure I order the most versatile accessory for it.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
So on the Bonnet Pro page I see something called the multi brush system which includes a combo pad/bonnet driver, clutch, risers and 5 bonnets and 5 pads if I’m reading it right. But I don’t see a place to specify the diameter. Is it one size for all rotaries, or should I be seeking 19” to fit the 17” Kent with a riser? And would the clutch be a universal size?

Sorry for all the questions but I’ve never used a rotary and I want to be sure I order the most versatile accessory for it.

Truly Mr Bonnet Pro would be the best one to answer about a product he is selling. But, I will give it a shot until he gets on-line.

And he got on and typed a short answer while I was typing my long response.

Rotary machines are sized according to the size of the brush that will fit under the machine without use of a riser. Brushes will splay out at the bottom due to the weight of the machine. So a 17" brush may only be 15" diameter at the top toward the machine, but 17" at the bottom where it hits the floor.

Brushes are usually identified by the width at the top. So, a 15" brush will fit a 17" machine and spread out at the bottom to be about the same 17" diameter as the machine.

This keeps the brush inside the housing of the machine and reduces splattering. Depending on what you are cleaning with and in what surroundings, that may be very important.

With a riser, you can put a larger pad or bonnet or brush on the machine. The riser allows it to extend beyond the housing of the machine. As long as the machine is powerful enough to turn a larger brush / pad / bonnet and if splashing will not be an issue, then that option is also OK.

95% or more of all clutch plates are the same, a universal fit for almost every machine. Once in a while you may come across a brand that does not use the same clutch plate.