Need your advice on which truckmount! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Need your advice on which truckmount!

Discussion in 'Modify Truckmounts & Portables' started by Koben Dean, Oct 12, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Koben Dean

Koben Dean New Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Really hoping to get some feedback from all you experienced guys out there. I'm looking to get my first truck mount and right now I'm trying to decide between the ones listed below.

For now I'm just looking to get a really good reliable machine that can do everything and that's not going to give me a bunch of headaches or break the bank.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for taking a look!

Prochem Performer 405 - $8,000 with 1,900 hours being sold by JonDon so recently serviced with 30 day warranty.

2003 Prochem Legend - $5,750 with 3,900 hours with new heat exchangers, really clean unit sold by private seller.

Prochem Legend Xl - 600 hours for $8,800 sold by private seller.

Prochem Everest with 2,400 hours for $12,500 sold by JonDon. (two options one has a Nissan motor the other Hyundai)

Sapphire 570SS, one has 4,500 hours and the other 2,000 hours, prices are $12,500 and $15,500 respectively. Both sold by JonDon.

2. Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Serving the greater Charlotte area
    Ratings:
    +851 / 2 / -0
    My .02
    Most small engines are expected to live 4-5000 hrs under average care. The rest of the equipment around it is based on the guy(s) running it. Personally I would look at the unit with 600 hours, ask a lot of questions and look at the fasteners around all the major components (are they rounded, perfect, etc...), the story within the story. You are looking for useful life left, unless you are a part time mechanic scooping up a bargain.

Total cost of ownership varies when buying used. I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but has some validity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. seagrtj

seagrtj Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    MO
    Ratings:
    +909 / 4 / -0
    when you say those units are being sold by Jon-Don... Do you mean they have used units at one of the locations or you saw them on thier website under used Truckmounts??

4. Koben Dean

Koben Dean New Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Jim. When you say check the fasteners would this be checking to see if there's been a lot of maintenance that's been done previously indicating potential wear problems and decreased useful life?

5. seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    MO
    Ratings:
    +909 / 4 / -0
    Not just maintenance, but maintenance performed correctly. A mechanic will use proper tools, a guy who likes to tinker will use a crescent wrench and vice grips and round a bolt head off real quick

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    MO
    Ratings:
    +909 / 4 / -0
    The reason I asked if you were referring to units being sold by Jon-Don is... The units that are on thier website under Used Truckmounts are not Jon-Don units. They are owned by someone totally unaffiliated with them. They simply pay them a fee to advertise the Truckmount on the site. The sale does not involve them at all and most of the time Jon-Don has not gone over these machines at all.

JD doesn't like to deal with used TM's. Some locations had one or two but not many.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. ColoradoCleaner

ColoradoCleaner Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Male
    Denver, CO
    Ratings:
    +3,134 / 40 / -0
    Ok here's my opinion... of those options, I'd look at the two legends, and the Everest. The 405 is too old. Everest is obviously the best machine, but more complicated. If it's in good shape, I'd lean towards that. Remember the Everest will have a longer lifespan than the legends because it has a better engine.

The Sapphire with 4,500 hours is too many hours, and the 2,000 hour one is too close to the cost of a new one.

Are you paying cash or financing? If you're busy enough I'd highly recommend just financing a brand new machine, if you plan to be in business for the foreseeable future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Koben Dean

Koben Dean New Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The units I'm referring to are used units that JonDon actually has. I've been talking with the local sales guy who took them on trade.

9. Koben Dean

Koben Dean New Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the insight. New to this business so only 2 cleans lined up so far which are going to be friends who I'll get to experiment on! lol

10. ColoradoCleaner

ColoradoCleaner Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Male
    Denver, CO
    Ratings:
    +3,134 / 40 / -0
    I've bought two Apex truckmounts in the past year and I must say it is really nice to own a unit brand new from the start. But if you're just starting out, I'd rather get something inexpensive and focus the rest of your available cash on a good marketing plan, and a good truck. So, my advice would depend on how much money you have available. Those options vary quite a bit in price. Some are 3 times the price of others.

11. Sharpie

Sharpie New Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Male
    pro carpet and upholstery cleaner
    littleton ma
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have had my butler for 34 years easy to work on to !

12. Joe cool

Joe cool Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,606 / 15 / -0
    The Everest with the Hyundai motor

13. Grn Steamer

Grn Steamer Active Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -0
    If your just staring out might not put a lot of house on any unit your first couple years depending on how agressive you are advertising and what level of service you are hoping to provide. If you doing whole home for $150 bucks and trying to do 6 a day you'll put lots of hours on fast. If your doing two larger quality jobs a day and also doing some tile and some other services you might not put nearly the amount of hours on you machine you're thinking. I say all this to say that you might be able to get by with something less expensive that's just reliable...and buy a new machine in a couple years when you're really making some money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1