Need your advice on which truckmount!

Koben Dean

Oct 12, 2017
Real Name
Koben Dean
Really hoping to get some feedback from all you experienced guys out there. I'm looking to get my first truck mount and right now I'm trying to decide between the ones listed below.

For now I'm just looking to get a really good reliable machine that can do everything and that's not going to give me a bunch of headaches or break the bank.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for taking a look!

Prochem Performer 405 - $8,000 with 1,900 hours being sold by JonDon so recently serviced with 30 day warranty.

2003 Prochem Legend - $5,750 with 3,900 hours with new heat exchangers, really clean unit sold by private seller.

Prochem Legend Xl - 600 hours for $8,800 sold by private seller.

Prochem Everest with 2,400 hours for $12,500 sold by JonDon. (two options one has a Nissan motor the other Hyundai)

Sapphire 570SS, one has 4,500 hours and the other 2,000 hours, prices are $12,500 and $15,500 respectively. Both sold by JonDon.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
My .02
Most small engines are expected to live 4-5000 hrs under average care. The rest of the equipment around it is based on the guy(s) running it. Personally I would look at the unit with 600 hours, ask a lot of questions and look at the fasteners around all the major components (are they rounded, perfect, etc...), the story within the story. You are looking for useful life left, unless you are a part time mechanic scooping up a bargain.

Total cost of ownership varies when buying used. I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but has some validity.

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Really hoping to get some feedback from all you experienced guys out there. I'm looking to get my first truck mount and right now I'm trying to decide between the ones listed below.

For now I'm just looking to get a really good reliable machine that can do everything and that's not going to give me a bunch of headaches or break the bank.

Prochem Performer 405 - $8,000 with 1,900 hours being sold by JonDon so recently serviced with 30 day warranty.

2003 Prochem Legend - $5,750 with 3,900 hours with new heat exchangers, really clean unit sold by private seller.

Prochem Everest with 2,400 hours for $12,500 sold by JonDon. (two options one has a Nissan motor the other Hyundai)

Sapphire 570SS, one has 4,500 hours and the other 2,000 hours, prices are $12,500 and $15,500 respectively. Both sold by JonDon.
when you say those units are being sold by Jon-Don... Do you mean they have used units at one of the locations or you saw them on thier website under used Truckmounts??

Koben Dean

Oct 12, 2017
Real Name
Koben Dean
My .02
Most small engines are expected to live 4-5000 hrs under average care. The rest of the equipment around it is based on the guy(s) running it. Personally I would look at the unit with 600 hours, ask a lot of questions and look at the fasteners around all the major components (are they rounded, perfect, etc...), the story within the story. You are looking for useful life left, unless you are a part time mechanic scooping up a bargain.

Total cost of ownership varies when buying used. I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but has some validity.
Thanks Jim. When you say check the fasteners would this be checking to see if there's been a lot of maintenance that's been done previously indicating potential wear problems and decreased useful life?

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Thanks Jim. When you say check the fasteners would this be checking to see if there's been a lot of maintenance that's been done previously indicating potential wear problems and decreased useful life?
Not just maintenance, but maintenance performed correctly. A mechanic will use proper tools, a guy who likes to tinker will use a crescent wrench and vice grips and round a bolt head off real quick

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
The reason I asked if you were referring to units being sold by Jon-Don is... The units that are on thier website under Used Truckmounts are not Jon-Don units. They are owned by someone totally unaffiliated with them. They simply pay them a fee to advertise the Truckmount on the site. The sale does not involve them at all and most of the time Jon-Don has not gone over these machines at all.

JD doesn't like to deal with used TM's. Some locations had one or two but not many.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Ok here's my opinion... of those options, I'd look at the two legends, and the Everest. The 405 is too old. Everest is obviously the best machine, but more complicated. If it's in good shape, I'd lean towards that. Remember the Everest will have a longer lifespan than the legends because it has a better engine.

The Sapphire with 4,500 hours is too many hours, and the 2,000 hour one is too close to the cost of a new one.

Are you paying cash or financing? If you're busy enough I'd highly recommend just financing a brand new machine, if you plan to be in business for the foreseeable future.

Koben Dean

Oct 12, 2017
Real Name
Koben Dean
The reason I asked if you were referring to units being sold by Jon-Don is... The units that are on thier website under Used Truckmounts are not Jon-Don units. They are owned by someone totally unaffiliated with them. They simply pay them a fee to advertise the Truckmount on the site. The sale does not involve them at all and most of the time Jon-Don has not gone over these machines at all.

JD doesn't like to deal with used TM's. Some locations had one or two but not many.
The units I'm referring to are used units that JonDon actually has. I've been talking with the local sales guy who took them on trade.

Koben Dean

Oct 12, 2017
Real Name
Koben Dean
Ok here's my opinion... of those options, I'd look at the two legends, and the Everest. The 405 is too old. Everest is obviously the best machine, but more complicated. If it's in good shape, I'd lean towards that. Remember the Everest will have a longer lifespan than the legends because it has a better engine.

The Sapphire with 4,500 hours is too many hours, and the 2,000 hour one is too close to the cost of a new one.

Are you paying cash or financing? If you're busy enough I'd highly recommend just financing a brand new machine, if you plan to be in business for the foreseeable future.
Thanks for the insight. New to this business so only 2 cleans lined up so far which are going to be friends who I'll get to experiment on! lol

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the insight. New to this business so only 2 cleans lined up so far which are going to be friends who I'll get to experiment on! lol
I've bought two Apex truckmounts in the past year and I must say it is really nice to own a unit brand new from the start. But if you're just starting out, I'd rather get something inexpensive and focus the rest of your available cash on a good marketing plan, and a good truck. So, my advice would depend on how much money you have available. Those options vary quite a bit in price. Some are 3 times the price of others.

Sharpie

Oct 10, 2017
littleton ma
Real Name
Jon Salem

I have had my butler for 34 years easy to work on to !

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
If your just staring out might not put a lot of house on any unit your first couple years depending on how agressive you are advertising and what level of service you are hoping to provide. If you doing whole home for $150 bucks and trying to do 6 a day you'll put lots of hours on fast. If your doing two larger quality jobs a day and also doing some tile and some other services you might not put nearly the amount of hours on you machine you're thinking. I say all this to say that you might be able to get by with something less expensive that's just reliable...and buy a new machine in a couple years when you're really making some money.

Reactions: James L.

SMYLiE Guy

Mar 25, 2017
Ohio
Real Name
Alan Mighton
Business Location
United States
Just because you have a truck-mount budget of $5,500 - $8,800 doesn't mean your finished investing in your rig. You'll need to account for the vehicle you want to mount it in. Does the unit come with a fresh water holding tank or will have to add one? Do you want an over-the wheel well design or perhaps a sub-mount tank that helps free up valuable space. Being it's used, you're most likely going to invest some reconditioning costs into the unit. You're going to want to find and befriend a knowledgeable truck-mount mechanic. My wife & I run a cleaning business & we made the decision to invest in a truck-mount for our existing customer base and to help market our company for new carpet cleaning opportunities. We found a low hour Hydramaster 323 (528 hrs.) from a defunct Master's Touch owner that wanted out of the business. It's been a great machine, but we've upgraded a lot on it to make it fit for our needs. For instance, it came mounted in a trailer when we purchased it this Spring. We knew we would eventually mount it in a van prior to winter kicking in. We just purchased a clean used 2012 Ford Econline 250 w/ low mileage. Had it Rhino-lined and had our mechanic transfer it from the trailer to the van. We made the decision to put a brand new Hydramaster 70 gal. Sub-Mount water tank beneath the unit to save space in the van. Since the machine was being pulled we had our mechanic put all new head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, Plugs, Starter and clean the Heat Exchanger on the unit to make sure it was like new. We also replaced some High-Pressure Water Hose and upgraded our wand to a RotoVac Bonzer which is awesome. All together we have about $30K invested in a low-hour, low-mileage carpet rig. We started out with a budget of $15K but as time rolled on, our needs grew and therefore we invested more to keep up with the demand of our clientele. I guess the point I'm making is... be prepared to spend more on used rigs as upgrades and minor upgrades are inevitable. Truck-Mounts are expensive both new & used. You need to have some existing business to help support your investment. I'd suggest lower-hour units as you are maximizing your life expectancy of the machine. Best of luck shopping.

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

SMYLiE Guy

Mar 25, 2017
Ohio
Real Name
Alan Mighton
Business Location
United States
The new set up after transferring our TM to a van. Mounted it on top of
a new Hydramaster Sub-Mount Water Tank. Need to add a small shelf in the back by the hose reels to store chemical.
TM1.jpg
TM3.jpg
TM2.jpg

Attachments

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Koben

Do you have another job and want to do this partime???..
Where are you located...what state.........?????

The 4 biggest problems to solve in this business is IMO
1. Good employees
2. Reliable equipment that is easy and quick to fix
3. Getting the work
4. Staying out of debt

All 4 of those machines...prochem and. Saphire are extremely
Dificult to work on.......spagetti wiring....computer wires......
It would take you 5-10 years of replacing parts to learn how
To do even minor replacements.....unless you are a master mechanic.....

If you have a breakdown and cant fix it yourself you can be out 1000s$$$$
And weeks wo machine.......

2 options:
1.Start out with 1000$ portable and 500$ rotary. 175...to learn the business
You will always neeed a rotary
2. Get a small brand name tm. That is easy to work on.....
Ex. Judson, namco

I own 2 namcos from houston...thiey are still 6000$ new
With good specs...cat pump, tuthill blower and kholer engine
These are easy to work on ....i do all replacements myself...
Or with my local auto mechanic...and i am no master mechanic!!!!!!

Reactions: Brennan Bulley