Need tips for parking of condo cleaning ! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Need tips for parking of condo cleaning !

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
Many of my customers live in condo, and the tenants on both sides of the CONDO share a the narrow passageway, so most of the time I have to park as close the door of the customer's garage as possible. But the problem is that the middle position of my van is exit exhausting from truckmount into the garage.If I move my van forward or backward and try to avoid the garage door, I will block the garage nearby.Almost all condominiums suffer from this problems, as vacuum pipe enter the main room from the garage and toxic fumes continue to flood through the cracks in the door.
If the client had a condo with three floors and two staircases, a sealed staircase leading from the garage to the second floor, and I nearly choked to death on the hot exhaust when I cleaning stairs.

Old hands any good solution?Grateful to

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Possible to bring extra hose and park further away? Living in Maui, I ALWAYS have issues with parking/ access, etc. It is condos as far as the eye can see. I usually just keep like 200 ft total of hose in my van so I can park further away from a unit if necessary.

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
Possible to bring extra hose and park further away? Living in Maui, I ALWAYS have issues with parking/ access, etc. It is condos as far as the eye can see. I usually just keep like 200 ft total of hose in my van so I can park further away from a unit if necessary.
Pulling the pipe from a distance would run across other tenants' garage doors, crushing the pipe as they move out

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Pulling the pipe from a distance would run across other tenants' garage doors, crushing the pipe as they move out
You could probably use some air movers to encourage airflow OUT of the garage instead of into the garage.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
If it's a regular problem I would rig up a temporary exhaust that you clamp on and point it the other way. Any exhaust shop could help you out.
I never got to test it but I always considered adding a pipe straight up the side of the van like on bigger trucks. A lot less above you to melt/fill with fumes.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
If you can't figure a way to do it w/o any and I mean ANY chance of carbon monoxide getting into that building I'd suggest getting a decent portable to do those jobs. I'd have to see the site myself, but you certainly made this sound extremely dangerous. If so much as someone's pet bird dies you're in a heap of trouble. The other thing that could happen is you could die or kill someone. It happens more often than you might think. You simply have to find a way to get it so that NO exhaust is going into that building and I do mean NONE. If you can't then I'd get a portable to do those jobs. That's better than facing the consequences that could be you being 6 feet under or a pile of ashes in a nice vase.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Simple.

Close the garage door down on your hose.
That will fix your issue.

With a 3 inch gap at the bottom of the garage door combined with your curtain door you use at the first door into the home to keep to keep the bugs out as well as the weather out and conditioned air in......co2 will not be able to get in as readily.

This is what we do anyways.

You do have to watch what way the wind is blowing and ask customers to close windows if needed until you shut off the TM.

Reactions: Lars and rob allen

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Many of my customers live in condo, and the tenants on both sides of the CONDO share a the narrow passageway, so most of the time I have to park as close the door of the customer's garage as possible. But the problem is that the middle position of my van is exit exhausting from truckmount into the garage.If I move my van forward or backward and try to avoid the garage door, I will block the garage nearby.Almost all condominiums suffer from this problems, as vacuum pipe enter the main room from the garage and toxic fumes continue to flood through the cracks in the door.
If the client had a condo with three floors and two staircases, a sealed staircase leading from the garage to the second floor, and I nearly choked to death on the hot exhaust when I cleaning stairs.

Not sure of the back pressure if you use two hoses for a reach of 22'.
And you need to make sure the hose stays on if you go in a closed envoroment.

They make 4" tube for longer hose runs and the back prussure will not blow the hose off the tail pipe or cuase enging problems.

th.jpg

Last edited:

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
  • Haha
Reactions: CCWorks

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
If you can't figure a way to do it w/o any and I mean ANY chance of carbon monoxide getting into that building I'd suggest getting a decent portable to do those jobs. I'd have to see the site myself, but you certainly made this sound extremely dangerous. If so much as someone's pet bird dies you're in a heap of trouble. The other thing that could happen is you could die or kill someone. It happens more often than you might think. You simply have to find a way to get it so that NO exhaust is going into that building and I do mean NONE. If you can't then I'd get a portable to do those jobs. That's better than facing the consequences that could be you being 6 feet under or a pile of ashes in a nice vase.
Will truckmount's exhaust emissions have catalytic converters and filters like car exhaust? There is no risk of cancer after a few hours of exposure

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Will truckmount's exhaust emissions have catalytic converters and filters like car exhaust? There is no risk of cancer after a few hours of exposure
I would not sit in the van while it is running.
Otherwise not sure how you would get hours of exposure.

Other than that the exposure is no worse than someone living in a big city.

Reactions: nbaabc1234

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
If your truck mount uses any small engine regardless of the brand it will not have a catalytic converter so it's basically like using a generator and the exhaust of co2 is many times from a small engine that you would get with car exhaust from what I've read. I think you've gotten some good suggestions so as long as you follow them there shouldn't be a problem. Carbon monoxide is heavier than air and can actually be drawn into a building through any opening such as a door or window. Even a very slight breeze can carry it right into the place you're working. If I'm forced to park closer than I'd like to I generally let the garage door all the way down on my vacuum hose like was mentioned above. The exhaust pipe idea is also feasible so that might work for you just fine. It doesn't take much to set co2 detectors off and since it's odorless by the time you have symptoms it's too late. There is a real risk so I'd do what I have to in order to make certain I'm not getting co2 into the job site. I know of at least several cases where carpet cleaners thought they would be ok, but found out the hard way it wasn't ok.

Here is something from the TMF store you might consider checking out.

Last edited:
Reactions: rob allen

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz

Brother I feel you. Happened 2 times to me over the years where carbon monoxide alarms went off during the job. Super embarrassing aside from being dangerous. Customers were there both times.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What truck mount do you use? We sometimes take a 2.5" hose and hook it to our exhaust and run it 50' away.