Need some suggestions on removing old grout sealer on ceramic tile | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Need some suggestions on removing old grout sealer on ceramic tile

Mean Steam

Mar 26, 2016
Real Name
Jesse Root
I have a customer that has sealed there grout about 3 years ago. I tried to clean it with grout master and spinner at 1100 psi. I tested a small area with undiluted striper and the sealer didnt budge. She cant remember for sure what she used to seal it but she thinks it was Penetrating Grout Sealer by Tile Guard from home depot. I'm going to revisit this customer on Thursday so any suggestions on how to clean the grout lines would be much appreciated.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
What stripper did you use? Also, try applying it at its max mixed strength according to the label and not undiluted. Give it good dwell time and scrub scrub scrub. Then rinse.

Chemicals are designed to be used diluted, its been my opinion based on my experience that using chemicals undiluted makes them less effective and possibly creates more hassle later on.

Mean Steam

Mar 26, 2016
Real Name
Jesse Root
What stripper did you use? Also, try applying it at its max mixed strength according to the label and not undiluted. Give it good dwell time and scrub scrub scrub. Then rinse.

Chemicals are designed to be used diluted, its been my opinion based on my experience that using chemicals undiluted makes them less effective and possibly creates more hassle later on.
Its called red hot stripper. I was thinking about using viper venom but never used it and im not sure it will work.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Maybe but tile and grout cleaner isn't stripper. If you have sealer to remove I think stripper would be better. Maybe someone who has more experience in tile and grout can weigh in. I've only been doing it for a year and have yet to encounter a floor that had sealer on it. Or if it did it was so old and worn I couldn't tell.

Mean Steam

Mar 26, 2016
Real Name
Jesse Root
Thanks for the help guys! Whats a good stripper and where can i get it? Also will a grout brush work as i do not have a 175 yet?

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Grout Brush will work. I'd get a grout shark or grout demon brush if you don't already have one.

Spartan High Strength stipper is pretty good and normally pretty easy to get a hold of. Bone Saw gets some amazing reviews, never used it but looking forward to trying it out this spring.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the help guys! Whats a good stripper and where can i get it? Also will a grout brush work as i do not have a 175 yet?
I have used a few different strippers that worked about the same but have been using Bone Saw and have been happy. A grout brush will be a lot more work than a 175, l would look into getting a 175 soon.

Mean Steam

Mar 26, 2016
Real Name
Jesse Root
Thanks again for the help. A 175 is in the works. I have only been in this business for just shy of a year now so im still building up my arsenal of tools.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I see 175's in pawn shops from time to time, priced about $300. Also keep an eye on craigslist and ebay. If you can get one that has a nylo grit brush on it then thats a bonus. Those can run a couple hundred bucks new. A good nylo grit will be useful on tile and grout, stripping VCT and does a pretty good job as a pad holder. Not a lot you can't do with a 175.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Get greatest info on greatest grout brushes @aloha one . Also you can buy it at nearest distributor. When comes to grout sealer, you have to remember grout lines are porous and that's why is sealer used. I hope you are not dealing with wax . Ceramic tiles are not design to be waxed, but this fact won't prevent some customers put wax down anyway. Being on the kitchen floor mixed with greasy residues, wax can cause headache and requires lot of patience to remove it

Floor Restore

Feb 20, 2013
Winter Haven, FL
Real Name
Bryan Meeks
Business Location
United States
Add some ammonia.... An ounce to gallon with a stripper(careful or you'll find yourself laying on the ground, it stinks) . As stated above you have to dilute a stripper to "activate" it. Let it sit for all east 5 min and as much as 30. Make sure it doesn't dry out or you will make it harder. Look for the surface to turn white and that will tell you the stripper is working. If stripper and ammonia don't work it's a sealant stronger than an acrylic and will need an industrial paint stripper applied.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Mean Steam

Mar 26, 2016
Real Name
Jesse Root
Just ordered the Bone Saw stripper! Fingers crossed that it will take the sealer off. Do I need to re-clean the grout after I use the stripper?

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Just ordered the Bone Saw stripper! Fingers crossed that it will take the sealer off. Do I need to re-clean the grout after I use the stripper?

You will need to rinse it thoroughly. I'd use a neutral cleaner like Viper 7 to help get all the residue off the floor. So yeah, you will basically be cleaning it again.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
The solvent based sealers have acetone as the base, try that.