Need some help. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Need some help.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Hey guys I cleaned this wall to wall carpet yesterday in just one area. Didn’t test it. I’m thinking now it may be or have a rayon blend in it. I used bonnet pro Rocket the HWE. Women called and said it shrunk and feels matted, crunchy and discolored. Should I do a browning treatment?? Like a spray and bonnet??? Going back to look at it in a bit. Or do you think it’s toast?
IMG_2628.jpeg
IMG_2628.jpeg
IMG_2630.jpeg
IMG_2629.jpeg
IMG_2628.jpeg

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I would re-stretch where it needs and at the same time "down play" the shrinking and put her at ease that it can be fixed. I would use a good acidic rinse to soften the fibers up.
Stretch then topical application of acidic rinse (with pump up sprayer then groom in) and dry extract. use fans to accelerate drying.
Looks like an older nylon with a jute backing. If it's a Jute then be careful when stretching so that you don't rip it (it maybe brittle with old age).

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Use Knee kicker and gently put carpet back on tack strip. That shouldn't be a problem.

Gotta be careful with peroxide on those old nylons but I would try to rinse with water first.

I don't think acid and peroxide like each other.

Reactions: Ed Cruz

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
It came off the pins because either they are rusted off, too short, or carpet didnt have a stretch on it to begin with. And it’s usually jute backs that shrinks like that. Always used architectural strip or doubled the strip. Single stick would never hold. Kicker might get it back as it didnt move too far. But you might be surprised how hard that stuff will fight you. Even woven goods are like kicking a brick.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I would re-stretch where it needs and at the same time "down play" the shrinking and put her at ease that it can be fixed. I would use a good acidic rinse to soften the fibers up.
Stretch then topical application of acidic rinse (with pump up sprayer then groom in) and dry extract. use fans to accelerate drying.
Looks like an older nylon with a jute backing. If it's a Jute then be careful when stretching so that you don't rip it (it maybe brittle with old age).
Water was our best friend when working jute backs ;) used to spray the backing around the perimeter 6’ in just to make it flexable. Then stretch and fan dry. The drying caused it to get even tighter. Only then we would cut it in. Ive seen it rip strip up off the floor. And if it was already cut well, we’d have a fight getting it back to the base.
Thankfully its all but just about gone now.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Ok so I just left the home.....there’s no browning like the pics suggest but it did shrink and pull away from a bath doorway. It has a woven backing so I’m sure that’s the cause.......I tried kicking it but it’s pretty stiff so I’m just gonna ask an installer to do it or whether I should vapor steam and kick it in.....It is matted in the area I cleaned but I’m not sure it’s not a combination of wear and maybe the cleaning..... I tested it and it’s a polypropylene fiber type it seems...

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Water was our best friend when working jute backs ;) used to spray the backing around the perimeter 6’ in just to make it flexable. Then stretch and fan dry. The drying caused it to get even tighter. Only then we would cut it in. Ive seen it rip strip up off the floor. And if it was already cut well, we’d have a fight getting it back to the base.
Thankfully its all but just about gone now.
You think a vapor steam then kick would work??

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Use Knee kicker and gently put carpet back on tack strip. That shouldn't be a problem.

Gotta be careful with peroxide on those old nylons but I would try to rinse with water first.

I don't think acid and peroxide like each other.
I hwe extracting the Rocket already with water........I may just vapor steam it. The woven backing isn’t jute. You thing a spray and bonnet buff with a n acid rinse would soften and fluff it or a plain water rinse extract would pick up the nap better?

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
It came off the pins because either they are rusted off, too short, or carpet didnt have a stretch on it to begin with. And it’s usually jute backs that shrinks like that. Always used architectural strip or doubled the strip. Single stick would never hold. Kicker might get it back as it didnt move too far. But you might be surprised how hard that stuff will fight you. Even woven goods are like kicking a brick.
Your right it has just one regular strip there so I got caught up in a booty trap lol......I don’t want to throw the installer under the bus because the I’m friends with the store and this is a good customer of mine so I wanna sort this.

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
You think a vapor steam then kick would work??
Id check the strip if its good try kicking it. But never kick the same spot twice. Kick and move working it to the base. Its really close you might get it. Looks like theres no gap under base that makes it tough too.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I don’t want to get it stretched then rinse it and that thing pop off the racks again.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Id check the strip if its good try kicking it. But never kick the same spot twice. Kick and move working it to the base. Its really close you might get it. Looks like theres no gap under base that makes it tough too.

A500F3B9-747C-487A-B43D-319CDE68AC02.jpeg

I may have to wet it.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I don’t want to get it stretched then rinse it and that thing pop off the racks again.
Add a row of strip, rinse the carpet, put your cleaning equip away. Carefully kick it in while wet. It will be softened up fir you. Just careful not to kick a hole in it. Tuck it in full and step the carpet onto all the pins.

Reactions: Ed Cruz

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
The store says the cpt is poly With poly silk. Not sure what that means but maybe that’s why it appears matted?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
The store says the cpt is poly With poly silk. Not sure what that means but maybe that’s why it appears matted?
Could be. I haven’t come across that yet. How old is the carpeting?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Worse comes to worse theres always the pole stretcher. Its perfect for stuff like this. It gives you more control. But man it sucks to set up.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
You got any pics of the backing? I can see silks hanging down in the one pic.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If its regular backing and latex reverse order of repair. And stretch first while dry. Then rinse.

Jute back is a lot more resilient to water and doesn’t delaminate. Latex back while wet can slide.