Need Some Advice Please

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
I was a Steamway guy before I was an El Diablo guy. Masterblend is WAY behind in production of El Diablo's and I need a new truckmount fairly quick. Was thinking Amtex, but after reading some reviews I'm thinking maybe not. What does anyone know about the diesel fired TCS units? I am a little concerned about their belt driven system and lack of a generator to power the diesel burner. I was told they use a battery to power their diesel burners and I'm a little skeptical. Thanks in advance!

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I wouldnt be concerned about it being a belt driven unit, i was once told by a roots engineer that if it wasnt an electric motor driving the blower it should be belt driven. As far as the burner goes if its a 12 volt burner (i personally dont like 12 volt burners to finicky) just need to make sure theres an adequate charging source run it to the van battery if need be most problems with 12 volt is due to low voltage issues. If its 120volt just get a simple inverter ive ran my diesel fired units off them for years troublefree.
Id prob steer clear of amtex ive seen to many people with issues.

Reactions: gasmaster5000

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
Thank you sir. I must say, I was impressed with Ben Saney's design of a slide plate to easily replace the joy couplers, and his FB video chat while we toured his warehouse. I also like his idea of using this method of communication for tech support as well. I'm pretty handy when it comes to repairs and have never taken any of my truckmounts into shops for repairs in about seven years or so and am well aware of having to work out bugs for a little while in new truckmounts as I have done it with EVERY truckmount I have ever owned. The Amtex Dragon 3D and his Marine 4047 "appear" to be well thought out and simple designs. I talked to Ben for a little while and he definitely knows his stuff, although his accent makes some of the conversation slightly problematic. Because I am handy fixing and modifying things, I'm tempted to purchase one of his units as it is probably the closest reasonable facsimile to an El Diablo (which I adore...but they too have their issues). Thank you for the feedback on the your experiences with inverter powered burners, I appreciate it.

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
For Example, I switched out many motherboards on my El Diablo before I figured out that they are extremely heat sensitive. I mounted an airmover upside down on the ceiling of the van and plugged it into the extra outlet of the generator to expel hot air from the van during operation and haven't lost a motherboard since.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Not a conventional truckmount Guy here . Before I spent any money I’d PM Johnny Bravo and speak with him about his experience. Been here awhile and know who to trust and who’s full of it . I’d trust John Sheridan with my life . JMHO .
All the Best , Ed

Reactions: gasmaster5000

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
I just purchased a new Ford Transit 350 Ecoboost extended with high top and am pissed I cant get an El Diablo to go in it : (

Reactions: SRD

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
Not a conventional truckmount Guy here . Before I spent any money I’d PM Johnny Bravo and speak with him about his experience. Been here awhile and know who to trust and who’s full of it . I’d trust John Sheridan with my life . JMHO .
All the Best , Ed
Thanks Ed,
I read about Johnny Bravo's experience prior to posting this thread. Besides service issues, I'm more concerned with "terminal design" issues and various flaws to be aware of. When I started out in business 20 years ago, I used heat exchangers...and will never go that rout again. Used Little Giants, and had an employee almost kill himself gassing up the truck with the pilot light on...plus getting propane is a pain in the ass. I'm open to different designs etc. on diesel fired units and need to be pointed in the right direction as far as manufacturers go.

Reactions: Common janitor

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
By the way, sorry if I posted this thread in the wrong location. Admins please feel free to move it if necessary. I'm not a troll either. My name is Eric O'Bryan and I live in Denton, TX
Company website is chooseobryans.com

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Thanks Ed,
I read about Johnny Bravo's experience prior to posting this thread. Besides service issues, I'm more concerned with "terminal design" issues and various flaws to be aware of. When I started out in business 20 years ago, I used heat exchangers...and will never go that rout again. Used Little Giants, and had an employee almost kill himself gassing up the truck with the pilot light on...plus getting propane is a pain in the ass. I'm open to different designs etc. on diesel fired units and need to be pointed in the right direction as far as manufacturers go.
Good man . Todd our “ Admin Super Moderator “ would be a real good one too . Man is like a truckmount encyclopedia and actually worked in a factory building them . Has since built and rebuilt them !!
All the Best , Ed

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
By the way, sorry if I posted this thread in the wrong location. Admins please feel free to move it if necessary. I'm not a troll either. My name is Eric O'Bryan and I live in Denton, TX
Company website is chooseobryans.com
i have a tm ready if your interested...in central texas
text or call if interested......

marcus
512/868-9008

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Something else to consider is the tcs chief2 has a liquid cooled diesel engine as well... waaaay better option than a air cooled engine.
Another option would be get a machine and just add a stand alone diesel burner ive got a cds with a stand alone burner that i built.. i ordered it without salsa intentionally machine preheats the water to like 150 or so before it hits the burner ive prob got the only cds in the country that will do 300 degrees if i want it to lol

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

gasmaster5000

Jun 26, 2010
TX
Real Name
Eric O'Bryan
Business Location
United States
Something else to consider is the tcs chief2 has a liquid cooled diesel engine as well... waaaay better option than a air cooled engine.
Another option would be get a machine and just add a stand alone diesel burner ive got a cds with a stand alone burner that i built.. i ordered it without salsa intentionally machine preheats the water to like 150 or so before it hits the burner ive prob got the only cds in the country that will do 300 degrees if i want it to lol
SRD, I'm in fact currently eyeballing a TCS Chief 2. I'd just have to have a bigger diesel tank in the truck because my Transit is gasoline. I'm impressed with anyone who can modify something to work for them as you have done. I've done it to some degree with my truckmounts. I'm looking for a truckmount with a small footprint that looks good too. Quick question: Are you saying that you are pre-heating water through your Salsa's heat exchanger prior to running it through your diesel burner? I thought that would totally jack up your thermostat.

Reactions: rob allen

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
SRD, I'm in fact currently eyeballing a TCS Chief 2. I'd just have to have a bigger diesel tank in the truck because my Transit is gasoline. I'm impressed with anyone who can modify something to work for them as you have done. I've done it to some degree with my truckmounts. I'm looking for a truckmount with a small footprint that looks good too. Quick question: Are you saying that you are pre-heating water through your Salsa's heat exchanger prior to running it through your diesel burner? I thought that would totally jack up your thermostat.
No theres no salsa on mine just the coolant heat exchanger it heats the solution up to about 150 as it leaves the machine it then goes into the burner and is bumped up to basically any temp i want it to be highest ive ran it was 280 at 1200psi on some really nasty tile. Most flow switches are only rated for like 160 or 180 even though i was below that i didnt want to take any chances and prematurely wear out a flow switch so i went with a pressure switch rated at 220 i honestly believe the pressure switches are more reliable than the flow switches anyway but its been on the unit since 2015 with zero issues

Reactions: Jim Davisson