Need help with pile distortion on wool rug. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Need help with pile distortion on wool rug.

Jun 20, 2017
Real Name
Nicholas Bokas
I'm dealing with some noticeable pile distortion/shading in a few of the rugs I just cleaned. These rugs had some pile distortion as a pre-existing condition but I may have made it worse. If I cause it, I think it was because I used a squeegee head on a wand to extract, and I pushed outwards from the middle. I don't usually do this, so that's why I suspect this is why it happened.

Regardless the cause, I'd like some advice on how to fix it. My current plan is to soak them again (because this would make the pile reset easier) and use that same squeegee head to pull the fibers all in the same direction. There's probably a better solution and I'm seeking any advice. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Reactions: fashion79

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Why not rewet it and extract like normal

TLC CARPET CLEANING

Dec 3, 2010
vermont
Real Name
Leon Turmel
Business Location
United States
It looks like you groomed it out from two different directions. The nap of the rug fiber should be groomed in the direction it normally lays flat. The light reflection is what is making it look shaded.

Re-wet the rug and extract it, then brush it out with the lay of nap. One way it stands up, the other it lays flat.
Lay it flat to get it to look normal in the light.

Hope this helps.

Jun 20, 2017
Real Name
Nicholas Bokas
Thanks guys. Yeah I was planning on re-wetting them so I can reset the nap direction. Normally I'd just soak them again, but to save time I was considering just using an upholstery tool. Might this work, or should I just soak like normal?

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

fashion79

Apr 29, 2017
Real Name
Sergio Faccenda
I'm dealing with some noticeable pile distortion/shading in a few of the rugs I just cleaned. These rugs had some pile distortion as a pre-existing condition but I may have made it worse. If I cause it, I think it was because I used a squeegee head on a wand to extract, and I pushed outwards from the middle. I don't usually do this, so that's why I suspect this is why it happened.

Regardless the cause, I'd like some advice on how to fix it. My current plan is to soak them again (because this would make the pile reset easier) and use that same squeegee head to pull the fibers all in the same direction. There's probably a better solution and I'm seeking any advice. Thanks in advance!
It's wool, silk, ryon or mercerized cotton

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Yea re wetting is a pain but have had to do that as well. Kind of a bummer but I used my spotter and brush it correctly. Good job on the correction!
My only suggestion is do a fiber test before even getting started during your pre inspection. @Scott W see your class helped me! Lol