Need help with my own carpet to be cleaned

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 23, 2018
Real Name
Kyle mason
Here is the deal I have a 2 small children and 2 large dogs plus my self ( all slobs) would say the wife too but she mayb looking over my shoulder.. I have been paying to have my carpets cleaned every few months but don’t feel like they are spending the time to really get it clean so I want to build my own extractor I have plenary of power at my house as far as single phase power goes.. so what I am asking is what kind of motor set up should I use for extractor tank. Open to either gas powered or electric but would love to stay under 2k build only have to run about 60 ft of hose. Plus I am using a 3gpm 2800 psi cat pump pressure washer. Turned down to 900psi with faucet hot water. 140 degrees at the twin tips on the(cheap wand off of eBay for $200) Was using twin shop vacs but taking to long to dry (over 24 hours) was thinking 2x2 2 stage 8.4 vacuum motors but just a thought like I said plenty of 240 volt service to run it with. Any suggestions would be great thank you in advance and sorry if this has been talked about b4.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
You can find a good used portable for around $1,000, it might be easier to go that route than build your own.

If you do build your own you need to drop that pressure down more. 900 psi is too much for carpet. Psi will vary depending on the wand you are using but usually 400-600 psi is all you will need. 900 psi is part of your problem with the long dry time.

I’m not an expert on portable vac motors, I think the portable I have has two 2 stage vac motors. I’m sure others will chime in with what vac motors work best.

Don’t waste any money trying to increase your heat. Electric heaters usually provide only a minimal amount of added heat. The hot water from your tap will Work just fine.

A couple tips for DIY cleaning:

First, vacuum really good moving half as fast as you normally do. Get a pump sprayer and use it to apply your prespray. Don’t over soap, a little does good but too much can cause you problems. If you are maintaining your carpet every few months you should be able to prespray 4-6 rooms with a 2 gallon pump sprayer. Apply the prespray, agitate (a push broom can Work well as an agitator if you don’t have access to a scrubber), allow a 10 minute dwell time, then start cleaning. Rinse well with the wand using just water or even better add a rinse agent. Do plenty of dry strokes. Use fans to move the air and speed up the drying process.

Here are a couple links to chemicals that will Work good for you. One container of soap should be enough to clean your house 15-20 times. Mix it at one scoop per gallon in your pump sprayer. If your carpet is not heavily soiled you can cut that down to 1/2 to 3/4 scoop per gallon. Don’t ever mix in more than a scoop per gallon.

Prespray:

https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CC18A

Rinse:

https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CR12GL

Feb 3, 2018
Real Name
Aaron Baum
Personally I would just look on craigslist and find a used portable extractor. Normally sold with hoses. Way easier than trying to build your own unit. Just my opinion. You can look around the forums for suggestions on which one to buy.

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Here is the deal I have a 2 small children and 2 large dogs plus my self ( all slobs) would say the wife too but she mayb looking over my shoulder.. I have been paying to have my carpets cleaned every few months but don’t feel like they are spending the time to really get it clean so I want to build my own extractor I have plenary of power at my house as far as single phase power goes.. so what I am asking is what kind of motor set up should I use for extractor tank. Open to either gas powered or electric but would love to stay under 2k build only have to run about 60 ft of hose. Plus I am using a 3gpm 2800 psi cat pump pressure washer. Turned down to 900psi with faucet hot water. 140 degrees at the twin tips on the(cheap wand off of eBay for $200) Was using twin shop vacs but taking to long to dry (over 24 hours) was thinking 2x2 2 stage 8.4 vacuum motors but just a thought like I said plenty of 240 volt service to run it with. Any suggestions would be great thank you in advance and sorry if this has been talked about b4.
Two 8.4 vacs are great, about the greatest you can get.

Below, check out what I mean. I have 2 8.4's on my Nautilus, and it is excellent.

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
Applaud your enthusiasm but...... buy a used one or a cheaper new one. Not worth the time building your own.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
If you have a $2k budget anyway, you can get a good portable for that. Something with dual 3 stage vacs and 300 psi will do everything you need. You can find a machine used with those specs for about $1k. If you want more suction then dual 8.4" will do it for sure. Not as many units out there with the big vacs though and they will probably be priced over $2k used if you can find one. The nautilus has the dual 8.4" vacs and 500 psi. Its a great machine.

Like Todd said, that 900PSI was probably a big part of the reason you had a long dry time. A good portable unit using a 500psi, 1gpm (or less) pump can over wet your carpet. I use 150 - 300 psi on carpet.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
900 psi with a shop vac, u sure it didnt take a week to dry

for a portable you should really be at like 300, for a shop vac like 50

must have been soaked

Jan 23, 2018
Real Name
Kyle mason
Thank you all for the chime in on this I will start looking for something used or new, may be that quad 6.6 Goliath or the dual 8.4 nautilus..

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I know your goal is to try to get the right equipment setup, but since you're not doing this full time...why don't you just try to use another company?

Can you give us a description of how professional this previous company was and what their process was with the equipment they brought in your home? This is just a thought, because if it were as easy as just buying a pressure washer and putting together some vacuum motors, then guys like us wouldn't purchase gas powered machines that range from $16k-$35k.

So have you used any other businesses besides this one, and what's your thoughts on giving another company a try? The reason I'm looking at your problem from this angle is, you said that you have this service every few months, and it seems to be organic stains and smells from your household, which should be very easy to keep that carpet looking and smelling almost new if it's maintained that often.

Jan 23, 2018
Real Name
Kyle mason
I have used zero Rez and Stainley steamer along with some mom and pop people it usually cost any where from 150 to 250 to clean the house (large front room ,three beds and long hallway) and about two hours with me moving furniture but keep in mind our family is very active between the large dogs and my two kids and me coming in from my water well business each day.. so to clean the carpets as often as I do it’s starting to add up quickly. If I had my own equipment may even do it as often as every month..and I was looking at pd blowers such as I use with my hydroexcuvation rig.. then found a multi vacuume motor set up like the 8.4 two stage motors for 159.00 each from clean right or the dual stage 6.6 motor from steambtight for 100.00 I can build a evac setup pretty cheap compared to the 150 to 250 every time I need it done..

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
It sounds like you're a very clean individual, which is so much better than the majority of our population. People will clean their carpet every 18-24months if they don't keep up with it. To cut on the cost...have you thought about asking the carpet cleaning company to get on a monthly (touch up) schedule? I offer this to my customers. I come once/month, clean 1-2rooms open areas only (only moving small items), and cleaning the whole house once/year. It cuts the cost down dramatically, and maintains your carpet so much better without you having to worry about making sure your carpet is properly cleaned.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
If you want some free premium products let me know. I’ll send you some and feel free to call me or use our live chat on www.tmfshop.net. Also we have a YouTube channel with over 350 helpful free videos. www.youtube/truckmountforums

Also if you need training we have the only full diverse service fully streamable online training academy. You get 200 free products with each class. Good luck.

Latest posts