Need Help On Stubborn Carpet

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
Hey everyone,

So I have this carpet floor that the customer uses as their entrance. I am not sure on the type of carpet/mats they are, the customer just told me they are suppose to work good with water. It has been getting worse as time has gone by, and I have tried to HWE with my portable, and looks decent when wet, but when it dries within a few hours it goes back to how it was before.

1. Anyone have suggestions on what type of carpet it is? The carpet feels extremely ruff when moving my hand over it. It is by the entrance and in between doors.
2. What chemicals and cleaning process would be best to get this cleaned?

Thank you!

Floor1.jpg
Floor2.jpg
Floor3.jpg
Floor4.jpg

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
That looks like olefin and it appears that it had a water damage at some point. If so, spray it down with a tannin stain remover/brown out and go over it with bonnets. If you do not have a floor machine, still spray the carpet down, wait a few minutes then rinse and extract it using the same brown out in your rinse/portable. That should solve your problem.

Reactions: smartcarpetcare

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Carpet tiles, could be olefin or nylon. The backing will be moisture proof and also blocks air flow. With no air coming through the backing, it will be difficult to get good results with HWE> I would use Brush Pro CRB or an OP machine along with Encapuclean O2 or Encapuclean Green Double Strength.

Reactions: smartcarpetcare

Madenman

Oct 12, 2016
Real Name
Robert Cotton
I do agree with the moisture comments from above but happens all the time here in Minneapolis from all the snow and salt that gets dragged in. Generally the only way I can get that taken care of is take a super super long time with a rotovac 360 and go over it multiple times and dry it as fast as possible. The flush is the most important

Reactions: Jasons468

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
That looks like olefin and it appears that it had a water damage at some point. If so, spray it down with a tannin stain remover/brown out and go over it with bonnets. If you do not have a floor machine, still spray the carpet down, wait a few minutes then rinse and extract it using the same brown out in your rinse/portable. That should solve your problem.
Hey thanks for replying @OldCarpetVet

The floor machines I have is a 175 and a Orbot Vibe. Do you have a tanning stain remover chemical brand that you recommend?

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
Carpet tiles, could be olefin or nylon. The backing will be moisture proof and also blocks air flow. With no air coming through the backing, it will be difficult to get good results with HWE> I would use Brush Pro CRB or an OP machine along with Encapuclean O2 or Encapuclean Green Double Strength.

@Scott W I got a brush pro and a Orbot vibe. If I use the Orbot Vibe would you recommend a Superzorb pad or which? I will look into getting Encapuclean since I currently never tried it before.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
@SMCommerical

Yes. I have used Matrix Target for decades with near perfect success. It is an excellent tannin (not tanninG) stain remover that can be diluted to your specific needs. Much better than a RTU. Please do not substitute the tannin stain remover with an acid rinse. They are not the same. An acid rinse is simply not aggressive enough for what you are trying to accomplish.

As for your floor machine choice...either is fine, though I usually prefer a 175 over an orbital. But that's me.

Lastly I highly recommend Bonnet Pros 100% cotton bonnets. They are the best in the business.

If you plan on providing a VLM encapsulation cleaning after the browning/water stains are removed, I also suggest Bonnet Pros Surround products. They are game changers.

Good luck and let us know the results

Last edited:

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
@Scott W I got a brush pro and a Orbot vibe. If I use the Orbot Vibe would you recommend a Superzorb pad or which? I will look into getting Encapuclean since I currently never tried it before.

I am not sure of the name of the pads from all the competitors. At my age I barely remember the names of the things our company sells. But, I think the pads from HOS / Orbot are pretty good and I have tried some excellent pads from John the Rocket man.

I think you will like the Encapuclean. The Encapuclean O2 is the best version when dealing with stains from water, coffee, teas, soft drinks and such. But for overall cleaning, I like Encapuclean green DS (Double strength).

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
I have a similar problem in the exact same situation. Only difference are the tiles are made of horse hair. These things lock salt and mud in so bad they cannot be cleaned. It gets so cold between the doors in the winter you can’t clean them and by spring there screwed. I told the customer it would be cheaper to replace the flooring between the doors than for me to keep trying to clean them. Worst flooring I’ve ever had to deal with.