Need help on my first major bid!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Nehemiahq

Jul 31, 2018
Edinburg, tx
Real Name
Nehemiah Quiroga
I received a call yesterday from a local school to quote them a price to clean the carpets at their campus. I went and inspected the campus and counted 13 classrooms with a total of 7,622 squared ft. We will be moving a few tables and chairs on some of the classrooms. I'm currently cleaning with a portable and a 175. This is my first big job and I want to make sure I quote something that works for both parties. I was thinking about charging at about $.15 per squared foot. What do you guys think? I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks for any help, you guys have been a big help getting this company going!

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
For me a big or small job I calculate how many hours it will take and what I need to make per hour. I usually up it by 10-20% just in case I have any issues. If you win every bid your too low. I do take into consideration however the long term advantage of a business contact and relationship. For example I’m trading a carpet job to the busiest realtor in our area to be the exclusive business that gets to put business cards directly on her front desk. She sells mostly high end high value homes. She’s a aggressive marketer, with a well known name. That “prime real estate” should win me a lot more business then charging her. She jumped on it. So every job Is different.

Last edited:

Nehemiahq

Jul 31, 2018
Edinburg, tx
Real Name
Nehemiah Quiroga
Thanks for your input! The classrooms are al different is size some are larger than others. That being said I plan on knocking two rooms per hour. Which comes out to about 200 per hour. But charging the 10-20% extra is a good idea in case I face the unexpected.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Schools are pretty budget conscious. Sometimes even more so if they are depending on a parent organization to help cover some or all of the cost.

I quoted my full regular price on schools. I explained my higher than the competition pricing was necessary to deliver the quality of work. Then explained that I was a supporter of education and wanted the children to have clean environment that was conducive to learning. So, I would give a 25% to 30% discount.

I got the first school I bid on an many other schools in the area when the word got around to the parent teacher groups that raised funds for some of the cleaning and maintenance.

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Usually for a job that size I would charge $.16-$.17 per sq. ft. depending on the condition of the carpet. And that's with a TM.

Nehemiahq

Jul 31, 2018
Edinburg, tx
Real Name
Nehemiah Quiroga
It's just a estimation like I said. Most of the sq ft is 2 huge rooms other than that all the other rooms are pretty small. So I know those two bigrooms will take longer than an hr for sure. I'm still trying to get how many sqft I can get done in an hr, this will be the first large area we will be working on. But your right once I run the number that's a tall task to do in an hr. Dream clean what would you charge with a portable? The carpets aren't in bad shape I believe they got new carpets sometime in January. They do have a few organic stains on them.

Nehemiahq

Jul 31, 2018
Edinburg, tx
Real Name
Nehemiah Quiroga
Scott i will take that into consideration. This is a vocational school however so I believe I'll save that discount for the district's schools or private schools.

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
With a portable I would up it a few cents but that's because it would be too far to reach with a truck and mainly for my inconvenience. For you the 15-17 is probably a good range still. I've been doing this about 6 years but only need a portable every few months so my efficiency isn't the best but I can still probably do around 400-500 sq. ft. an hour including fill, dump, and prespray times.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Seriously consider bonnet cleaning this job. Charge the same as you would to hwe. Very common practice to reduce the price some as the square footage goes up with most cleaners I know. If you are organized you can do this job in 6-8 hours solo the first time, if you vacuum beforehand.

goomer

Feb 16, 2009
Pelham Bay, Bronx New York
www.pelhambaycarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Frank Mendo
Business Location
United States
I was thinking about charging at about $.15 per squared foot. What do you guys think? I'm open to any suggestions.
Get sq ft pricing out of your head for now.

Accurate sq ft pricing is only possible once one has already established their avg production rates per hour are, and have established not a sq ft price, but a sq ft price "range" for production rates/hour under different conditions.

You have not established these for yourself yet.

The faster you do it the better.

The sooner you get a half dozen lager jobs under your belt the sooner you will have the experience and data to bid future jobs more accurately and confidently.

Bid conservatively to increase your chance of landing it because you can't put a price on the value of what you will learn from tackling a job like this when you have never done so.

Sep 22, 2015
Real Name
Rory henderson
I just did an assisted living facility that coit dropped the ball on 3,000 square feet i charged $0.35 a square foot they didn't tell me coit had just done it until after I was done,I used my tm took me 4 hours they loved the work now I have all 5 of there other facilities in the area. I think I could have gotten more I'm sure coit did

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
you need to cut your bid in half and you still might not get it

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I always ask directly, what is your budget? When I get that I figure my CODB and determine if it’s worth it to me and to them.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
agree with rob

ask them their budget or you are wasting your time.......!!!!!

I do a school every year.....around 35 rooms....move chairs against the walls.....
I was charging 60$ a room......one year they dropped me for someone else......

called them back next year and dropped it to 40$ room.....since I knew them....
since I have done it before I do it faster and still make 100$ an hour......same per hour

I would suggest meeting whatever budget they have and use it as a paid training program for larger jobs.......

suggestion:
I got a job like this when I first started out...a theater......
went down and bought a Truckmount...and figured 1500$ off the price of the Truckmount
before I did the job......

Nehemiahq

Jul 31, 2018
Edinburg, tx
Real Name
Nehemiah Quiroga
Thanks for all the input guys, I agree with you groomer about getting the sqft pricing out of myhead for now just wanted to make sure I didn't go too low and regret it later. We do have some history with this school so we have that our advantage. I had given them .15 pricing and he said to take time and make sure that works for us. So planning on giving a slightly higher price to give them a discount to make it seem were helping them out as well.