Need help fast

Kevin De Medeiros

Dec 17, 2010
Ontario
Real Name
Kevin De Medeiros
Business Location
United States
Honestly Rob this chic sounds like she's trying to get away with not paying. That shitty tile floor looks good but I would offer her a reclean just to make her happy. But that's about it. As for the transition, I would not touch it. That thing looks beat up and she's just trying to get you to repair it for free. And the irobot she can't prove u did it so just leave it alone. You gotta be tough with these types of clients cause they will walk all over you.

Reactions: rob allen

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Rob, it looks like the grout has a crappy paint job on it. Look closely at the grout along the transition in the first pic. Now look at the grout perpendicular going down.

It looks like someone tried to paint it a brighter white color and the original color is a darker beige. Your tech just took off the crappy paint job. Not your fault. I don't know about the transition and the crappy robot

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
I'd upsells her on a new tile job, that stuff is horrendous. The realtor will back you up.

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Rob, a couple of years ago you posted a similar situation. As I remember it, you replaced the threshold and it cost you like $20 and your time. That just appears to be the color of the grout. Maybe Stinky Steemer color sealed it. Maybe her memory is faulty. Either way, reclean it and replace the transition and move on.

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
He tried to wipe off the iRobot but it wouldn't budge with an acid rinse. But she says its stainless steel so prob need something else if it is.
If it really is stainless, it shouldn't have stained. If it is, a little Meguiars Cleaner wax will take care of it. I really suspect it's plastic though... in which case, wipe it down with wd40 and it will shine like new. (this also works on your old faded head lights) I'd still slap it in the eyeball with a lazer light too. Although, if she turns it on while you're still there and it devours her cat's tail or something... try not to laugh.:rolleyes:

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
No way in hell a roomba is stainless! Transition was probably a mess to start with. Tell her that I doubt we damaged it but I will take care of it. Sand it and refinish or replace it. As far as the grout - stanley probably effed it up to start with.

Oct 5, 2015
Real Name
scott allan
These are what I use to clean up stainless steel stuff. The degreaser removes the sins and the window cleaner removes the degreaser. IMG_20160506_240652525.jpg

SunnyDays Carpet Cleaning

Aug 23, 2014
Real Name
David Dubois
If I went on the defensive Im sure she wouldn't let me back.
I do agree that she is looking to take advantage of the tech.
You could do what I did last month, just give crazy lady money back. Sent her a check for the full amount. The funny part is she still hasn't cashed the check. Maybe she gotten a guilty conscience.

Reactions: Mike Krall

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Good advice. Not being a woodworker is there anything I can say to show her it takes time for transition to look that bad?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Or can I clean the transition and put some water based poly on it?

Mardie

Oct 31, 2013
Real Name
Mardie VanBree
Or can I clean the transition and put some water based poly on it?

Gee Rob it looks like your worker got you into some big trouble.:( It does not look like you will be able to dig yourself out of this one.:sneaky: Looks to me like your worker just bought you a new tile and hardwood floor along with irreparable damage to your reputation. :eek:Have you thought about sending your workers out to some classes so this will not happen again?;)

longkenn

May 7, 2011
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
I do see the obvious places in the picture where it has a circular pattern on the transition. It has it in about three places. Sand it with a sanding block, use 80 grit paper, then sand it with 120 grit. Apply stain according to directions on can. Minwax has it in small quantities for such occasions. Then put polyurethane on it. It will require two trips. Your other option is to replace the transition. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get one. Remove and Replace. Done.

Last edited:

longkenn

May 7, 2011
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Another options is to have a furniture repair person go out and do the work. They can knock it out without you having to learn how to refinish wood. Or hire a handyman to do it. It is not a huge deal. The trip charge will be more than the materials and labor.

I just sanded and stained and applied poly to a customer's floor. It started out as a clean and recoat. It had residue from the carpet pad on the floor. I made the incorrect assumption it would be like others I had done. Nope! The stinking pad had been there for many years and the black specks in the pad had leached into the finish on the floor and penetrated through to the wood. I ended up doing about $800 - $900 dollars worth of work for free. Oh, what fun! I lost my shirt on that job, but I won customer loyalty. I didn't charge the customer extra for sanding and refinish. It was my fault for not testing an area to see what I was getting into. I made the assumption that I was going to just do what I had done in the past with such situations.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
You can also fond a stain and poly in one step product. Not the best stuff for large projects but would work in this case - sand and apply. Transition strips get beat up pretty fast in general - refinishing them is just part of home maint.