Need help bidding on this glue down carpet job. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Need help bidding on this glue down carpet job.

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
I have installed carpet on several occasions but not in this many rooms, normally I replace single rooms in rentals. I'm having a issue in figuring out a reasonable bid.
4 rooms total of glue down commercial carpet.

local carpet cost is $10.00 a linear foot 1ft by 12' wide.

room 1 is 6' x 11'
room 2 is 10' x 15'
room 3 is 10' x 15'
room 4 is 10' x 9'
also need to figure glue in at 30.00 a bucket

Floor is bare concrete so no tear out is needed.

Tile Professional

Mar 19, 2009
Lacrosse Wi
Real Name
Andrew Abt
Business Location
United States
As far as labor goes....it is hard to get more than $5 a yard (including glue).
That is in Wisconsin though.

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
Exactly considering all things I may just pass on this job it's a little bit outside my comfort zone

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Exactly considering all things I may just pass on this job it's a little bit outside my comfort zone
It's important to know when to pass the ball or punt. Sounds like punting and playing defense for awhile till next time is probably sound advice to yourself Joe.

Sonny Cohen

Jun 29, 2010
New York
Real Name
Sonny
Business Location
United States
Is there a rip out? Make sure you charge for it because that can be brutally labor intensive and time consuming if it is glued down. Just had one yesterday matter of fact and it sucked

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sonny Cohen

Jun 29, 2010
New York
Real Name
Sonny
Business Location
United States
Sorry just read floor is bare concrete, never mind my previous post.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

leofloors

Apr 21, 2007
Placerville, Ca
www.tile-cleaning-pros.com
Real Name
Marc Leonetti
12x46' roll needed is $460 your cost.
2-3 buckets of glue at $30/bucket is $90 max. Total out of pocket is $550 plus tax. I would mark that up 25% for material profit. This brings it up to $690 plus tax. Labor would be $310 at $5/yd. I would probably factor in an hour of floor prep and a bag of Ardex (floor patch) too. Unless it isn't needed or really bad. Just an estimate. This would be $125. Grand total would be $1125. Should take 2-3 hours to complete by a professional installer.

Don't forget the tax...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TA152H

Jun 17, 2010
New York
Real Name
Rich
Business Location
United States
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees. Take a chance. Be uncomfortable.

You don't punt on third down. Throw a bomb, if it gets intercepted, it's as good as a punt anyway.

It costs you absolutely nothing to put down a number you are happy with, as opposed to just walking away. If they turn you down, you lost nothing. If you get it, you end up ahead. Where's the logic in just giving up???

Don't go crazy and embarrass yourself with the number, but make a reasonable offer you feel good about, and leave it at that. Maybe it will work out.

P.S. If you can do one room, you can do four rooms. It's just the same thing four times. With confidence, and packing Monster M-80s, you can get all four of them done, and you'll be that much more confident in your next bid.

Reactions: rugslayer

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
I have to go shower for a anniversary dinner. I'll be back with a reply.

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
I have installed carpet on several occasions but not in this many rooms, normally I replace single rooms in rentals. I'm having a issue in figuring out a reasonable bid.
4 rooms total of glue down commercial carpet.

local carpet cost is $10.00 a linear foot 1ft by 12' wide.

room 1 is 6' x 11'
room 2 is 10' x 15'
room 3 is 10' x 15'
room 4 is 10' x 9'
also need to figure glue in at 30.00 a bucket

Floor is bare concrete so no tear out is needed.
What carpet is that at 10 per lineal foot?
On average that's pretty high, I buy for half that all day long.

So you'll be installing about 60 yards of carpet. You should be 5-6.00 a yard.
So maybe 300 for install. You provide glue. One bucket maybe.
You should be about 120 for take up and haul off. Some go easy some not.
Does it need floor prep?

The real struggle you'll have is being competitive with that retail cost on carpet.

You could go very low on labor and I would destroy someone in your position because of our ability to by for half.

Do NOT pass this job up. Find a nice local family owned flooring store and talk to them about helping you on price. Make them your go to guy. If you can't get on par with price pass it to him and make a strategic partnership as his dedicated cleaner and him your carpet guy.

Reactions: rugslayer

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States

So you'll be installing about 60 yards of carpet. You should be 5-6.00 a yard.
So maybe 300 for install. You provide glue. One bucket maybe.
You should be about 120 for take up and haul off. Some go easy some not.
Does it need floor prep?

The real struggle you'll have is being competitive with that retail cost on carpet.

You could go very low on labor and I would destroy someone in your position because of our ability to by for half.

Do NOT pass this job up. Find a nice local family owned flooring store and talk to them about helping you on price. Make them your go to guy. If you can't get on par with price pass it to him and make a strategic partnership as his dedicated cleaner and him your carpet guy.
Thanks Torrey, The only shop here installs also and they do not help anyone! So that leaves me buying from a big box store. So buying carpet at retail is killing me.

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
Thanks Torrey, The only shop here installs also and they do not help anyone! So that leaves me buying from a big box store. So buying carpet at retail is killing me.
Never surrender.

Just ask. If it's a no then ask someone else. Maybe go to a wholesaler and get a sample of a roll thwy have in Stock and try to sell it.

But at the very least give them a fair to you price and see if they take. Put your very personal and friendly guarantee of perfection on it.

Heck offer the first years cleaning package of 2 cleanings for free. A 300 dollar value! Blah blah blah
And see if you can retain them as a long term cleaning contract for future revenue.

Reactions: Joe Kennedy

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
Never surrender.

Just ask. If it's a no then ask someone else. Maybe go to a wholesaler and get a sample of a roll thwy have in Stock and try to sell it.

But at the very least give them a fair to you price and see if they take. Put your very personal and friendly guarantee of perfection on it.

Heck offer the first years cleaning package of 2 cleanings for free. A 300 dollar value! Blah blah blah
And see if you can retain them as a long term cleaning contract for future revenue.
Ok another newb question what the difference between a linear foot and a sq yard square yard? I found a new store here online its showing commercial at 6.79 a sq yard. Its a wholesale flooring warehouse :)

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
Ok another newb question what the difference between a linear foot and a sq yard square yard? I found a new store here online its showing commercial at 6.79 a sq yard. Its a wholesale flooring warehouse :)
A sq yard is 9 sqft. (3x3)

So a lineal foot of 12' goods would would be 12 sqft.

So 10.00 per lineal foot of 12 goods, is $7.51 a yard. (Or about) so it's a better price but not huge. They are still making a buck of corse.

So your gonna be able to be fair. Maybe not "cheap" but sell yourself. And I really like the Ida of offering a cleaning guarantee. Tell them you'll guarantee spot and spills for one year! They will probably never call. But if they do atleast they will be using you for cleaning then and later!

That could add huge value to the sale and win it over.

Joe Kennedy

Staff member
Dec 11, 2011
Arizona
Real Name
Joe K
Business Location
United States
I just submitted the bid on it and offered the two cleanings "keep it clean for a year" bonus. Lets see what happens

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
I just submitted the bid on it and offered the two cleanings "keep it clean for a year" bonus. Lets see what happens
Im glad you took a swing at it. The worse that happens is they say no because your higher, but atleast they will know you and that you clean.

Keep that email and contact name and follow up in a week. And drop a quartly reminder on cleaning.

Tile Professional

Mar 19, 2009
Lacrosse Wi
Real Name
Andrew Abt
Business Location
United States
What carpet do you buy for $4 per yard??
I find remnant packages at that rate or less but not from a mill.(anything decent anyways)
For us up here $7.50 per yard carpet is dirt cheap stuff.....most starts at $10 for nylon commercial stuff IMO.