Need gurus about Travertine situation.

Jrod Hendo

Jul 3, 2018
Real Name
Jerrod Henderson
A customer of mine has Travertine floor through out her house. She also had a high gloss finish applied to it. She called me out to look at her floors. The gloss was peeling up so she wanted me to strip it off then apply another finish. I explained to her that Travertine floor need to be buffed and polished. She didn’t want that so I applied several coats of high gloss finish. She has called me again and wanted to know what to do about some “pits” in the floor. I was told the product Traverfill can be used but doesn’t always match the floor? Is this true? She is very particular. Would another option be just filling the pits with the high gloss sealer? This is a unique situation since you don’t usually puts high gloss sealers on Travertine. Please help.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
A customer of mine has Travertine floor through out her house. She also had a high gloss finish applied to it. She called me out to look at her floors. The gloss was peeling up so she wanted me to strip it off then apply another finish. I explained to her that Travertine floor need to be buffed and polished. She didn’t want that so I applied several coats of high gloss finish. She has called me again and wanted to know what to do about some “pits” in the floor. I was told the product Traverfill can be used but doesn’t always match the floor? Is this true? She is very particular. Would another option be just filling the pits with the high gloss sealer? This is a unique situation since you don’t usually puts high gloss sealers on Travertine. Please help.
Travertine naturally has holes. Larger ones get filled at the factory. The more expensive, highly polished tiles are usually completely filled.
If it's lower end then you will never fill them all.
If you do decide to fill some then use tenax, it gives a way better finish than the grout type fillers.

Jrod Hendo

Jul 3, 2018
Real Name
Jerrod Henderson
Travertine naturally has holes. Larger ones get filled at the factory. The more expensive, highly polished tiles are usually completely filled.
If it's lower end then you will never fill them all.
If you do decide to fill some then use tenax, it gives a way better finish than the grout type fillers.
After I apply the Tenax then I assume I would need to put her sealer back over it?

Johnaplcleaning

Aug 6, 2018
Real Name
john lambrakis
It will not match the floor and she will be unhappy. I used to sell travertine and there are loosely 3 varieties. All have pits that are sometimes fully, sometimes partially filled with the dust that is leftover from the cutting process. There are dissolved minerals that cause color changes and veins. She is unrealistic and there no way short of rehoning, then refilling the holes. Punt while you can.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner