Need feedback on equipment i am looking to start with | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Need feedback on equipment i am looking to start with

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
I am starting my business here in the next couple weeks. A local CC that also owns the supply store in town here that also install truck mounts, has his older set up for sale. It is a 1998 Ford extended van with 177k miles on it. Van is in really nice shape with no dents and very minor rust inside the door where the tm is located. It has a 4-5 year old prochem peak with around 2k hours on it. It is turn key with vac hose, solution hose, water softener, wand, etc. He is looking to get 11k for the entire package. I know since he installs truck mounts and does maintance on most of the cleaners vans in town, that it was taken care of and serviced. Is that a lot of hours for a tm? Is the prochem peak a good machine?

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Not alot of hours but I think he is asking about 2-3k too much.
Van is worth 2k tops. TM .... not worth 9k.
I would have a hard time spending more than 7k on the whole setup.
What else does the TM come with ( fresh water tank? Reels? ? APO?)
Not to sure about Prochem Peak ( think it's an entry level TM??)

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
It also includes fresh water tank, reels, all hoses etc. also included I was told was a $1200 pro chem wand. I am assuming it's a titanium wand. I believe the pro chems peaks are a higher model, not entry level. Looks like they are around 25k new.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Sounding better. Yes I checked the Peaks specs and it is a nice sized TM.
I think reliability is always the biggest concern. Van and TM could give you years of trouble free ( mostly) service or could crap out in a year. Van may go quicker and nice thing the slidein can be put into newer van if needed.
Sounds like van is clean for the age.

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
Yea that is the only think that concerns me is the van, and mileage. It looks nice and is in very nice condition, just hope it doesn't nickel and dime me to death! But I guess I am willing to take that chance before I drop 15-20k on a newer van.

bojangles

May 21, 2012
payson, az
Real Name
brian m
the peak should be a good machine, if it was well maintined.

the ford is probly a piece of junk, at best, lol.

spend a few extra dollars and have a qualified mechanic look them over for a day. it could save years of hearache, but like our recent friend redbeard here who just bought a lemon.

it sounds like an ok, deal, maybe try to wiggle down a bit.

here's the thing. you could buy a used van for 5 or 6k, and finance a TM for 4-500 a month. sometimes that's better than. you'll still have 5-6k in your pocket for other expenses, like winter and advertising. while that payment can bleed you, having extra cash in a start up can help.

i'm not sure of your financial position, but warranties are nice if you finance.

maybe you have money to burn and it doesn't matter, in that case, i'd like a peak.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Guys that already have their equipment are looking for a steal of a deal. The price is fair. You might do better if you waited and searched, but you would also miss making a lot of dollars while you searched for a better deal.

Since he does mechanic work, ask him to throw in a years worth of service with no cost for the labor.

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
Thanks for your opinions. Not a bad idea Scott!