Need Cargo trailer advice for carpet cleaning | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Need Cargo trailer advice for carpet cleaning

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Cargo Trailers,

I'm in the market for one, for my carpet cleaning business. Are there any truly great ones for hauling anything, especially carpet cleaning equipment? I heard that trailers sway in the wind, and if not loaded right, and if it is only a one axel trailer, etc. I also heard that V fronts can cause more sway as well. Thank you for any insight on this subject. Patrick

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I have a trailer set-up. the machine needs to sit as close to axle as possible. I only have on axle. Until I learned how to properly drive while pulling the trailer I never had problems. You need to drive straight and when you do sway just slow down and it will stop. I have enclosed 12x8.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
Cargo Trailers,

I'm in the market for one, for my carpet cleaning business. Are there any truly great ones for hauling anything, especially carpet cleaning equipment? I heard that trailers sway in the wind, and if not loaded right, and if it is only a one axel trailer, etc. I also heard that V fronts can cause more sway as well. Thank you for any insight on this subject. Patrick
You need your trailer and tow vehicle to be as level with one another as possible. You need the proper tounge weight. A good set of weight distribution bars can help achieve this. It also helps with the swaying with a sway bar.

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
I started with a cargo trailer and it didn't take me long to move everything to a cargo van. If I was doing commercial work 95% of the time a cargo trailer would fit my needs. Residential I didn't like the longer hose runs from the street. I did backup in driveways once in a while but didn't care for it. I was more worried about running over a neighbor kid. You have to start somewhere. I would definitely put a high quality backup camera on the back of the trailer and make sure my business is LLC.

I have owned long travel trailers and fifth wheel campers so I'm no dummy to backing up trailers. I just did not want to make a mistake while doing business an back over someone or something.

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
I have a trailer set-up. the machine needs to sit as close to axle as possible. I only have on axle. Until I learned how to properly drive while pulling the trailer I never had problems. You need to drive straight and when you do sway just slow down and it will stop. I have enclosed 12x8.
Ok, so you are saying that the weighty stuff needs to be over the trailer axle, for stabilization of weight while moving, vs. fishtailing etc.

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
You need your trailer and tow vehicle to be as level with one another as possible. You need the proper tounge weight. A good set of weight distribution bars can help achieve this. It also helps with the swaying with a sway bar.
Ok, I will look into this further.

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
I started with a cargo trailer and it didn't take me long to move everything to a cargo van. If I was doing commercial work 95% of the time a cargo trailer would fit my needs. Residential I didn't like the longer hose runs from the street. I did backup in driveways once in a while but didn't care for it. I was more worried about running over a neighbor kid. You have to start somewhere. I would definitely put a high quality backup camera on the back of the trailer and make sure my business is LLC.

I have owned long travel trailers and fifth wheel campers so I'm no dummy to backing up trailers. I just did not want to make a mistake while doing business an back over someone or something.
Ok thanks. I appreciate your experience with this coupled with your safety consciousness. I had some training as a part time mail deliverer years ago, and they were highly concerned about the same thing. Yet, the LLV's, the little funny trucks they gave us to drive, had no windows on the side or back, no backup cameras, and 7 mirrors! One had to look in one mirror, to see the other mirror in the back. Fun stuff! Plus it was boxy up front, which made it hard to see traffic coming from the left or right at an intersection. Hence, we were instructed to always pull up perpendicular (90 degrees) to any street stop, before turning onto it, so our view would not be obstructed by the LLV parts. I much rather liked driving the vans even with cages in it and on the windows. At least I could see a little.

What do you think of a used Chevy Express?

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Ok thanks. I appreciate your experience with this coupled with your safety consciousness. I had some training as a part time mail deliverer years ago, and they were highly concerned about the same thing. Yet, the LLV's, the little funny trucks they gave us to drive, had no windows on the side or back, no backup cameras, and 7 mirrors! One had to look in one mirror, to see the other mirror in the back. Fun stuff! Plus it was boxy up front, which made it hard to see traffic coming from the left or right at an intersection. Hence, we were instructed to always pull up perpendicular (90 degrees) to any street stop, before turning onto it, so our view would not be obstructed by the LLV parts. I much rather liked driving the vans even with cages in it and on the windows. At least I could see a little.

What do you think of a used Chevy Express?
I'm using the extended Chevy express 2500. I have the 4.8 V8. I've owned it since new 2005 and have 70000 miles now on it now without any problems. Has never been in the shop for any kind of repairs. Never has had a check engine light come on since new in 2005. Hope that helps

Reactions: PATRICK YANELLO

Tater

Jan 14, 2014
Real Name
Richard Whithers
I have both. I love my trailor for commercial for sure. Racks on the right bench for supplies and tools, bench in the back holds fans above and generator under it, then Naaaco Beast over the axel on the left. I pull with a yukon and can hardly tell its its behind me..until I brake haha.

Reactions: PATRICK YANELLO