Need advice on hiring in unaffordable ski town

Eric Sprague

Sep 20, 2018
Real Name
Eric Sprague
I need a little advice from the group, please. I am in Sun Valley, ID. We are in need of a few MIT techs before the snow starts flying and the calls start rolling in. The job market here is rough for employers. The area is very unaffordable for techs and there are very few affordable towns on the outskirts. Every business in the valley is vying for the same few potential people. We have been in business since 1968 and have a very good reputation in our area. We have tried all of the traditional avenues to find help with marginal to low levels of success. Any creative ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
We suffer from the same thing here just not as extreme. If your not a high paid tech worker, attorney, trust funder, etc then the city pretty much isnt affordable. Even surrounding cities are expensive for someone making around 3k/month.

Reactions: Eric Sprague

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
commision not hourly....

get a bonzer for employees...little if no learning curve...makes cleaning fun again...
i have said it is easier for a newbie to learn with a bonzer than for a veteran cc

get a hydramaster high flow no trigger upholstery tool...makes uphostery fun again.....

get a lite weigt crb .....makes scrubbing a breeze for homes....and yes fun!!!!

i have said it is easier for a newbie to learn with a bonzer than for a veteran cc

this is the only way I can keep my employees happy and working.......and not complaining...
kinda sad my employees griping at my work when I am an owner operator...lol

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
buy a really nice travel trailer like a grand design 38ft and house your employee somehow on your property lol

not a lot of options I know what Sun Valley is like, maybe Stanley, ID has some people looking for work.. but with a population of 30 idk lol

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
seasonal subcontractors(with their own equipment)its off season for everyone else???

give them free ski tickets for the weekends...
4 days a week work week...3 days off to ski and visit family....
or
hire for the 6 month season with lodging included....

and yes get the easy to use tools...bonzer and no trigger upholstery....(hydramster)
so you wont have to hire experienced CC....

bump your prices up a little to cover it and move that business forward.....for the next 20 years

Last edited:

Rick F

Apr 27, 2011
new york
Real Name
richard fall
Business Location
United States
I lived in Park city for 4 years was a supervisor at a moving company. Same problems as you. The big problem is workers not showing up after a big storm. They dont want to miss a powder day! Goog Luck!

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
what are you paying now for wages?