Need advice on duct cleaning | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Need advice on duct cleaning

Jpalms27

Mar 16, 2017
Real Name
james palmeri
Hi, i recently got my air ducts cleaned. I oaid 300$ to get 7 vents done. Im not satisfied with the results at all. For one they forgot to do the vent in my bathroom. And looking at some of the vents they did too they just look like they could have been a lot cleaner. Now I've been looking into methods to cleaning the air ducts and I've noticed a lot of companies use brushes or other spinning devices to agitate the dust off of the air duct. So I have contacted the guy who came and did my air ducks and told him that he forgot to do the bathroom vent and that I noticed also some settle clumps of dust in the bottoms of other vents and he said he would return to do the vent that he missed. Now I need your advice if you think I should have him redo all of the vents. I'm going to posting pictures and if you could let me know what you guys think I would appreciate it because I'm not sure if I should be satisfied with how clean these events are or if they could be done better thank you very much
20170314_173241.jpg
20170314_173550.jpg
20170314_173550.jpg

Attachments

RafaelDavid

Feb 16, 2017
Real Name
Rafael Newman
Those lines that you see on the bottom look fresh. If you didn't make them then you can bet he just shoved a shop vac hose in there and "hoped"(for lack of a better word) you'd be convinced enough not to look. Regardless of what equipment or methods he might have used, you got ripped off. I plan to offer that service by next year and I hate hearing about these guys shoving six foot of shop vac hose into the supply and calling it clean. And at the same time it means less competition. Go figure.
IIWY, I'd ask for a refund.

Sent from my LGMS550 using TMF Forums mobile app

RafaelDavid

Feb 16, 2017
Real Name
Rafael Newman
Those lines that you see on the bottom look fresh. If you didn't make them then you can bet he just shoved a shop vac hose in there and "hoped"(for lack of a better word) you'd be convinced enough not to look. Regardless of what equipment or methods he might have used, you got ripped off. I plan to offer that service by next year and I hate hearing about these guys shoving six foot of shop vac hose into the supply and calling it clean. And at the same time it means less competition. Go figure.
IIWY, I'd ask for a refund.

I dont think he touched a single wall inside those ducts. Were you there when he was cleaning? And if so what did he use?

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Before you go off on this guy wait for our resident duct cleaning expert to weigh in. There is clearly a difference between the before and after. He did do something.

@emeraldclean

I imagine a more thorough job would cost more than the $300.

I'm not saying this guy did the best job possible, but he may simply be doing what he thinks is the best job.

There is a thought process that if the force of the air compressor matched with a strong vacuum (if he brought in 8" hose he has some sort of actual duct cleaning vacuum) doesn't remove the debris than it will not be dislodged during regular use of the ducts and therefore won't have a negative impact on your air quality.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
You have before and after pics that look exactly the same and you are asking us if you should have them redo all of them :confused:
The picture with the cobwebs is before. There is an after shot with that same duct where those cobwebs are gone.

JandJ Cleaning

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
David L Phillips
Ask him to run a camera through the ducts and give you a recording on a sd card. My camera can go 60 ft. I use a duct master and a sidewinder from Air Care out of Las Vegas

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Jpalms27

Mar 16, 2017
Real Name
james palmeri
Before and after all in one picture so no one gets confused I still definitely think that these need to be cleaner
20170317_013017.jpg

Jpalms27

Mar 16, 2017
Real Name
james palmeri
I want you guys to look this guy up it's company is New York cleanway he has 52 reviews and almost every single one is five star so am I just The Unlucky One or what

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
The picture with the cobwebs is before. There is an after shot with that same duct where those cobwebs are gone.
I'm viewing the pictures on my phone and scrolling up and down. I'm confused on what is before and what is after

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I want you guys to look this guy up it's company is New York cleanway he has 52 reviews and almost every single one is five star so am I just The Unlucky One or what
If you look at their site in their images you see a similar before and after shot. All the large dust and debris is gone but there is still a film of soil left behind.

They did what is many consider an adequate job. They removed what debris would get dislodged and circulated in your air.

Again could they have done more, definitely. But it would have definitely cost you more.

I don't mean to offend, but those ducts seemed particularly neglected, or you have some sort of oily residue in your home causing that sticky film of soil. Maybe you cook a lot with oils? Is your return vent near your kitchen?

Last edited:

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Ducts will NEVER look new after cleaning them folks.
You cant put water in them and scrub.
Often you will find a residual lining that will NOT come off 100%

Thats the real.

That being said,
This was a half ass job.
I agree with Grant.
There was little to no agitation performed. The Tech was obviously in a big rush and did NOT allow his whip enough dwell time as he was running it in and out of the duct work. You can not shove your whips in and pull em out too fast or the do not have the time needed to clean properly.

Reactions: emeraldclean