Need advice on cleaning hotel carpets using Encap

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Nrg9341

Apr 14, 2018
Real Name
Nelson Garcia
So I am about to land a job cleaning the carpets of a 14 floor hotel. I will be cleaning the hallways, rooms and 3 ballrooms on a quarterly basis. All I have is a 1200 psi portable (which does not have a fresh water tank it has to be hooked up to a water source), a 175 machine, bonnet pro encapsulation solution, 2 other spot treatment solutions from bonnet pro and a carpet brush for my 175 machine.

I did encapsulation cleaning a few times before I created my own business ( I used to work for a multi-billion dollar company). We used a crb machine and a vacuum.

So, Being that all I have is a 175 machine, what would be the best approach to get the carpets clean? Should I spray, then use my 175 with a brush then vacuum or should I spray, use my 175 with a bonnet and then vacuum? The carpets are not in bad shape at all. I will be treating a few spots here and there because the company they used to have never focused on treating spots and stains.

This is going to be a huge money maker for me so I just want to make sure I get the best results possible.

Thanks!!

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I’ve only used Robs Encap. But spray, agitate if needed with a brush in heavy traffic areas. Bonnet then Flip Bonnet. Let housekeeping Vacuum.

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
1- Vacuum Carpet Thoroughly And Slowly. Let The Vacuum Do The Work.

2- Apply Encap Solution On Approx. 200 Sq. Ft. At A Time.

3- Using Your 175 And Cotton Bonnets, Absorb Soils And Moisture. Be Sure To Overlap Each Pass by 1/4 To 1/2 Depending Upon Soiling Condition To Prevent Streaking. Continue Until You Get No More Soil Transfer.

4- Rake/Groom Carpet.

* I recommend spotting as you go along your 200 sq.ft. at a time. With a Low Moisture Soil Transfer Method you will find that you will not need to perform as much spotting as with other cleaning methods. Especially if you are using Bonnet Pro solutions.

* IF you have some very filthy areas of carpets to clean and you feel that you need some agitation, I HIGHLY recommend that you remove the more recent, layers of soil with a bonnet(s) FIRST, then use your carpet brush, then bonnet absorb again. The reason being is you will eliminate liquifing heavy soils, making a slurry of muck. You will achieve superior results this way. Understand?

Good luck and let us know how it came out.

Oct 1, 2018
Real Name
Lesia Caldwell
1- Vacuum Carpet Thoroughly And Slowly. Let The Vacuum Do The Work.

2- Apply Encap Solution On Approx. 200 Sq. Ft. At A Time.

3- Using Your 175 And Cotton Bonnets, Absorb Soils And Moisture. Be Sure To Overlap Each Pass by 1/4 To 1/2 Depending Upon Soiling Condition To Prevent Streaking. Continue Until You Get No More Soil Transfer.

4- Rake/Groom Carpet.

* I recommend spotting as you go along your 200 sq.ft. at a time. With a Low Moisture Soil Transfer Method you will find that you will not need to perform as much spotting as with other cleaning methods. Especially if you are using Bonnet Pro solutions.

* IF you have some very filthy areas of carpets to clean and you feel that you need some agitation, I HIGHLY recommend that you remove the more recent, layers of soil with a bonnet(s) FIRST, then use your carpet brush, then bonnet absorb again. The reason being is you will eliminate liquifing heavy soils, making a slurry of muck. You will achieve superior results this way. Understand?

Good luck and let us know how it came out.
How much sq ft will a supersurb pad cover on normal to med soil

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
How much sq ft will a supersurb pad cover on normal to med soil
I do not know as I have never used those bonnets before. But all it takes is for you to use them and keep track of how many square feet they last before having to flip them over or change them out. I only used Bonnet Pro Iron Man bonnets and microfiber bonnets from direct mop sales.

Oct 1, 2018
Real Name
Lesia Caldwell
I do not know as I have never used those bonnets before. But all it takes is for you to use them and keep track of how many square feet they last before having to flip them over or change them out. I only used Bonnet Pro Iron Man bonnets and microfiber bonnets from direct mop sales.
Thank you

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
You should not encap hotel rooms. That is gross and unsanitary. Would you want to stay in a hotel room that had been encaped? I wouldn't.

I love encap cleaning, and I would use it on the halls and ballrooms for sure, but its not going to work well for rooms. Wrong tool for the job.

Oct 1, 2018
Real Name
Lesia Caldwell
You should not encap hotel rooms. That is gross and unsanitary. Would you want to stay in a hotel room that had been encaped? I wouldn't.

I love encap cleaning, and I would use it on the halls and ballrooms for sure, but its not going to work well for rooms. Wrong tool for the job.
what’s gross in a hotel room is they don’t change the bed spread and only wash if something get on them use a uv light on that

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens

Not being a smart guy, serious guestion. But if the encap works correctly wouldn’t the Filth be vacuumed up buy housekeeping afterwards?

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
what’s gross in a hotel room is they don’t change the bed spread and only wash if something get on them use a uv light on that
I worked for a massive hotel change when young in Exe. Hspk and your 100% right. Housekeepers were instructed not to change bed spreads unless visibly dirty. We were to wash them on a interval schedule I can’t recall but it was once a year if I recall. But that rarely happened either.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States

The alternative is to sleep in a hotel where the owner runs a Rug Doctor over it about once a year because it's cheaper than hiring a pro. We've got those around here and trust me, encap is a HUGE improvement over what a lot of these hotels actually do.

The hotel that offers our students a discount when they come to classes is getting all kinds of grief from those same students, lol. They're going back to their rooms and pulling out the UV light, looking behind the AC unit... driving them crazy. :LOL:

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
A local motel here in our town invited me to bid cleaning their rooms. Actual cleaning not carpets. He got mad at me because I thought he was kidding. He wanted to pay $3.00 a room! When I asked him how much in US Dollars, well that’s when he got mad!

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I think a good vacuuming should be the first step of any carpet cleaning procedure.

Then use your 175 RM machines with bonnets. Some areas may benefit from a second pass. There are a few techniques you can learn in the hands-on portion of a class or on your own by trial and error, but it is a pretty simple procedure.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I have noticed spraying directly on pad, lightly on carpet, buffing, then Flipping pad over has been getting me nice results. I used to use a brush a lot more, but pads have been working better. Sometimes I use just a bonnet, sometimes I bonnet after the pad, all depends

BonnetPro

Oct 1, 2009
Pa
www.bonnetpro.com
Real Name
John Klucznik
Business Location
United States
I dont have a problem encapping the rooms unless you have a urine smell or blood stain.
With faster dry times you are more likely to not have a bacteria bloom that could occur with a carpet wet for hours with the in room air heater/cooler off. Plus the encap should starve existing bacteria of oxygen thus at least in theory killing it. The turn around time is better for the property.
That said, if the room is gross then extraction may be needed to help correct.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I'll never forget my very first customer here. He walked in wearing a natty suit and round-rimmed specs, like something out of a Steampunk cosplay, and started asking about carpet cleaning chemicals.

Within five minutes he informed me that he owned the [redacted] Inn down the road and was used to paying for discounted laundry detergent to put in his Rug Doctor, and he was furious that we wanted to charge him "ridiculous capitalist prices" for cleaning products. He said he would never ever hire a pro to clean his carpets because they were all "cheats and liars and charge too much, they want ten dollars a room!"

He insisted that I should give him his chemicals for free because he would then recommend us to all of his hotel-owning buddies... who also used Rug Doctors and looked for bargains on leaking bottles of laundry detergent.

Quite the first day, that was.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
New Jersey
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I'll never forget my very first customer here. He walked in wearing a natty suit and round-rimmed specs, like something out of a Steampunk cosplay, and started asking about carpet cleaning chemicals.

Within five minutes he informed me that he owned the [redacted] Inn down the road and was used to paying for discounted laundry detergent to put in his Rug Doctor, and he was furious that we wanted to charge him "ridiculous capitalist prices" for cleaning products. He said he would never ever hire a pro to clean his carpets because they were all "cheats and liars and charge too much, they want ten dollars a room!"

He insisted that I should give him his chemicals for free because he would then recommend us to all of his hotel-owning buddies... who also used Rug Doctors and looked for bargains on leaking bottles of laundry detergent.

Quite the first day, that was.
Was his last name Patel.....lol

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
If I say probably, will that get me in trouble?
A motel manager wanted to give us $3.00 to clean guest rooms. Actual cleaning not carpets. He showed me a room. This is 100% true.... the rooms he showed me had what I’d say looked like Mexican Tortillas but they were more yellow, and have “stuff” in them. The tortillas were all over the bed, floor, dresser, and such in both rooms. There were literally hundreds of tortillas drying all over the room. I never ever saw anything like it. He got mad when I pointed it out and laughed. He scolded me and said it was too windy out to dry them outside! Imagine wanting to pay a company $3 to clean rooms, yet you use the room to dry your food?! Nasty.
I should of Uv lighted his Indian tortillas. Yick!

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
A motel manager wanted to give us $3.00 to clean guest rooms. Actual cleaning not carpets. He showed me a room. This is 100% true.... the rooms he showed me had what I’d say looked like Mexican Tortillas but they were more yellow, and have “stuff” in them. The tortillas were all over the bed, floor, dresser, and such in both rooms. There were literally hundreds of tortillas drying all over the room. I never ever saw anything like it. He got mad when I pointed it out and laughed. He scolded me and said it was too windy out to dry them outside! Imagine wanting to pay a company $3 to clean rooms, yet you use the room to dry your food?! Nasty.
I should of Uv lighted his Indian tortillas. Yick!
From the sound of it, either naan bread (unleavened, stuffed with herbs and taters and very tasty) or papadums (made with lentil flour, delicious with chutney or raita).

Dunno if I'd eat either one after it was "cured" in a motel room, though. That's more mystery protein than I care to ingest. Ugh.