Navajo Rug Thoughts?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Recently picked up this rug from a client due to a fire damage in their home rug has some smoke damage no physical damage just smoke. Any thoughts on cleaning it. Client is very partial to this rug. He says its very old but looks to be in really good shape

20190531_184028.jpg

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
It looks small enough, for smoke damage I would take it to a dry cleaner. When you get it back open it up and air it out for a couple days so the solvent smell can dissipate. Apply a light deodorizer and deliver.

Reactions: sbsscn and SRD

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Take it somewhere? Wash it! I wash flat weaves all the time. Don’t dry clean it. Flood wash it. It’s wool, very simple to clean.

Reactions: sbsscn and SRD

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
You can go wash or dry solvent cleaning
BUT
Looks like a bleeder

If you have no experience with rugs of this type and that bleed,
then take it to a dry cleaner or someone that you trust to wash it for you.

Its easy for those of us who've done it, not so easy for the inexperienced

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
That’s true, but guys like SRD have what it takes to clean wool!

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Looks like it's bled already more than once, judging from the 'pink' invading the white areas.

Reactions: AZHome&Carpet

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Looks like it's bled already more than once, judging from the 'pink' invading the white areas.
No its in perfect condition color wise, that pink hue is coming from a neon open sign that hangs in my office that used to hang in my moms donut shop for years before she past away, I keep it on in my office kind of like a remembrance of my mom.

Last edited:

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
That’s true, but guys like SRD have what it takes to clean wool!
Ive been to several rug classes including Phil Ausrials in Colorado, I had a separate rug washing division with my old company used to do about 10 to 15 grand a month in rugs back in the day. Not scared to clean it at all but having said that I can only remember 1 or 2 Navajo rugs that came thru my shop in all that time. Its also been about 10 years since I was serious about washing rugs lol

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Look in my profile, theres a rug I cleaned that an insurance agent brought me back in the day. It was in a flood and bled. Let me know how I did:)

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Ive been to several rug classes including Phil Ausrials in Colorado, I had a separate rug washing division with my old company used to do about 10 to 15 grand a month in rugs back in the day. Not scared to clean it at all but having said that I can only remember 1 or 2 Navajo rugs that came thru my shop in all that time. Its also been about 10 years since I was serious about washing rugs lol
Oh I know that’s why I was rooting for you. This is Kinda controversial in the industry. But you can flood them and extract with a water claw. I’ve done that. I use dye lock, and bridgepoints other products on wool. But again sometimes water claw dry.

Reactions: SRD

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
It can be wet cleaned by submersion. But if you feel uncomfortable or don't have the equipment to get it dry quickly, you can also clean it like upholstery. Dry vacuum to remove soot. Pre-treat with a product for soot and smoke on textiles such as OmniPro Soot Wash for textiles. Legends Brands has product called Smoke Wash that also is very good. Then clean with dry type upholstery tool, prespray for wool rugs such as Wool Perfect or for natural upholstery fabrics. Rinse. Dry.

Reactions: SRD