Nautilus Auto Pump Out Float Switch

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Suction Junkie

Feb 24, 2011
Chicago Illinois
Real Name
Reuben Brumby
Business Location
United States
I had some time with the Nautilus extreme with apo and the one trouble spot that has been a thorn in my side is the a.p.o. float switch.

The Little Giant submersible pumpout is rated @18 g.p.m.
No problems with it!, the issue is getting the float valve to the exact correct mounting position...
I'm thinking most engineers would scratch their heads on this one, either you mount it too high and the float pump doesn't turn on in time to prevent water from being sucked in, or, you mount it too low and the pum p never shuts off! .

The float switch I had went bad and I'm having it replaced under warranty by interlink.

Apparently there is a diaphragm float switch made by Little Giant that is activated by the water pressure in the waste tank that may be the solution to this issue.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of float switch? Any recommendations or issues?

I've seen the low level model as low as $62 on Amazon, but It is like $107 from Grainger, why the price difference for the same exact model?

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
I had some time with the Nautilus extreme with apo and the one trouble spot that has been a thorn in my side is the a.p.o. float switch.

The Little Giant submersible pumpout is rated @18 g.p.m.
No problems with it!, the issue is getting the float valve to the exact correct mounting position...
I'm thinking most engineers would scratch their heads on this one, either you mount it too high and the float pump doesn't turn on in time to prevent water from being sucked in, or, you mount it too low and the pum p never shuts off! .

The float switch I had went bad and I'm having it replaced under warranty by interlink.

Apparently there is a diaphragm float switch made by Little Giant that is activated by the water pressure in the waste tank that may be the solution to this issue.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of float switch? Any recommendations or issues?

I've seen the low level model as low as $62 on Amazon, but It is like $107 from Grainger, why the price difference for the same exact model?
Lint and Sand Build up in the Dump Tanks. A Pressure activated switch may not be best if debris can trigger it off.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
I do not know much about that switch you posted. Looks sealed. It seems they also make a switch that floats.

1/2 HP dirty submersible water pump with float switch.

1521086515508.png

Suction Junkie

Feb 24, 2011
Chicago Illinois
Real Name
Reuben Brumby
Business Location
United States
So I got this pump with the pressure activated switch. Guess what.. IT DOESNT WORK EITHER!
It will only work when both vacs have completely shut off! This is seriously fustrating! I'm thinking I need to install a wireless remote control that will manually dump from the 4 th floor of a town home!

Any ideas?
5_series_Product.png

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
So I got this pump with the pressure activated switch. Guess what.. IT DOESNT WORK EITHER!
It will only work when both vacs have completely shut off! This is seriously fustrating! I'm thinking I need to install a wireless remote control that will manually dump from the 4 th floor of a town home!

Any ideas? View attachment 77098
Float switch and check valve on outlet maybe. Goliath uses a simple pvc check valve that stops vac leak when pump shuts off.
IMG_5544.JPG
IMG_5545.JPG

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Reuben
Both @Bob Savage and @Jim Davisson use a pond pump with a float switch similar to pic (both I believe
IMG_5942[1].JPG
use a higher GPM pump). I haven't tried due to lack of room for a float switch. On the left is the brass check valve I use.
Does it work with full vacuum not needing to shut off vacuums to properly work ? Questions for Bob & Jim.
My little giant pond pump runs constantly however I must shut off vacuum to prime . Once primed it never stops nor do I have to "jump start" again except if the filter is dirty and its running slow . GPM could be higher for a constant flowing upholstery tool or a spinner attached to the water hog. More GPM requires more amperage so ...........
Jim

Suction Junkie

Feb 24, 2011
Chicago Illinois
Real Name
Reuben Brumby
Business Location
United States
Reuben
Both @Bob Savage and @Jim Davisson use a pond pump with a float switch similar to pic (both I believe View attachment 77103 use a higher GPM pump). I haven't tried due to lack of room for a float switch. On the left is the brass check valve I use.
Does it work with full vacuum not needing to shut off vacuums to properly work ? Questions for Bob & Jim.
My little giant pond pump runs constantly however I must shut off vacuum to prime . Once primed it never stops nor do I have to "jump start" again except if the filter is dirty and its running slow . GPM could be higher for a constant flowing upholstery tool or a spinner attached to the water hog. More GPM requires more amperage so ...........
Jim
The little giant pump I have us a 18 gpm pump and its not supposed to run dry...

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
My setup is a Bob Savage copy. I use a 1000 GPH mag drive pond pump (you can go bigger, 800 was marginal for the LX's), next is a swing check valve and then it exits at the top of the tank. I use the exact float switch keep it clean posted above. It draws only 92 watts when it's on. I have a ball valve on the outside that keeps it from leaking during transport. It will siphon a small amount while in use between pump out cycle's if I am on the second floor and run it outside to the first floor. I use a 6' garden hose for short runs and ½" air hose for long runs. I have mine set really low to pumpout often, I even trimmed the float switch stem.

Garden hose QC on left side.
20180412_184126.jpg

20180403_170221.jpg

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
My setup is a Bob Savage copy. I use a 1000 GPH mag drive pond pump (you can go bigger, 800 was marginal for the LX's), next is a swing check valve and then it exits at the top of the tank. I use the exact float switch keep it clean posted above. It draws only 92 watts when it's on. I have a ball valve on the outside that keeps it from leaking during transport. It will siphon a small amount while in use between pump out cycle's if I am on the second floor and run it outside to the first floor. I use a 6' garden hose for short runs and ½" air hose for long runs. I have mine set really low to pumpout often, I even trimmed the float switch stem.

Garden hose QC on left side. View attachment 77119
View attachment 77120
Jim
No filter before the pump out ? The filter housing they provide is large.
Gave my original PVC inline Devastator filter to another cleaner . Worked great but took up a lot of room and I use two filters with in the recovery tank for the APO.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Full filter (both above and this one are older pictures). Always tweaking something lol
View attachment 77125
No room for anything like that ! I have a filter made out of fiberglass drywall sanding paper then drop the whole APO unit in a 1 gallon paint strainer bag. Both less tear resistant than knee highs.
Depends on the amount of pet hair and if I vacuum as to how long between filter changes.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States

Suction Junkie

Feb 24, 2011
Chicago Illinois
Real Name
Reuben Brumby
Business Location
United States

Suction Junkie

Feb 24, 2011
Chicago Illinois
Real Name
Reuben Brumby
Business Location
United States

Any ideas? View attachment 77098
Float switch and check valve on outlet maybe. Goliath uses a simple pvc check valve that stops vac leak when pump shuts off. View attachment 77099 View attachment 77100
So I ended up getting the float switch you pictured and I tested it out and it works fine! Although I haven't done any field tests I will tommorow. Thanks!

Suction Junkie

Feb 24, 2011
Chicago Illinois
Real Name
Reuben Brumby
Business Location
United States
So I did a few jobs and the pump worked fine until this weekend when I did a bigger job the pump stopped working
This time the switch was working but the pump was making a quiet hum and was hot to the touch.
Is my pump done?